BANGKOK
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The figures have been adjusted, seems like the 38 million was visitors !!
OA visa holders for 2018 was 80,950 .

Good to know they can report correct information, even if it takes them two goes! 🤣

38 million!!! 🙄 Who allowed that to go to press!? 🤔

• Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 9:46 AM, dauu said:

In the article that was presented in Link, this figure of 38 million does not appear anymore

Non-immigrant (O-A) visa holders: 38 million 

Number of medical visits by them: 3.42 million

Number of unpaid medical bills: 680,000

Number of long-stay expats seeking medical services: 80,950

Outstanding debt: Bt305 million

it is still there? on the link page 11, you might have to look for it though???? or did you not look?

or do you work in immigration? there is enough misinformation on here already. 

• Like 1

I know 2 guys , one 75 and the other in his 80's. Barley living month to month on poor pensions. They dont give a rats about health insurance and must be thousands more like them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 pages of this "Sky is Falling" crap, and still, most replies are totally wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

I wrote to a friend of mine in the US who is in his 70 and who has been coming to Thailand on the Non-immigrant O-A in the past.  When informed that he will need to purchase the "Pay $3000 dollars for $13,000 worth of insurance that will not cover any of his current medical problems" he essentially said, "Hell no I won't be returning to Thailand."  Just like that.  As he said to me, he's been coming here for years, has gone to hospitals and paid cash for services, and hasn't shelled out more than $300 no less the $3000 he'd have to pay for the 'privilege' of returning.

That's what you'll begin to hear from individuals who currently use the Non-imm O-A once they implement the wealth transfer from foreigners to Thai insurance companies in the form of 'mandatory insurance policies' that are over-priced and offer next to nothing in actual insurance coverage.

The Thai government just put a stake though the heart of the Non-imm O-A program imho.

So they will probably come after long-stay Non-imm O and Non-imm M next as their friends in the Thai insurance company won't get their 'Windfall Profits' by attempting to fleece Non-imm O-A holders.  They figure they will have a captured audience with retired and married expats who have invested assets in Thailand who are waiting in the wings to be hog-tied and sheep-sheared. 

Well, those assets can be liquidate before we leave.

that's one guy. Thousands already living here with zip zero nada insurance

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

When I asked at the  Chonburi Immigration  information desk yesterday. when is this Health  Insurance law  going to start,   he replied  " I don't know what you talking about, there is no new law,  its fake news"
That's most likely because it has zero to do with Immigration offices in Thailand. The visas that will require insurance (OX which already does, and OA from 1 July) can only be purchased at Thai Embassies overseas. Nothing to do with Immigration offices in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

So the 80,950 OA holders made 3.42 million visits to hospitals and left 680,000 unpaid bills? 

80,950     expats on Non-imm O-A
3,420,000 visits

680,000   unpaid bills

3,420,000 / 80,950 = 42.2

680,000 / 80,950 = 8.4

Wow.  Talk about an unhealthy bunch of people.  These moochers come to Thailand and make 42.2 visits to hospitals a year each, and then each leave 8.4 hospital bills unpaid on average. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That's most likely because it has zero to do with Immigration offices in Thailand. The visas that will require insurance (OX which already does, and OA from 1 July) can only be purchased at Thai Embassies overseas. Nothing to do with Immigration offices in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

How about because they have not finished all the details on how they are going to handle it.  It will and does affect us.  Count of it.  Also, stop attacking the one who gives you the bad news.

Edited by Mango Bob