July 1, 2019 Insurance may become mandatory.

The new proposal which the Cabinet has agreed to (but which is not yet law) has already been translated and, for me, and numerous experts on Thai Visa matters on this and other Visa forums, is quite clear. Relying on what a Phuket health official has said is, in my view, unwise.

If it turns out that Extensions are included, you'll have plenty of opportunity to be pleased with yourself. But I think you are unnecessarily concerned.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm not advocating any particular interpretation just saying it's too premature for anyone to claim a definitive answer.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the whole Moph announcement run through google translate, not one word about renewals, extensions, etc

Department of Health Service Support (Department of Health Sciences) reveals additional criteria for making health insurance for foreigners. The applicant for a temporary visa Non-Immigrant Visa O-A code (1 year period) has been approved by the Cabinet on 2 April 2019 as a measure to protect the health of tourists. And reduce the burden of carrying medical expenses that make up the bad debt of Thai medical institutions. Dr. Natthawut Prasertsiripong Director-General of the Department of Health Service Support The Ministry of Public Health revealed that the Cabinet has approved the addition of health insurance regulations for foreigners who have temporarily applied for a visa. Non-Immigrant Visa O-A code (1 year period), piloted in the elderly group of foreigners, 50 years or older, with validity period 1 Year and year of year To create a mechanism to protect the lives and health of foreigners Due to foreigners encountering problems, the elderly group has the opportunity to experience health problems more than those applying for other types of signatures. In order to prevent bad debts of nursing homes Because some people do not have enough property to pay for medical expenses Resulting in the hospital having to bear the bad debt problem Therefore assigned the Ministry of Public Health Ministry of the Interior Ministry of Foreign Affairs And the Immigration Bureau Accelerate the improvement of relevant regulations And the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) together with related agencies to prepare the online insurance purchase channels To facilitate foreigners Non-Immigrant Visa O-A code (1 year period) By adding to foreigners having Thai health insurance coverage throughout the period of stay in Thailand With the sum insured for medical expenses in case of outpatient not less than 4 thousand baht, inpatient not less than 4 hundred thousand baht. The policy can be purchased online at http // longstay.tgia.org For those who buy health insurance for foreign companies, the amount of insurance must not be less than that of Thai health insurance as specified. Which may be considered for approval to be used to request a visa In addition, discussions with relevant agencies about how to check the policy are also required. For those who are at higher risk for health than the insurance company can accept By private insurers offering a fixed deposit In order to have sufficient funds to live Medical treatment and others While staying in Thailand Which must be discussed with the Office of Immigration and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

You sure about that?!?
What does

and year of year

mean?

Seriously relying on Google translate for Thai to English?!?

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I was getting the quote from the first Thaivisa thread.

See above  ,the actual announcement that I put through google translate.

You mean this one?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1100302-health-insurance-mandatory-for-long-stay-foreigners-in-thailand/#comments

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.

6 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

Seems to me some are just splitting hairs and examining the minutia for some crumb to exploit.

The basic fact is it applies to O A Visa, nothing stated about extensions.(which are not visas )

An OA visa issued outside the Kingdom.

Thats it, thats all, (for now).

Anything else is pure speculation and unneccesary panic.

As it applies to OA (outside) local immigration offices wont even be handling it anyway.

Yet another over reaction by many guessing on what might happen next.

Renew their visa means extension. 

"According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year. "

Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners

By The Nation

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You sure about that?!?
What does

and year of year

mean?

Seriously relying on Google translate for Thai to English?!?

It appears to translate ok, certainly doesn't mention other visa or extensions etc. year of year probably relates to the vusa lasts 1 year but gives a 1 year stay each entry.

No Gods here.

Did I say they were Gods? They are just pretty expert on Thai visa matters. That's all. I prefer to believe their interpretation rather than bad translations of a Phuket health official. It seems clear to me but, like many things in Thailand, anything can happen.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Did I say they were Gods? They are just pretty expert on Thai visa matters. That's all. I prefer to believe their interpretation rather than bad translations of a Phuket health official. It seems clear to me but, like many things in Thailand, anything can happen.

Phuket

Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng

confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay.
Since O-A are only issued in your home country why would the Phuket immigration chief be involved with them?

Who is the Phuket health official you are writing about?

22 hours ago, thaitero said:

It is quite obvious mandatory insurance will be applied to extensions also in near future. All the weak and not so weak signs tell that and can be read if one has any common sense.. There may be some transition period with Visas only first to test systems but nevertheless extension based permits will follow.

Unfortunately have to agree with you ???? besides and as far as I know its very few foreigners on O-A visas compared to extensions.

