A Question About Topics Becoming Social

davethailand

A question aimed at admin.

Obviously many topics/threads get shutdown for being either too abusive, off topic or just plain wastes of space, i understand this and except it.

There was a topic about meeting in my bar and it's been shut down for being off topic and old news, fair enough but as well as some other topics the conversation was becoming more friendly,sociable and it was nice to communicate with other members in a more friendly way rather than the normal banter that seems to go on here.

I know there is a live chat facility on the forum but not everybody bothers to use it,

So how can we communicate more sociably?

:o

that might work, could it be tried George? (as i'm in the super member gang now) :o

As stupid as it might look for most of us, I think people are interested in what Thailand residents do in Thailand.

Hence Dave thread.

Interesting or not is not the point, closing it does not bring ANYTHING to the forum.

IMHO

I think the chatroom is the still the best facility for social banter.

The chat doesnt seem to attract a lot of Members due to the nature of use, if I can make a suggestion to improve it.

1) Open up a couple of more rooms, some people may not want to chat with "The Old Farts" some members may have specific topics or people they want to talk to. You could name these rooms, "Old Farts", "General Banter" and "Bar Meetings" spring to mind, or whatever.

2) A Bulletin board where members can post proposed meeting dates. If they just used a normal thread for this it could get buried by more recent posts.

I think the chat is a totally different animal that attracts different people. Chat is far more volatile.. a statement lasts about 30 seconds before it's off screen never to be seen again. And it's only seen by the people in the chat, not the whole readership of the board. It's also very intensive: you can't do any other things when you're in the chat, as opposed to reading a topic, putting in your 2 cents and checking perhaps the next day or the next week what others said. Chat of course could also be very fun with the right group of people, but it's not for everybody. I tried it myself once.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I think the chatroom is the still the best facility for social banter.

The chat doesnt seem to attract a lot of Members due to the nature of use, if I can make a suggestion to improve it.

1) Open up a couple of more rooms, some people may not want to chat with "The Old Farts" some members may have specific topics or people they want to talk to. You could name these rooms, "Old Farts", "General Banter" and "Bar Meetings" spring to mind, or whatever.

2) A Bulletin board where members can post proposed meeting dates. If they just used a normal thread for this it could get buried by more recent posts.

Good idea Bronco!

What room names do we want for the new chat rooms? I could create several of them. Pls advise.

We could try the following: Have ONE topic for socializing & chatting and just let that one run up to zillions of posts? 'Hard information' topics can then be kept on topic?

Good idea, Chanchao! Please feel free to open a new chat thread in the "Farang Pub" that can be used for chat purposes. Please, *one* ongoing thread only.

We could try it out! Mai mee bpan haa!

"Old Farts Chat Show, all welcome", it seems to be part of the name already, downside, it could give the idea only for old people like Jaye :o

"Chatting in Thai", brush up your skills, another.

"Pub Frolics", members can discuss previous events, organise future outings, that sort of thing.

Maybe one or two of the "Old Farts" have ideas, or anyone for that matter.

"Old Farts, come one come all", it seems to be part of the name already, could give the idea only for old people like Jaye :D

"Chatting in Thai", brush up your skills, could be another.

"Pub Frolics", members can discuss previous events, organise future outings, that sort of thing.

Maybe one or two of the "Old Farts" have ideas, or anyone for that matter.

Erco could be let back online and he could host a ' Ladies of the Night ' thread. He has always viewed ladies as aforesaid with a lot of kindness and consideration. :o

I see there are now three rooms on the chat:

"Main room"

"Beer Chang Loom"

"admins room"

I've rarely seen many admin in the chat so I would expect "admin room" to be rather lonely. Still, it's a place where mandl could hide :o

• 2 weeks later...