Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, madmitch said:

By publishing these figures the Public Health Ministry have made themselve look stupid. If they can't get the basics right then how can anyone believe any of the figures.

Rumour has it the person responsible is favourite for the statistician post at the TAT!

They need an upgrade to help with the calculations.

abacus computer.jpg

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rabas said:

Can you find any Embassy that still offers a Non-O visa for retirement? I've tried and can only find Non-OA for retirement. //

Thai Embassy in France states several possibilities to get a Non-O, and the fourth point is "4. Being over 50 and not working", so ok for Retirement. :cool:

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Non-immigrant (O-A) visa holders: 38 million 

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

In a country with a population 69 million people, 38 million of them are holders of a Non-immigrant (O-A) visa.

I think someone slapped a bunch of numbers together with the purpose of demonizing long-stay expats.

The Nation articles that have been printed over the last days keep flip-flopping between saying the new rules are aimed at O-A visa holders and the rules are aimed at all long-stay expats. Personally I find this a witch hunt with the end purpose of forcing expats into the waiting arms of Thai insurance companies who will fleece them by providing worthless policies for predatory prices just so the expat can qualify for a visa, and soon imho, a visa extension.  I call 'buffalo poo' on the assertion that Thai authorities are unable to collect medical bills from expats - the same expats who have to report their address every 90 days? Bunk.  

53 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

All vehicles have compulsory 3rd party person insurance, PorLor Bor insurance paid when you get the annual sticker. This insurance pays out no matter what even if driver has no license, drunk etc. Your home country would have a similar compulsory coverage, in Australia for example its called CTP insurance.

I get your point though, a big accident above what the insurance pays probably does account for some of the unpaid.

Only if they are registered.  I see lots of them that are not.

Everyone here (IMO) are incorrectly assuming that the high figures for non payment of medical bills for O-A visa holders are Faragngs from the West, IMO it is more likely to be Asians and especially perhaps Chinese.

I don't think there are too many western Farangs living here use O-X Visa types, we have no idea of the preferred choice for Asian countries but it could well be O-A type Visa's 

I suggested months ago that a simple 500baht entry fee (already suggested earlier) for all visitors entering Thailand would more than cover any costs shown in the OP but then that would have to include those entering from local neighbours like Cambodia and Myanmar but  -

That would mean private hospitals and owners having to apply to Government for non paid bills perhaps at cost with profits excluded - they wouldn't like that.

Those here on 12 month extensions are now having to keep 400k 12 month balance in their accounts - this is a bond and it is IMO exactly for the purpose of such things as paying for medical bills - what puzzles me is that those on income type extensions don't have to have this balance - maybe they consider 65k a month enough to cover - the clue could be the Insurance requirements in the OP - Bt400,000 cover and Bt40,000 OP cover - anyone on a 12 month extension already should have that covered either way

Just now, connda said:
11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

2018  Non-immigrant (O-A) visa holders: 38 million 

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Explained many times already. 38 million is the total number of people entering in Thailand last year. Someone took the figures on the wrong line :wink:

Given the clearly obvious   statistical errors already pointed out by others and even then the failure by the authorities to interpret them in any meaningful way,coupled with Non immigrant O-A requirement when there is no reason it shouldn’t apply to Non immigrant O as well indicates that whoever is making decisions is clearly out of their  depth and hasn’t even been able to think through either the consequences or the implementation. It’s all based on a lazy idle thought and a another knee jerk reaction. During my time in Thailand and based on my experiences I am being forced to give creedence to those who claim there is is a link between race and intelligence.

ps, i've typed it before but i'm riled up.

dear leader,

simplify the entire visa system and scrap the 800k bank deposit requirement and the monthly income requirements. charge a nominal additional amt on ALL classes of initial visa and extensions if you must for health coverage. keep the background checks and health screening checks if you must and consider that a significant percentage of your supposed uninsured 'foreigner' health costs are illegals from neighboring countries.

think the numbers will increase? think the INCOME will increase too? yes?  govt can and should still work to keep the criminals out and get rid of those who are convicted of crimes.

the vast majority like visiting and retiring to thailand so why not make it easier, cheaper, and promote it to the world and watch the money come into the country!

11 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

The requirement was introduced because foreign expats have piled up unpaid medical bills of more than Bt300 million since 2016. 

How many of them were direct neighbors, or generally from SEA?

Watching locals subtracting 10 baht from 100 baht by using a calculator makes me think. How accurate is this statistic then? 

This is so so funny. The under 50s still can get away with not paying!

Love the Thai government stupidity.

2 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Why is everyone making a big issue of this?   They want us to have insurance doesn't matter what they say here, and what cost they make up. you have to have it.  Why not talk about the type of policies available.

Why ? Because if you look at their statistics they are looking at the wrong group of people. It’s not long stayers that are doing a runner on their hospital bills, it’s tourists. There are not over 30 million people on O-A visas, that must be total number of tourists. Do you always want to pay for everybody else ?

17 minutes ago, rwill said:

Only if they are registered.  I see lots of them that are not.

Por lor bor insurace remains valid and pays out even if the sticker is out of date etc. Leave a vehicle unregistered for 5 years, you will have a 5 year por lor bor bill waiting when you register it again.

