BANGKOK 25 May 2019 22:00
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If the insurance requirement is confirmed for O-A visas it will only affect you when you apply for your next one. As you know, you can get 2 years out of the visa you got in January. Who knows what the situation will be in 2021! If you're living in Thailand permanently, the O-A visa is not really the best option especially if it is going to require insurance; you've got lots of time to check out alternatives.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

yes i definately do. And i have no intention of leaving if i can find the way to stay.

• Like 2

"The requirement was introduced because foreign expats have piled up unpaid medical bills of more than Bt300 million since 2016."

Expats on holiday, or expats on long term extensions? And lets see an accurate age grouping and country of origin(s) of the expats that that did runners.

This will never happen, as it's so much easier to just make a blanket statement & penalize those of us that spend quite a bit of cash here monthly/annually.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:09 PM, Huckenfell said:

This has been on my mind ever since i first read about it. Having lived in Thailand for the past 12 years and during that time , made 3 hospital visits, i just cannot imagine how anybody can leave a hospital without paying the bill. I think that it is impossible !  However having deeply thought about it,  the fact that corruption in Thailand is rife just about everywhere i am asking the question. Perhaps those bills were all paid but pocketed and recorded as "Unpaid"   In this light i suggest that all these so called unpaid bills are seriously investigated one by one with some authority. It is not at all difficult to find the reported non payer as we all have to do 90 day reporting.  Just a thought.

Actually it's easy, just walk out the door while waiting to pay the bill. Of course, they have your personal info but it may be difficult to follow up. In truth, 300M baht is a drop in the bucket, $10m. They loose that much in highway tolls every time it rains.

But anyway, yeah, blame the Thai. lol

On 5/23/2019 at 3:35 PM, Huckenfell said:

12 month visa for retirees over 50 with unlimited entries and if one leaves just before it expires and returns one will get stamped in for a further 12 months. This visa can only be got in the country of passport origin. Funds of 800.000 must be proven. I think that this is all correct,i have been using it for some year now. I usually pop down to KL for the weekend. As has been said "Up to you"

OK Thanks for that.

In terms of the numbers it seems too low to me per visit. 680,000 visits (not patients) divided by the THB305,000,000 = THB 311 per visit.  Assuming the cost of the clinical staff, the cost of pathology and imaging, pharmacy, blood and other consumables for a spectrum of cardiac, stroke and accident catastrophies along with lesser medical conditions it is a low not high figure.  After all some private hospitals charge THB40k per night in intensive care.  The cost in a government hospital is probably half per night.