Baht is rising fast

3 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

WHAT!!! Who paid 100 baht for a beer in a go go bar? I believe go go bars are mostly just in Bangkok. I pay less than 100 baht for my favorite kinds of imported beer here in Korat. 120 baht max depending on the restaurant if it’s Corona, Guinness, and a few other kinds. 80 baht for a Beer Lao if I remember right. Although there is one fancier place that I remember was charging 200 baht just for a Corona I don’t know if that’s still the same because we haven’t been back there for a while. Right now I’m down with the flu or influenza so I don’t even want to think about anything else except water.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well, maybe he can move to Korat and join you watching cows while paying less than 100 for a beer????????

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, theboogeyman said:

It’s actually staying about the same and it declines a little bit once in a while honestly no the baht isn’t rising fast in fact it’s not really going anywhere. It’s risen a little bit over the last 10 years I guess you could say that lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

look at the last 20 years of USD/THB and then repeat "a little bit".

usd thb.jpg

There is an article in bkk post I believe that US is revising its list of currency manipulation countries and Thailand will be on it.

As it turns out Thailand manipulating baht to keep it low, so do not be surprised if your currency halves in value in the nearest future .

2 hours ago, theboogeyman said:
2 hours ago, Captain 776 said:
31.58 right now against USD.........EXPLAIN how that relates to rising fast

Well that’s actually the point it’s not actually rising fast. The baht ranks 20th in all of Asia lol.

show me any currency including non-asian ones which appreciated vs. USD, GBP and EUR like THB. rank 20th = my butt! :coffee1:

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

There is an article in bkk post I believe that US is revising its list of currency manipulation countries and Thailand will be on it.

As it turns out Thailand manipulating baht to keep it low, so do not be surprised if your currency halves in value in the nearest future .

Is that a genuine statement , or a joke/lie/sarcasm/humour or something other that the truth ?

29 minutes ago, Naam said:

your insight seems to indicate that you belong to this elite. or are you just rehashing barstool fairytales heard from envious poor Farangs?

OK can you please tell me why the central bank isn't trying to cool down the exchange rate because Thailand now exports so many cars ( gonna stick with that one for now) and the price increasing. I know one of the major reasons for the high baht is no national debt, only personal debt in Thailand. Thailand is a big exporter now and doesn't seem to want to reduce the value of the baht so it's damaging any company with an export business and i haven't seen any explanations why, I admit I'm just a retired engineer who can't read Thai but from my perspective it seems like it's government policy to keep the value high.

what none of you have mentioned is about how much the elite make from a strong baht sending money abroad, car companies etc are complaining but have you seen the central bank trying to control the rate? 
it's deliberate, imagine how much money the rich elite are making transferring abroad for the future?
If central bank tries to control the rate by making it weak for export advantage, other countries can impose tariff.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, yodsak said:

1260420824_ScreenShot2019-05-16at18_54_57.png.652923faeea31ec58d7a1138cd800a7b.png1020128466_ScreenShot2019-05-16at18_58_13.png.eadd0229379f4fde8709f3288742bd78.png

Use a Dollar Index chart, not a USD/THB (or it's cross) chart next time.

A rising dollar - even the "mighty" CHF has lost 20% from .86 to 1.01 in 8 years.  JPY down 40% from 77 to 110.

Compare that to the currency of a $450 billion economy in the 3rd world, that has barely budged against the USD. 

Dollar Index.PNG

1 hour ago, BestB said:

And?

I think the US needs to understand that they are yesterdays news.

Or maybe the day before's.

18 hours ago, rickb said:

Yes, a stronger baht will result in you getting more Euros or Pounds when you convert Thai Baht, but really not that much of a difference unless you're converting a large amount.

It sure makes a difference if you have a regular THB income and exchange it to EUR.

12 hours ago, david555 said:

in 2009 I paid 13800 baht for a 1 baht gold chain , today price for 1 baht gold is 19400 baht, show me your wife is  not right ,... explain me ? 

I think more you try to deceive her , so you don't have to buy more for her ….:cheesy:

Try selling that gold chain.  Do you think you can even get 13,800 bt today?  Doubtful.

22 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Yeah, Trump ain't helping.  The dollar would have gotten a boost if the Feds had raised interest rates.  But because Trump was squawking about lowering rates, the Feds sat on their hands and did nothing.  Freakin Trump.

Trump appointed the Head of the Fed. Get it?

I’m convinced it’s a conspiracy generated by our own countries to deter people taking their money to Thailand for retirement/cheaper living. Your governments want that money back.

16 hours ago, jesimps said:

It has nothing to do with how hard Brits work and everything to do with Westminster arsing about with Brexit. If we'd got on with it straight away it would've been sorted by now. The money markets hate indecision.

Some people think the Ruskies interfered in that vote too. What do you think? They want disarray.

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Try selling that gold chain.  Do you think you can even get 13,800 bt today?  Doubtful.

