BANGKOK 22 July 2019 02:39
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

2 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

what about Non O-A visa EXTENSION holders? Don't they have to have the money in a Thaibank too?

Extension holders don’t have visas; their extensions are granted on the basis of marriage or retirement, with the appropriate money in the bank - or evidence of income.

5 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

what about Non O-A visa EXTENSION holders? Don't they have to have the money in a Thaibank too?

Yeah, good point.

I guess I was thinking of getting the O-A, stay for 2 years by leaving just before the expiration and then returning to my home country for another O-A and repeating. 

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Extension holders don’t have visas; their extensions are granted on the basis of marriage or retirement, with the appropriate money in the bank - or evidence of income.

which was exactly my point

3 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

which was exactly my point

Surely the point is that this thread is about the insurance requirement, that ONLY applies to Non Immigrant ‘O-A’ Visa holders....

After reading about this on Tuesday morning, and after reading hundreds of posts on two threads I've come to the conclusion that no one is 100% sure if they are affected or not by this Compulsory health insurance.  Many people have different perceptions of what has been written, what has been said, and who it affects.  From day one I found it hard to believe that this new rule would only affect a small minorty of people over the age of 50.  I'm on an extension, but until this new requirement comes into affect in July, I'm not counting my chickens.  Not until I hear news from an official source and not from a forum/newspaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am feeling very sorry for a lot of my mates still in Thailand, it just gets worse and worse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am feeling very sorry for a lot of my mates still in Thailand, it just gets worse and worse. 

Yeah, I live in Thailand and boy do I feel sorry for a lot of your “mates” as well because if they’re from the UK or Australia they’re getting a really horrible Exchange Rate. But as usual the USD is doing great I absolutely love it here .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

39 minutes ago, essexman said:

After reading about this on Tuesday morning, and after reading hundreds of posts on two threads I've come to the conclusion that no one is 100% sure if they are affected or not by this Compulsory health insurance.  Many people have different perceptions of what has been written, what has been said, and who it affects.  From day one I found it hard to believe that this new rule would only affect a small minorty of people over the age of 50.  I'm on an extension, but until this new requirement comes into affect in July, I'm not counting my chickens.  Not until I hear news from an official source and not from a forum/newspaper.

I agree with you.  No matter what the so-called experts say here I believe it includes those on extensions of stay.  They are just playing word games here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Surely the point is that this thread is about the insurance requirement, that ONLY applies to Non Immigrant ‘O-A’ Visa holders....

only? you dont know that. they mentioned renewals and no one knows what that means.

5 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

How does Mango Bob do this.

I do nothing different than others.  I got my O/A at the consulate in NY.  Came here did my extension of stay each year for 13 years.  There is nothing special about what I did.  I transfer more than 65,000 each month got the letter of income form the Embassy and followed the rules.  Now they want me to have health insurance.  Lucky my extension is 27 July so I will do it in late June to miss the insurance this year.  But I have Tricare for Life which is 10 times better than the crap they are offering here but how do you prove to a Thai IO.  No one knows yet and it is only a month away.  I think they need to come up with another date farther out to give people time after they decide what the hell they do.  I really hate this crap, but I am staying.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

only? you dont know that. they mentioned renewals and no one knows what that means.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468 - “Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal". My assumption is that the Thais who aren't involved in immigration directly refer to extensions as renewals - see Siam Legal's page on retirement visas for Australians which is typical - "The visa is renewable every year and can be renewed inside Thailand (applicant must meet the requirements for the visa renewal)." http://australia.siam-legal.com/Thailand-Retirement-Visa-for-Australian-Citizens.php

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468 - “Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal". My assumption is that the Thais who aren't involved in immigration directly refer to extensions as renewals - see Siam Legal's page on retirement visas for Australians which is typical - "The visa is renewable every year and can be renewed inside Thailand (applicant must meet the requirements for the visa renewal)." http://australia.siam-legal.com/Thailand-Retirement-Visa-for-Australian-Citizens.php

Obviously. Without any doubt at all.

The doubt here is whether the information quoted (and considering translations issues) by that guy is actually accurate. But as translated it was DEFINITELY about extensions in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

and an assumption is not the same as knowing for a fact. the requirement might apply for those already on extensions resulting from expired Non O-A visas not JUST holders of O-A visas

Edited by AYJAYDEE

3 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

and an assumption is not the same as knowing for a fact. the requirement might apply for those already on extensions resulting from expired Non O-A visas not JUST holders of O-A visas

Yes, I think the problem is that all those ignorant Thais who talk about "renewals" would benefit for some straight talking by the experts on TV

• Haha 1