What are they seeking?

chingmai331

Driving tonight some slow lanes in San Sai and could hardly believe the number of local folk, all with powerful flashlights (electric torchs) combing the bushes and maybe the soils seeking ???

Since this activity is very recent it is probably related to the recent rains and some kind of plant/animal growth or proliferation.  I did notice masses of flying insects buzzing the outdoor lamps.  

But what is attracting the attention?  Some favorite food like mushrooms, or some exotic beetle with golden wings, or maybe fat grubs for the bar-b.

Does anyone know anything about this Thai pastime? 

Could be frogs,the pools left by the recent rains will be full

of them breeding, it's also a wonder someone has not been

on here complaining about the noise they make ????

regards worgeordie

Like previously stated , it is the frogs. After the rains in our village , the roads are full of people on motor bikes roaming round looking for frogs. 

I see them riding past with bag fulls of them. I have been told they can sell them for 300 baht a kilo. 

It is the only time I see lights on a bike at night .

They are hunting a subterranean ant that has wings and come out in the early evening at this time of year.  the Thais call them Maengman, they are called carebara by entomologists.  The Thais catch them and fry cook them to as a snack or mix them with other foods.   image.png.b7b5cbeee82bf094d5f3db38cdc7dbe7.png

They are hunting a subterranean ant that has wings and come out in the early evening at this time of year.  the Thais call them Maengman, they are called carebara by entomologists.  The Thais catch them and fry cook them to as a snack or mix them with other foods.   image.png.b7b5cbeee82bf094d5f3db38cdc7dbe7.png

Like these. The family has been catching them the last couple of evenings.IMG_0686.JPG

Archived