Thai 96% baht gold ...YES... this is not like the "western gold jewel shops scam "where you by at 12.15 time and by 12.30 they should give you price for old gold , meaning 50/60% only , professional thieves jewelers.

That is the advantage from Thai gold shop system , but don't come with 18 karat gold , because they shall not value it 

At the moment typing 1 baht gold stands 19350 baht" thaigold.info" , they have android app for smartphone on google play site , real time price Thai gold  buy and sell

1 remark , don't take gold for short time profit , unless you have a Chrystal ball , see it as a insurance reserve , but generally in decades it always went up 

On paper can be printed whatever a Gov. want …., gold cant be printed extra like gov. just print as much money  they need to" fix "their situation….why you think generally governments stepped of from gold standard ….. just to control the money from us /you /them...

the Kuwaiti Dinar lost ~20% vs. Thai Baht during the last three years.
:coffee1:

1283161358_kwdthb.jpg.9b644c81dea26619a902bc8cfa2af97e.jpg

In case you haven’t noticed the local media outlets in Thailand are not the most reliable lately. And currently Thailand is on the United States Treasury Department’s bad boy list for currency manipulation. Regardless the Exchange Rate tells you all you need to know the baht is still weak against the USD and the Eros. I guess you can say that the baht has gained a little bit of strength over the last ten years lol, that’s hardly “rising fast” lol.

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

Some people think the Ruskies interfered in that vote too. What do you think? They want disarray.

It should make brexiteers think, both the Russians and the Americans want brexit to happen. They want to weaken Europe, there is an underlying strength in Europe that they find dangerous to their own economies.

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It should make brexiteers think, both the Russians and the Americans want brexit to happen. They want to weaken Europe, there is an underlying strength in Europe that they find dangerous to their own economies.

Do you actually know that Russia and the USA are thinking , or did you just make that up to try to get Brexiteers to change their minds ?

The baht has been weak for years but currently in Thailand they have very hotly contested election results right now and the current Prime Minister is desperately trying to hold on to power so there’s naturally been a lot of fake news stories generated from within Thailand to bolster pro government propaganda and trying to convince everyone how wonderful the economy is and even going so far as to attempt to manipulate their currency. The current USD Exchange Rate says it all just the fact that the dollar has been slowly creeping back up. If it wasn’t for the currency manipulation the USD to Thai baht would probably be at about 33 baht to the dollar right now at least but it’s still just below 32 but climbing. Strange how the Exchange Rate has been bouncing a little bit up and down since the election especially when the dollar has been picking up a lot of steam.

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Falling fast towards 40 baht = 1GBP.

Can anyone offer some light at the end of the tunnel?...

Yes what could/can go wrong. From my reading the Baht is seen/supported as a safe haven by investors. The $206 billion in foreign reserves is one major reason evidently. So maybe the fundamentals are not that good now: reports that exports and GDP are down. But it's the foreign investors now keeping the baht stable So given that, what likely can go wrong ?

Not to mention that the current Thai government is in crisis but their local news media still continues with the whole everything is fine act when at the same time they’re on the brink of another potential military COUP. The current government’s only real power they have left is being able to control the media and to manipulate the appearance of economic growth. But most Thai people I know are smart enough to see through all the BS.

like your verified fairy tale of the Kuwaiti Dinar strength. cheesy.gif&key=e9a0f3a6e2cc6b286f25ec5e8753f398e8b6b48edce0e8cbffd69ff4502883e5

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/which-are-the-strongest-currencies-of-asia.html

Okay well I didn’t want to embarrass you but you just kept on pushing it so here it is as of March 2019, kind of hard to argue with verified facts when it’s right in front of you now huh. And no this is NOT from the Bangkok Post this is an actual real reliable source from the World Atlas. This data is current. Try other sources of information besides what the local government tells you. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I am sorry that Thailand is in such political turmoil right now though, it’s a shame. But anyway I told you so.

I told you Thailand ranks 20th in Asian currency this year just click on the link and scroll down. Even Turkmenistan’s currency ranks higher than Thailand ouch lol [emoji23]. The baht is “rising fast” according to the Bangkok Post LMAO [emoji23].

This is less than two months ago:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/which-are-the-strongest-currencies-of-asia.html

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

Do you actually know that Russia and the USA are thinking , or did you just make that up to try to get Brexiteers to change their minds ?

size has an intrinsic value on its own,

europe get a negotiation advantage just by being the biggest trading guy in town

like your verified fairy tale of the Kuwaiti Dinar strength. cheesy.gif&key=e9a0f3a6e2cc6b286f25ec5e8753f398e8b6b48edce0e8cbffd69ff4502883e5

Naam I’m still waiting to hear your rebuttal to the facts I posted above lol [emoji23]. I told you, never argue with someone without knowing the facts next time. He was all talk earlier and now he suddenly got real quiet after I showed supporting facts above.

Archived