BANGKOK
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

15 minutes ago, SNowtiger said:

Is there a difference between O-A and O Visa ? I checked my Passport and I have an old Non Immigrant O Visa inside ( Used ). I got 3 times extention 1 year Retirement stamp.

Do I need a health inssurace ?

Once you begin with annual retirement extensions there is no difference whatsoever whether you started with an O or O-A.

As of now it seems real that people applying for new O-A visas in their home countries will need the health cover starting in July.

Beyond that, such as for annual extensions whether started with O or O-A, there isn't certainty yet. Right now -- no need. Later -- maybe. 

• Like 1

Just another way of milking the Farang...... Get it soon boys because there's shed loads leaving......

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Sorry but who make stuff up? You! You take second hand article (TheNation) as if it was the official announcement; it's not! My previous quote come from the original article who says that foreign insurance "may be considered for approval", it's a conditional expression, nothing sure.

No article published said, "health insurance for foreign companies may be considered for approval."  Quite the opposite they all said foreign insurance would be accepted. You have linked a Thai language article. I believe your first quote said foreign insurance would not be accepted - no maybe about it.

Edited by marcusarelus

Just another way of milking the Farang...... Get it soon boys because there's shed loads leaving......
That's a bit unfair. The OX visa which was the first visa to require insurance is only available to 12 selected nations ("farang" ones). Most countries cannot get this 5/10 year visa. I don't believe OA visas are restricted to "farangs", so much like my own country (UK) it's just a case of governments milking immigrants!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That's a bit unfair. The OX visa which was the first visa to require insurance is only available to 12 selected nations ("farang" ones). Most countries cannot get this 5/10 year visa. I don't believe OA visas are restricted to "farangs", so much like my own country (UK) it's just a case of governments milking immigrants!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm British and i just hope that our government do the same to Thais living in Britain who i know are using the NHS...... and loving it..... This is just another twist of the screw to milk the Farang, which i am one of..... for the time being..... "It's not what it was, nor ever shall be again" Such a shame to see a once great country brought down by a bunch of plastic action men..... who we all know are robbing the place white......

• Like 1

An inflammatory post has been reported and removed.  

On 5/17/2019 at 1:20 PM, GeorgeCross said:

anyways we should know soon enough 

THey could very easily realize how big a headache this is going to be for THEM too, and reverse their decision. 

I wonder what the true vegas odds on this would be, along with the over or under on the timing. I am betting both are going to be WAY off what is currently being stated, I just have no idea which way off they will be. 

It looks like agents will be in the insurance policy fabrication business? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2019 at 12:54 AM, Huckenfell said:

When will your O-A visa expire.

My O-A visa expires in December, however, due to the recent Immigration changes regarding income, I am going to change from my retirement visa to marriage visa, so not sure what will happen at the end of the year.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, inThailand said:

It looks like agents will be in the insurance policy fabrication business? 

No, probably real policies with 400,000 cover and a 399,000 excess😋.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

Can someone tell me how this applies to teachers generally our insurance is with a designated hospital but the amounts of actual insurance are so low in some cases you have to pay it all yourself and then of course. If you don't have the money what happens then.  i reckon the government just figures we are all covered but frankly its rubbish my outpatients cover is 800 baht a day so i had to spend 3000 baht myself on anti biotics ... its frankly a waste of time

A similar scheme was hatched in 2013 and went nowhere. There is nothing on the Royal That Consulate web site in the USA, on the US Consulate web site, or Bangkok Post. If this was serious I'd expect more. I have no doubts this was discussed by the MOPH but that doesn't make it into law. The subject has been discussed extensively here on ThaiVisa and other sites associated with the Nation but I could not find coverage on other outlets. I could be a lot to do about nothing. 

• Like 2

Can someone tell me how this applies to teachers generally our insurance is with a designated hospital but the amounts of actual insurance are so low in some cases you have to pay it all yourself and then of course. If you don't have the money what happens then.  i reckon the government just figures we are all covered but frankly its rubbish my outpatients cover is 800 baht a day so i had to spend 3000 baht myself on anti biotics ... its frankly a waste of time
It doesn't apply to teachers. It only applies to people applying for the one year OA visa or 5/10 year OX visa for which you have to be over 50 and which does not allow you to work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It doesn't apply to teachers. It only applies to people applying for the one year OA visa or 5/10 year OX visa for which you have to be over 50 and which does not allow you to work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

the article said it applied to "renewals" as well

• Like 1