BANGKOK 27 June 2019 07:34
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, poohy said:

Or a better idea 

someone post a real insurance certificate that we can all copy / forge

That was My Thai mate in Bangkok immediate suggestion

We have to learn to think like them

You can go buy anything like that on the deep web markets for 10-50 dollars. You forget that Thais get away with a fine and wai for fraud, we do not.
Also in the scenario you do manage to fake it, and then get in the hospital without coverage or money, they will find out.

They might be stupid with all the data they collect today but a computer system in the future will map it all out visually in X years from now.
There is no data retention for the government here either.

Do not underestimate the power of (digital) data, it works against us already and will even more in the future.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tabarin said:

You can go buy anything like that on the deep web markets for 10-50 dollars. You forget that Thais get away with a fine and wai for fraud, we do not.
Also in the scenario you do manage to fake it, and then get in the hospital without coverage or money, they will find out.

Fully aware of that but seriously do think they can or would be able to check

Anyway Agents will up their fee to include such certificate..job done!

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, poohy said:

Fully aware of that but seriously do think they can or would be able to check

Anyway Agents will up their fee to include such certificate..job done!

They won't be able to check, but they can check and see it when you use medical services. For example in the event of an accident.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tabarin said:

If you have not go it now and you wanted it just to "get past the Post' it would not matter one iota 

1 minute ago, poohy said:

If you have not go it now and you wanted it just to "get past the Post' it would not matter one iota 

High chance you will be caught if thinking and doing like that in the near future due to big data systems. 
This only still works today, when you would still be awake and able to pay it yourself.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, expat1010 said:

Aside from the fact, that their facts seem out of whack. I wonder if they will drop the requirement for 800,000 in the bank for those who have the mandatory health insurance? Since that was one of the main justifications for the 800k in the first place.Me thinks they no longer want western retirees taking up residence in Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

They will not drop it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If all these millions of OA visa holders are skipping their hospital bills then why don’t they chase em up !!

After all , what with the TM 30 and 90 days reporting they are easily tracked down emoji848.png

Skipping=Dying  

Btw....I think someone pulled these figures out his a$$

10 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

That's an optional travel insurance program for incoming travelers.... not a mandatory insurance requirement for tourists to Thailand.

25 minutes ago, tabarin said:

A Western person well trained in Thai ways/language can get away with more than most Thai.

You will not get caught at the hospital if you arrange to pay cash. You do not have to use your insurance. Anyway, most insurance refuses to pay for many things, so you'll need to cough up cash.  

Would somebody like to explain to me what a long stay O-A visa is??

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, rabas said:

A Western person well trained in Thai ways/language can get away with more than most Thai.

You will not get caught at the hospital if you arrange to pay cash. You do not have to use your insurance. Anyway, most insurance refuses to pay for many things, so you'll need to cough up cash.  

Yeah and how many well trained Thai speaking 50 year ups did you meet in Thailand, combined with having money too (and then most likely not having this problem)? I think it comes down to even less than there are richer Thais, who get away with it.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Yeah and how many well trained Thai speaking 50 year ups did you meet in Thailand, combined with heaving money too (and then most likely not having this problem)?

The ones who know how to get around in Thailand are not the ones heaving money. Money heavers usually just heave money.

1 hour ago, eddysmit said:

I would think you 'hit the nail on the head' with the bulk of the numbers being from neighboring countries.

You are probably correct but the visitors from neighbouring countries probably can't afford to pay, even in the Gov't hospitals, so they're looking to the demographic that can afford to pay.  i.e. those on O-A visa's.

FWIW, my experience with Thai health insurance is poor.... I was with BUPA (Now Aetna) and after initially agreeing that I was covered for a slipped disc laminectomy, they defaulted and I had to pay personally, (just under 200k), as they'd said it was a pre-existing condition.  I had declared on the proposal that I suffered for years with occasional back pains, and they had accepted this without comment that it would be excluded.  Bastards!!

So if they try to insist any mandatory (but largely worthless) insurance cover at my next extension I will be on the next flight to somewhere else... easy for me though, with few ties though.. 

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's an optional travel insurance program for incoming travelers.... not a mandatory insurance requirement for tourists to Thailand.

What part of 'Future development' do you not understand? Your not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?

• Like 1