BANGKOK
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

Fully aware of that but seriously do think they can or would be able to check
Anyway Agents will up their fee to include such certificate..job done!

Ok..but if you are rushed to hospital with eg..a burst ulcer .. exactly what good will a " mickey mouse " bit of forged paper do you.

NOT A LOT

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You can take Indonesia and Vietnam off the list as they both have compulsory insurance for expats.

Have you a link re Vietnam - a bar stool lawyer I know disagrees!

11 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

Not only medication but conning people into all sorts of test that are not needed and overcharging for those 

Good point, although already mentioned. Possibly a great proportion of "bill skippers" wouldn't be doing it if the prices were more reasonable, and if the Government had clamped down on these blatant scams (as they said they were going to do!) then there would be less need for these latest "fleece the elderly farang" measures!

For what it’s worth......

I have been looking at Thai embassy and Thai consulate websites in Canada and USA searching for requirements for O-A and O-X visa applications.  The O-X requirements include the insurance policy.  The O-A requirements do NOT!

Just sayin.

It all remains to be seen, eh?

2 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

// The O-X requirements include the insurance policy.

The O-A requirements do NOT! //

Did you read this thread, or at least its title ? From July:wink:

• Haha 1

For what it’s worth......
I have been looking at Thai embassy and Thai consulate websites in Canada and USA searching for requirements for O-A and O-X visa applications.  The O-X requirements include the insurance policy.  The O-A requirements do NOT!

Just sayin.

It all remains to be seen, eh?

The OA has been around many years and has never required health insurance.
The OX is relatively new ( less than 1 year ? ) and they introduced the health insurance requirement.

Now ( from July 1 ) all new OA visas require the health insurance, so it hasn’t happened yet therefore is not on Embassy websites.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Number of foreign visitors: 38 million

Number of medical visits by them: 3.42 million

Number of non-immigrant (O-A) visa holders: 80,950

Number of unpaid medical bills: 680,000

Outstanding debt: Bt305 million

Can or will the Health Department tell us of the 305 million in outstanding debt what percentage of this is due to foreign visitors (I assume this means tourists) and what percent is due from long term visa holders?...

Also what does the term “Outstanding Debt” mean?... Is this the loss for that year or the cumulative over all the past years?

Its sad that they can’t find a way to add a 100 baht surcharge to all flight arrivals to cover these costs... But instead they are choosing to turn this into a police enforcement exercise...  

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 2

I think they are being unfair to those who need to have health insurance to start it on 1 July.  They should give a year of grace to get the insurance.  It will not be easy for those over 70 to find a health insurance company to take you.  It is not going to happen overnight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

I think they are being unfair to those who need to have health insurance to start it on 1 July.  They should give a year of grace to get the insurance.  It will not be easy for those over 70 to find a health insurance company to take you.  It is not going to happen overnight.

https://longstay.tgia.org/

6 companies that will take you. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

For more than a few pieces of silver... :coffee1:

70.000 to 100,000+

3 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Only Non O-A visas... Non O visas not included?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I agree entirely... But instead, they chose for some inexplicable reason to take aim at the O-A group who, by definition, have already have to prove they have significant funds just in order to qualify for the O-A, not to mention, at least being healthy enough to travel internationally back to their home country every year or two to apply for a new O-A.

Just to note the actual details:

--with the O-A insurance proposal, O-A holders would have to have coverage for at least 400,000 in inpatient expenses...

--and yet to simply qualify for an O-A, the applicant already has to prove at least 800,000 baht in their bank account or monthly income of at least 65,000 baht or a combination of the two. O-As are typically NOT the destitute ones.

If they were actually aiming to address the actual problem of unpaid foreigner hospital bills, by and large, they most likely took aim in entirely the wrong direction in the big scheme of things. Not surprisingly.

O-A does not require any baht bank balance.

• Confused 1

I want to get an OA this week and plan on spending July - December most likely. I wonder if I can get month-to-month medical?

I will be in and out often, 30 days might be a bit tight tho.