What I think about that is advice about long standing rules and interpretation of very new very unclear stuff that aren't even police orders yet are entirely different things. We're dealing with the latter here.

We will have to wait to be sure. 

For the ones who have no patience, and/or are convinced that marcusarelus interpretation is the only correct one, they can do their shopping now to get an insurance which include the 40000/400000 requirement.

Or start to packing if they don't want or can fulfil the 40000/400000 demand. 

Phuket
Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng
confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay.
Since O-A are only issued in your home country why would the Phuket immigration chief be involved with them?

Who is the Phuket health official you are writing about?
Dr Natthawut, the guy you quoted previously.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It would seem so, although he was misquoted in the Phuket News.

How do you know he was misquoted or perhaps your source was in error and Phuket news was correct?

How do you know he was misquoted or perhaps your source was in error and Phuket news was correct?
Sorry. I meant poorly translated. I have no sources. Just reading the various reports and comments. Nowhere has it been reported, to the best of my knowledge, that Extensions are affected.

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sorry. I meant poorly translated. I have no sources. Just reading the various reports and comments. Nowhere has it been reported, to the best of my knowledge, that Extensions are affected.

If Phuket is a poor translation where is a better translation?  For example Phuket wrote, "The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay"  and  "Dr Nutthawut explained that the move was a joint policy decision by the MoPH, the Ministry of Foreign Affiars and the Immigration Bureau."

https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#8gv9rQLimyHevELq.97

On 5/15/2019 at 8:57 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

It has nothing to do with Extensions. Just applications for OA visas (and OX visas which have had a compulsory insurance requirement for some time) which can only be applied for outside Thailand.

You have nothing to worry about, although why anyone would live here without insurance is beyond me.

my question is why would anyone pay such a BS industry as insurance?

Some write on here it could cost him 100k per year for cover of 400k!

that is complete BS joke in anyones language!

and even then you have the chance they wont pay up for some reason.

If you in reasonable health dont drive, ride, smoke or drink to much, Thailand have little risk really.

I known many guys been here 10 years and had no problem they would need insurance for and all will have saved millions of baht allready.

Actually the only risk i can see is the Thai ladies but if it goes bad they probably will finish you off for good so no need to worry about that

Marcusarelus may be right or than maybe not. 

I am 19 years full time in Thailand, 70+ old. 

Always Wait & See was/is my motto.

In 19 years I have read many things. 

I am still here with no money in a Thai bank and no need to transfer 65000 monthly to Thailand. 

Others are not so lucky. 

I renew my "Retirement Visa" and I am in principle OK till February 2020.

Pretty sure marcusarelus took already the necessary steps, what ever they may be. 

Wish him the best, as I wish everyone the best. 

21 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Is there anyone already which have a health insurance policy in any of the insurance companies included in the ones recommended in this link https://longstay.tgia.org/ and can recommend one of the least hassle free to use if needed without have to show up with a pile of documents if admitted to a hospital?

Thanks

Felt

AXA, I had a card issued by them and it was all I was required to show. They paid the bill directly. (I had to use my CC to get the hospital to 'go ahead' until they got the nod from AXA). It was an accident claim.

I prefer not to make recommendations though. 

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

AXA, I had a card issued by them and it was all I was required to show. They paid the bill directly. (I had to use my CC to get the hospital to 'go ahead' until they got the nod from AXA). It was an accident claim.

Thanks....already have a accident insurance with them (AXA) and will check out their health insurance cover and premium.

Felt

was it a motorcycle accident claim? 30k-80k cover on the compulsory insurance? hospital should kick the 30k in straight away

On 5/15/2019 at 8:51 PM, marcusarelus said:

If the insurance purchase was only for use outside of Thailand why would the insurance companies do all that work to get websites up and why would the Ministry pay for

WELCOME TO THAILAND

Apply for Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa.  https://longstay.tgia.org/

They would not do that if it were not to be used for extensions. 

It's obvious.  They said it incorrectly but all the work of the ministry and insurance companies makes it plain what is their intent. 

For O-X 5 year long stay visa. Refer the Thai Embassy in London Web Site 

Insurance required for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay) 5 Year per entries/Multiple entries

O-X"

For applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working, and who are nationals of of (1) Japan (2) Australia (3) Denmark (4) Finland (5) France (6) Germany (7) Italy (8) Netherlands (9) Norway (10) Sweden (11) Switzerland (12) United Kingdom (13) Canada (14) United States of America

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

was it a motorcycle accident claim? 30k-80k cover on the compulsory insurance? hospital should kick the 30k in straight away

No, a clumsy clutz accident.

Archived