BANGKOK 18 August 2019 14:31
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, rabas said:

The one good argument that it does not apply to existing retirees would be that it applies only to people asking for new A-O visas from the MFA/Embassies. The MFA may not have authority to make demands of people already in country. MFA's jurisdiction is overseas, entry into the country.

I agree with your line of thinking... The Thai Immigration Police are going to be reluctant to sign up to be on the front line of tossing out a bunch of fragile 70 year olds out of the country to solve another ministries budget problems...

Edited by sfokevin

On an annual basis it just means a few less high end cars for the elite.    🙄

54 minutes ago, rabas said:

The one good argument that it does not apply to existing retirees would be that it applies only to people asking for new A-O visas from the MFA/Embassies. The MFA may not have authority to make demands of people already in country. MFA's jurisdiction is overseas, entry into the country.

But unless Immigration want to see evidence of the necessary insurance on entry to the country, then you would probably be uninsured during the 2nd year of using your O-A.

Fake insurance cover will be rife you watch.. Won't be hard to fake an overseas company with a letter headed piece of paper.. Even if they call the number you could inform someone back home to take the call.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hashmodha said:

I would like to take a bet Cambodian, Vietnam, Mynmar illegal Labourers are a significant part of this   Problem...why are the Hospitals taking on patients who cannot pay?...

Because they are hospitals, treat sick and injured! Where you come from they don’t?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

That could be the reason why they may not accept foreign insurances.

Remember, they didn't say yet that they would accept them...

If a foreigner already has insurance provided by an agent overseas, the policy must provide the same amount of coverage, Dr Nutthawut said.

If you have insurance from an insurance agent overseas, that policy will be honored as long as it has enough coverage to cover the amount stated in the requirements above.

I'll wait and see. If I had a heart attack over every crazy initiative the Thai government brings out I'd be long dead. Usually, when the dust settles, it's business as usual.

23 minutes ago, steve73 said:

It's not just the fresh money being brought into the country that's at stake.  The 65k per month that you spend gets' "recycled" a few times also.  The bar/restaurant you use, uses that cash to buy from its suppliers, and to pay its staff, and they reuse that same cash to pay for their own stuff.  This "so-called" velocity of money can multiply the effect of the original income by around 5 or more..

So your conservative 6.3 Billion baht shortfall, becomes more like 30Bn, or 100x the paltry saving in bad deb they are trying to recoup.. 

These people only see one thing: how to fleece foreigners.  By the time they figured out that there stupidity kill the geese that laid golden eggs, they'll have figured out a scapegoat to blame other than themselves. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If a foreigner already has insurance provided by an agent overseas, the policy must provide the same amount of coverage, Dr Nutthawut said.

Unsure where you have read that, but I remember reading something like "health insurance for foreign companies may be considered for approval" on the initial announcement.

And BTW, how many of us have a foreign insurance that covers 40'000B Out Patient ?