BANGKOK 21 July 2019 17:55
snoop1130

Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Don't be silly, they can't be upsetting those cash cows, sorry, tourists. Let's blame all the ex pats in Thailand for the millions of baht that it costs to treat tourists who've got involved in accidents/fights/drunken stupidity, been taken to hospital, then failed to pay.

All this non payment business is news to me, I don't see how its possible.  In 2011 I was involved in a serious accident, I was unconscious, losing a lot of blood and apparently was minutes away from 'shuffling off this mortal coil' - I needed blood fast. When I regained consciousness I learned that my ex M.I.L had to produce her credit card at St Louis Hospital, Sathorn before they would give me a transfusion! My ex wife was then sent out with my ATM card to obtain further funds which they wanted as a deposit before admitting me. I'd even been taken to hospital in the back of a passer by's pick up truck as the ambulance that turned up wanted details of my insurance company before they'd take me - quite how an unconscious man was supposed to produce his insurance, I know not.

2016, Bankgok Hospital, Korat wanted 20,000 baht deposit and proof of my ability to pay the balance before they would admit my ex Mrs for an 'emergency' operation.

How do people fail to pay?

Don't get me started on St Louis. I have zero kind words!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Possibly because they want to know why they need insurance AND 400,000 in the bank.

For O-A visa there is no requirement to hold Thai baht in a Thai bank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I struggle to understand all the figures given in this article ??

Mainly:

Surely that is fully incorrect. I would bet tens or hundreds thousands at max, no?

WE know they cant count let alone do mental arithmetic, every time you buy something they bring out a calculator. Bringing the new system in July will give them half a years practice to get the same storyt at immigration LOL; so they will turn high season into low season; fantastic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have Tricare for Life, I mention this a few times now.  Seems like only a few retired American military here.  But I pay 25% of the bill both inpatient and outpatient up to a max of $3,000 which is around 95,000 baht.  After I met that max I pay nothing for the remainder of the year.  I had this happen around 6 times in the last 13 years.  Also, a few of the big international hospitals here will fill your claim and only charge you the 25% and Tricare pays them the amount due.  If I need insurance here it would add close to the amount of my deductible.  Before 1 July I need to know if these people at immigration will accept this.  They should extend the start to January next year and not push us to get it done in a month and a half.  

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We will ask the Immigration Bureau, the Foreign Ministry and the Insurance Department for additional details and implementation guidelines next week,”

Should be an interesting meeting,

immigration can finally explain to the ministry of Health that they do not issue, renew or extend visa's, embassies issue them and nobody extends or renews visa's. Immigration can also explain that they issue "permission to stay" and "extension of stay" stamps. And that extension of stay stamps are not extensions or renewals of Visa's.

I imagine immigration may have to say it several times and very slowly.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

For O-A visa there is no requirement to hold Thai baht in a Thai bank.

No requirement for money in a Thai bank account ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1