BANGKOK 20 June 2019 00:38
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

So you think they are going to only make those who apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate have health insurance but that those who live here and do an extension of stay year after year do not need health insurance.  Think about it.
Who knows what they will do in the future. However the current proposal is only for visas not Extensions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Who knows what they will do in the future. However the current proposal is only for visas not Extensions.

I want to hope you are right, but I still have my doubts about it.  But if we do have to have the insurance they are given us so little time to prepare.  For a 50-year-old is not as bad, but when your 71 and have hypertension and a heart valve replaced it going to take some time to find an insurer.  I have health insurance as a retired military soldier but it has no policy only your id card and that you have part a and b from Medicare.  I know it better than the 40,000/400,000 they want you to have.  But how do you prove that to a Thai IO.

• Like 1

I'm one of the thousands, had 5 trips to government hospital in the last four weeks (3 were to emergency).
My hospital bill was 1,500bht ........... (paying from 600bht to 77bht per visit)

Tell me why I need insurance again?
Bit of a wait (2-5hrs) each visit, didn't mind the 50bht extra foreigner charge on the bill, but can't fault the service
Sure until you have full body stroke and then end up with double pneumonia like my body did. 1.5 million baht

Sent from my star using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

I have health insurance as a retired military soldier but it has no policy only your id card and that you have part a and b from Medicare.  I know it better than the 40,000/400,000 they want you to have.  But how do you prove that to a Thai IO.

Letter from Embassy..........unless of course you're from the US, UK, or Australia..........😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Thanks for the clarification, always best to get 'actual experience' even in the face of contradictory 'official' website directives, and allowing for the variances we all experience between individual local IO's.

Incidentally and out of interest, presumably your first O-A was obtained at home, with the Medical/Police Clearance certification.   When you're extending (in your case Ayutthaya), do you have to provide new certification?

Given that local IO's are able to process O-A extensions, and as it appears that that category is the only one affected by the proposed medical insurance mandate, I can foresee much wailing and gnashing of teeth by IO's at checking individual insurance documentation, not all of which will be of local (Thai) origin.   They are unable to verify income sources other than Embassy letters, which doesn't bode well when you throw multi lingual health insurance policies into the mix. 

Yup, if the MFA website can’t get the rulings correct what hope do we have ?? 😬

Yes my OA was obtained in London, police check ( ACRO ) done online and the medical certificate done in Thailand ( a lot easier and cheaper, not many do it that way ).

Basically when your visa expires ( after 1 year ) , and if you have been prudent and obtained a second year, you are then on permission to stay based on retirement which is then extended the same as other extensions ( not marriage which is more involved ). No more requirements, police, medical etc .

Sooo, your OA is gone and forgotten, now you are on permission to stay , although on extension the form asks you what visa you entered Thailand on it has been reported on TVF that they don’t distinguish between non imm B, O or OA and you can write Non Imm.

• Like 1

The first thing everyone needs to realize is the stats do not matter. What if all the stats are correct? What if they are all wrong? It does not matter. They are saying the reason is unpaid medical debt, so that is that. They could have cited an increase in elephant turds on streets as the reason. That would not matter either.

What do you think you are going to do, prove a stat is wrong and get the decision reversed?! 

All that matters is they seem to have decided to target o-a visa applications. 

• Like 2

in the UK you would pay 16,000 baht annually for the NHS surcharge which comes with unlimited coverage both in and out patient, no pre-existing conditon exclusions and its for any age

mandatory for long stay settlement visas 

source: https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/how-much-pay

oh and of course being a developed country, after 5 years they give you a passport and you don't have to pay it ever again.

not 50-250K every year until you die broke in your late 90s with a policy that covered $%$% all of consequence.

And a BUPA Private Hospital would be???

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/15/2019 at 9:27 PM, Denim said:

Lies , Damn lies and statistics. 

Thank you Mark Twain.😊

42 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

anyways we should know soon enough 

Or maybe not so soon.

For example the actual specific enforcement rules for combo method applications without embassy letters are STILL very unclear, especially when considering the varying interpretations at different offices. 

Sometimes clarity takes a really long time here. 

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Who knows?! All Immigration law can change. The current plans however only affect OA visas which can only be applied for in the applicant's home country.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Who knows what the O-A will require because there is no law and no changes made so far.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You should probably say, In my opinion it is only for visas not extensions.  I think a reasonable man looking at all the information available would not really have a definitive answer one could take to the bank given how high the stakes are for some, wife and children and family.  If I took your advice I wouldn't have any new insurance ready to go when I hit immigration on the last day of June - which is the earliest I can apply.