Not paying registration eventually catches up with the owner as they cant sell the vehicle or register another until their outstanding por lor bor is paid.

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

If 300 old guys or gals over 50 had a massive heart attack and racked up a bill of 1 million, then that is 300 million. It could even be old timers on holiday here on VOA? But to give absurd numbers like that and make all over 50 long term stayers is a pure attack on the foreign people.

They could easily attach an additional fee of say 10,000 baht to the visa fee for the visa or extension and if easy numbers like this just say 100,000 O-A retirees here:  100,000 x 10,000 = 1000,000,000 baht for coverage to all the expats. Way and far above their little petty 300,000,000 baht. I would be more than happy to pay 10k every year to be semi covered..

It is apparent they are just part of the grab and gouging the foreigners over 50 on retirement visas and someone sees some deep pockets being filled. It would even be great if some kind Thai or foreigner with a Thai started a company like this that covers the foreigners. There would be many limitations as to not have it abused, but if direly needed it would pay.

very sensible and same as charging all visitors a nominal fee but it doesn't address the real issue 

Who is primarily behind these insurance companies and hospitals and is set to make a pile of money !!!!!!

When I see changes in Thailand especially when it involves foreigners there is only one common purpose - Money, someone with influence will be making a load of it

Money Number 1

11 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I struggle to understand all the figures given in this article ??

Mainly:

Surely that is fully incorrect. I would bet tens or hundreds thousands at max, no?

OP says 38 million medical visits, not 38 million persons. 

Must be quite sick, these oldies, if they need medical help that often. Guess some further investigation about the health status of these retirees would be helpful. 

My original visa was Non-I have and do extend for one year on retirement (800K in bank method). So presumably I am classified as a 'long stay'/extension and the new rule will apply. Is this correct?

12 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Are there really 38 million foreigners living in Thailand?

See, the thing is, when you make up BS numbers like this. Nothing else you say is believable.

It has just been reported that the person that quoted these figures had got Dianne Abbott to do the math when he was on a visit to the UK

8 minutes ago, micmichd said:

OP says 38 million medical visits, not 38 million persons. 

Must be quite sick, these oldies, if they need medical help that often. Guess some further investigation about the health status of these retirees would be helpful. 

468413069_ScreenShot2019-05-15at22_33_26.png.36c1ba962901b3ea977d2e92c4c12f87.png

Thai government is so stupid. If I was forced to buy insurance I don't need. Guess what? I'm going to get every little bit of medical attention I don't need, just to get my money back that I paid. Plenty of thai doctors will give you medicines not questions asked. These can then be resold for cash.

If enough people do this, then Insurance companies have to raise their premiums to cover all these unnecessary visits. 

Together we all can rort the system and destroy this stupid idea.

Bring it on!

Just to clarify, are they just talking of people on retirement visas/extensions, or all type o non imm  visas or extensions. It's what the headline says, but unless I missed it the article in the nation doesn't say.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

So if all the figures are from goverment hospitals, it's even more unbelievable....

"Earlier this year, Health Service Support Department director-general Dr Nattawuth Prasertsiripong said his department had decided to establish claim centres in Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Phang Nga and Surat Thani provinces to help state hospitals collect what is owed to them by foreign patients. The very fact that such centres are required reflects the severity of the problem. "

Visa applicants, visa renewal applicants, all done through MFA, but extension of stay is done through immigration in Thailand. Changing immigration rules requires a police order. Immigration does not provide visas or renewal of visas. AFAIK

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Should be an interesting meeting,

immigration can finally explain to the ministry of Health that they do not issue, renew or extend visa's, embassies issue them and nobody extends or renews visa's. Immigration can also explain that they issue "permission to stay" and "extension of stay" stamps. And that extension of stay stamps are not extensions or renewals of Visa's.

I imagine immigration may have to say it several times and very slowly.

How many meetings and committees would it take to establish that the vast majority of these unpaid bills are from tourists, not long stayers whether they have O, O-A, or whatever.

Perhaps immigration would be able to tell them that’s thanks to 90 day reporting they know where we live, and that they even have maps to our homes. If the hospitals asked for the info they could go and chase up any unpaid bills from us long stayers.

1 minute ago, Mosha said:

Just to clarify, are they just talking of people on retirement visas/extensions, or all type o non imm  visas or extensions. It's what the headline says, but unless I missed it the article in the nation doesn't say.

O-A only

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Non-immigrant (O-A) visa holders: 32 million 

Number of medical visits by them: 2.6 million

Number of unpaid medical bills: 667,000

Number of long-stay expats seeking medical services: 71,288

Outstanding debt: Bt380 million

Non-immigrant (O-A) visa holders: 35 million 

Number medical visits by them: 3.3 million

Number of unpaid medical bills: 565,000

Number of long-stay expats seeking medical services: 68,696

Outstanding debt: Bt346 million

Non-immigrant (O-A) visa holders: 38 million 

Number of medical visits by them: 3.42 million

Number of unpaid medical bills: 680,000

Number of long-stay expats seeking medical services: 80,950

Outstanding debt: Bt305 million

What is the source of these figures.  They are not in the original article.

6 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

My original visa was Non-I have and do extend for one year on retirement (800K in bank method). So presumably I am classified as a 'long stay'/extension and the new rule will apply. Is this correct?

No

Archived