Thai anti-junta leader says 'no giving up' on forming next government

webfact

Thai anti-junta leader says 'no giving up' on forming next government

By Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Kay Johnson

2019-05-15T190917Z_1_LYNXNPEF4E1LW_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ELECTION.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha casts his ballot to vote in the general election at a polling station in Bangkok, Thailand, March 24, 2019. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/Files

BANGKOK (Reuters) - An alliance of Thai anti-junta parties is not giving up on forming the country's next government and blocking the ruling junta from retaining power following a disputed March election, a leader of a key member party said on Wednesday.

Thailand's March 24 election pitted the pro-army Palang Pracharat party, which seeks to keep junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha in power, against the Democratic Front of seven parties that wants the military out of politics.

Results published last week showed Palang Pracharat winning 115 seats in the 500-member lower House of Representatives. Along with Senate votes and allies, this could be enough to form the government.

The opposition alliance won 245 lower house seats.

But after what he called "a definitely not free and not fair election," Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of the anti-junta Future Forward Party said all hope was not lost.

"For anti-junta parties, the effort to form the new government is still there. There is no giving up, no white flag at the moment," Thanathorn said during an event at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand.

"Anything is still on the table and anything is still possible."

His comments came a day after Thailand published an official list of 250 senators, who were entirely appointed by the junta and will vote with the House of Representatives to choose the next prime minister.

The list showed more than a third have military or police backgrounds and nearly half have existing ties with the junta, which seized power in a 2014 coup.

Electoral rules make it nearly impossible for the opposition to overcome the Senate's vote to form its own government under a post-coup constitution ratified in 2017, which was criticized as entrenching military influence in Thai politics.

If all 250 senators vote the same way, Prayuth's party, whose allies already hold 19 seats, will have just over the 376 required in the combined House-Senate vote to approve him as prime minister.

But Thanathorn said he was "very hopeful" about the anti-junta coalition forming the government and that the Senate could be swayed if the Democratic Front can form a strong majority.

"If we could form a strong, solid government in the lower house, the senators won't vote against it. The pressure is on them if they vote against the voice of the people, and I don't think they have the courage to do that," Thanathorn told Reuters.

But even if the anti-junta alliance failed, the future of democracy in Thailand still looked "very positive," Thanathorn said.

"We lose this election but we're not losing the game," he said.

"This is a long journey. It's not about this election. It's going to take decades... It's going to be a long road."

(Wrting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat; Editing by Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-16

Everyone on the TVF election threads that predicted the common Thai would take this meekly would seem to be right.  I mean if the opposition leaders can't be bothered to show any sort of fire or even inspirational rhetoric...

3 hours ago, webfact said:

But Thanathorn said he was "very hopeful" about the anti-junta coalition forming the government and that the Senate could be swayed if the Democratic Front can form a strong majority.

Hope they are successful.  If so, wonder if general cha cha will allow it.  

56 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Hope they are successful.  If so, wonder if general cha cha will allow it.  

I am with your wholeheartedly in sharing hope. If they do successfully form a govt though....I may have to eat a hat. The hope I have is just naivety....a doe eyed stare into oblivion..... If....if it happens and STAYS my faith in humanity would be slightly restored. Thailand has such potential to stay Thai but take the good parts from the West etc and move forward.....My fingers are crossed (behind my back) 

Just now, 248900_1469958220 said:

I am with your wholeheartedly in sharing hope. If they do successfully form a govt though....I may have to eat a hat. The hope I have is just naivety....a doe eyed stare into oblivion..... If....if it happens and STAYS my faith in humanity would be slightly restored. Thailand has such potential to stay Thai but take the good parts from the West etc and move forward.....My fingers are crossed (behind my back) 

As long as it's a pork pie hat, no problem.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

But after what he called "a definitely not free and not fair election," Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of the anti-junta Future Forward Party said all hope was not lost.

Sorry mate, but yes it is. And you and the others went along with it by running in the rigged election, which had you have won, would have given you no power at all.

Hope IS lost.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"This is a long journey. It's not about this election. It's going to take decades... It's going to be a long road."

May I suggest it will take generations and then, only IF they begin to educate the population, I won't be holding my breathe waiting for that to happen!

He won 87 seats out of 500 and allocated himself another 23 on top of that plus the 250 automatic senators. And another 19 who were sort of elected have been gently persuaded to join his team. 

A clear victory and a mandate from the people. 

Near enough is good enough.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"We lose this election but we're not losing the game,"

Totally with you. Don't make it easy for the military to ride roughshod over the people. A thousand mile journey begins with one step and your steadfast attitude is admirable. 

6 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

I have always said that this could be a wonderful country-so much to do, but if a government would ask for help from developed countries that have already found solutions to all of Thailand’s problems, what a splendid paradise it would be.  Unfortunately, I don’t believe I will see it in my lifetime 

6 minutes ago, Redline said:

I have always said that this could be a wonderful country-so much to do, but if a government would ask for help from developed countries that have already found solutions to all of Thailand’s problems, what a splendid paradise it would be.  Unfortunately, I don’t see it in my lifetime 

Help from developed countries like the UK?

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/highworth-council-election-count-petition-high-court-local-elections/?fbclid=IwAR21lNQ41Rxxa5XJXsBjgcLYgi2Yo1aVMWC9sfj47jjG_MtGI0fZDLsmiXc

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The list showed more than a third have military or police backgrounds and nearly half have existing ties with the junta, which seized power in a 2014 coup.

And yet the junta will claim their victory was entirely fair. Between this, perhaps the most egregious, there have been so many underhanded efforts to grab power by the current leadership it has become a cruel joke. The only good thing about it is there will not be the need for any violence for them to continue on their quest to steal the country from the people they rule.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

If all 250 senators vote the same way, Prayuth's party, whose allies already hold 19 seats, will have just over the 376 required in the combined House-Senate vote to approve him as prime minister.

Yes, however his party will likely not have a majority in the lower house, so I fail to see how such a government could ever be productive, the elections did not go Prayuth's way despite massive cheating, and now they have him by the balls. 

For anyone who thinks it’s over, it’s far from over. 2 major swinging parties have not yet announced its alliance . A wild card keep going around stating he would be next PM and no it’s not uncle Prayut . 

Wait till the end of the month for more to unveil 

12 minutes ago, BestB said:

For anyone who thinks it’s over, it’s far from over. 2 major swinging parties have not yet announced its alliance . A wild card keep going around stating he would be next PM and no it’s not uncle Prayut . 

But will they show principles and guts and the desire to change Thailand?  Or are they haggling to benefit themselves?

If they are doing this will Thanathorn do the correct thing and reject their 'help' and explain why?

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Everywhere has issues, but Thailand has a very wide range-too many to list, but if you guess, you will probably be right 

41 minutes ago, BestB said:

Yes, and apparently PTP already willing to offer one of those two wildcards (the anti junta coalition only needs 6 additional seats) the PM post. 

I think both will bite if offered the right package. One already stated he wouldn't support Prayuth, so in order to satisfy the few million that voted for the party, the only right thing to do ????

Archived