BANGKOK 18 August 2019 11:53
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

13 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

So you think they are going to only make those who apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate have health insurance but that those who live here and do an extension of stay year after year do not need health insurance.  Think about it.

Its known as Thai Logic .

12 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Too confusing for me now, TV forum seems to change its story from day to day. I think I'll just wait until I have to renew my I year extension of stay and see what immigration says.

When will your O-A visa expire.

Just now, Huckenfell said:

When will your O-A visa expire.

If it's a single entry, it already has if he's in the country.

10 hours ago, hashmodha said:

I would like to take a bet Cambodian, Vietnam, Mynmar illegal Labourers are a significant part of this   Problem...why are the Hospitals taking on patients who cannot pay?...

That is a good point which perhaps explains the figures.

explains the figures

• Like 1

What nationality's are involved,???? just the other day a Lao women told me she would apply for a Thai working permit in order to be insured under the 30 bath Thai medical health scheme, expecting major surgery to be included in this FREE insurance. 

So without discriminating, there should be a more detailed explanation of the 'foreigners who don't pay their bills'

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

I would seriously like to see a break down of those foreigners who used hospitals and didn't pay ie: expats who reside here and expats on holidays?

And country of origins

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

The non imm oa (longstay visa) is valid for 12 months, if you leave and return Thailand just before the expiry date you get stamped in for another year. During this 2nd year you can do an extension to stay based being over 50 yrs or marriage or ..... You can however also return home and apply for another non imm oa visa. Many people do this as they are not required to show B 800k or B 65k/month inside Thailand. If you however apply outside your home country for a longstay visa it is an non imm o visa (longstay visa). This visa can also be extended based on 50 + or marriage or ... .

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How does Mango Bob do this.

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

This is not for the normal retirement visa right?  

O - A visa.... just the one for a year - that can be extended?  If so, am I correct in thinking that its only people over 50 on the O - A visa that need to get this medical insurance, and not the people on retirement visas with the required money in the bank?

If that is the case, what is all this panic about?

O-A visa also requires 800.000 not in a Thai bank, but in the country which they are applying from.

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

This is not for the normal retirement visa right?  

O - A visa.... just the one for a year - that can be extended?  If so, am I correct in thinking that its only people over 50 on the O - A visa that need to get this medical insurance, and not the people on retirement visas with the required money in the bank?

If that is the case, what is all this panic about?

Because i am 83 yrs old and on an O-A. Who is going to give me cover even though i am as fit as any 60 yr old and fitter than most.  That's why i am panicking i will have to desert my Thai family. 

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Let's not do this again. A "renewal" refers to renewing something you had before i.e. the visa. An Extension is completely different. In fact, the OA visa isn't renewed, you just apply for a new one at an overseas Consulate or Embassy. Mr Natthawut is confused or being incorrectly quoted. Newspapers are not renowned for getting all their facts right.

Stop relying on one misquoted or badly translated individual.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am confused too. I have been using O-A for several years now, i leave the country just before it expires, fly down to KL and back and get stamped in for a further 12 months with 90 day reporting. Then return to Australia on expiration and get another one from the Canberra embassy. Looks like my days in Thailand are over after 12 years because my age eludes me from getting insurance and i will have to desert my little Thai family, how cruel is that Mr Natthawut.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:58 PM, Gecko123 said:

If an O-A visa is a long stay retirement visa issued outside of Thailand and medical insurance is now required for this visa, what possible basis is there for hoping that the medical insurance requirement will not soon be required for all retirement (and possibly all long-stay) type visas? I can't see any cause for hope. Am I missing something?

Well,

O Visa holders doing extensions must keep 400,000 THB in the bank all year round.

O-A visa holders now have to carry 400,000/40,000 THB inpatient/outpatient cover, no money in a Thai Bank.

Am I understanding this right and can we hope that makes sense and stops there?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

If a foreigner already has insurance provided by an agent overseas, the policy must provide the same amount of coverage, Dr Nutthawut said.

If you have insurance from an insurance agent overseas, that policy will be honored as long as it has enough coverage to cover the amount stated in the requirements above.

My mate tells me that he can get unlimited hospital insurance from his Aussie company at 23.600 bht 60-69 yrs per year and 32.736 bht per year unlimited to 75 yrs. I dont know what Thai insurance will cost those age groups.

6 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Also consider the thousands of foreigner who have decided not to buy a condo because they may not be assured a visa to live in it...

6 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Also consider the thousands of foreigner who have decided not to buy a condo because they may not be assured a visa to live in it...

I bet cabinet  did'nt consider that one when they approved it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

If it's a single entry, it already has if he's in the country.

the O-A is a one year multiple entry visa.

29 minutes ago, chipkimberimd said:

Well,

O Visa holders doing extensions must keep 400,000 THB in the bank all year round.

O-A visa holders now have to carry 400,000/40,000 THB inpatient/outpatient cover, no money in a Thai Bank.

Am I understanding this right and can we hope that makes sense and stops there?

what about Non O-A visa EXTENSION holders? Don't they have to have the money in a Thaibank too?