PM warned not to interfere in Philip Morris court case

webfact

PM warned not to interfere in Philip Morris court case

31.jpg

Pheu Thai party core member Chalerm Yubamrung has warned Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to stay clear of the ongoing court case between the Thai public prosecutor and Philip Morris, a giant US-based cigarette manufacturer, or he might end up in prison.

The maverick veteran politician claimed that, on May 10th, Foreign Minister Don Pramudvinai sent a letter to the Prime Minister urging him to exercise his executive power to end the court case in which the prosecutor has demanded 68 billion baht from the cigarette producer for alleged tax evasion.

Chalerm said that Foreign Minister Don did not have any understanding of legal matters and his move could place the Prime Minister in jeopardy, adding that the Prime Minister could be accused of interfering with judicial affairs.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-warned-not-to-interfere-in-philip-morris-court-case/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-16

1 hour ago, webfact said:

warned Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to stay clear of the ongoing court case between the Thai public prosecutor and Philip Morris,

what kind of a place is this , a prime minister interfering in a judicial process ? and a political figure warning in public against it ? primitive

Whatch cha cha back down.  The last thing he wants is being attacked at home and abroad.  He will not interfere if threatened.   

Even if he does retain his position, Thailand will run out of patience soon.  Nice to see him told off. 

19 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Even if he does retain his position, Thailand will run out of patience soon.  Nice to see him told off. 

He will retain his position. The 87 seats out of 500 he won was enough to get him over the line. 

Close enough.

Chalerm warned, Chalerm stated, Chalerm said...

and then Chalerm claimed he could have solved that problem within seven days.

I really missed the old bugger, glad you're back - political entertainment isn't the same without you!

1 - PM should never interfere with a court case, just the fact that someone consider a warning to be needed shows that its useless.

2 - PM owns the system so prison is not a threat

I feel like statements like this one are just harmless PR stunts. 

Or am I missing something here ? Does PM have any reason to follow the warning ?

19 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Chalerm warned, Chalerm stated, Chalerm said...

and then Chalerm claimed he could have solved that problem within seven days.

I really missed the old bugger, glad you're back - political entertainment isn't the same without you!

Wasn't the seven day thing Taksin's boast about  solving the traffic problem. 

Anyway, nice to have the clown back in the news. His ear (barley) problem appears to have cleared up, so are we going to see him behind the wheel of his pink motor now.  

53 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Anyway, nice to have the clown back in the news. His ear (barley) problem appears to have cleared up, so are we going to see him behind the wheel of his pink motor now.  

Is that a recent photo? No, he's aged considerably past that photo and the photo is no indication whatever of his current status as a drunk.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

No it was Prayut who was going to clean up the smog.. or whatever. They all seem to have those impossible statements and no Thai ever seems to comment about it. 

And Thaksin might have said something like that too... who knows they all seem to do it. 

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

No it was Prayut who was going to clean up the smog.. or whatever. They all seem to have those impossible statements and no Thai ever seems to comment about it. 

And Thaksin might have said something like that too... who knows they all seem to do it. 

Yes, the paymaster claimed he would fix Bkk traffic problems in six months, time was up, nothing improved, portfolio very quietly passed to another 'yes sir' crony. 

Yes, the paymaster made himself the Education minister, claimed he would change / fix everything in six months, time was up, nothing improved, portfolio very quietly passed to another 'yes sir' crony. 

52 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Oh the coward Chalerm is back! Where was he the last 5 years while Cha Cha and his cronies dismantled everything that was left of Thailand’s fragile democracy?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

He was quiet after demanded to report to the the army barrack with other previous ministers. Those NCPO policies warning against criticism must have affected him like so many others. It was not a normal time last 5 years.

3 hours ago, yokat said:

1 - PM should never interfere with a court case, just the fact that someone consider a warning to be needed shows that its useless.

2 - PM owns the system so prison is not a threat

I feel like statements like this one are just harmless PR stunts. 

Or am I missing something here ? Does PM have any reason to follow the warning ?

A weak rule of law, right from the top down!

4 hours ago, Huayrat said:

Red rag to a Bull.. He will do the opposite thinking he is the big man..

I'm not sure he's a bull anymore. The disappointment of the election (lost it even though it was rigged, now have to shuffle around more to "fix" the outcome), and realizing he now has to deal with huge opposition at every move must've gotten to him. He's been quiet since the elections (as opposed to before).

18 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I sincerely pray that they interfere and the US Department of Justice issues subpoenas for some HiSos.

Let them learn

Unfortunately a subpoena from a U.S. court won't carry much weight in Thailand. But he better not travel:). 

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

Chalerm making public statements about interfering in justice, ohh the irony...

I do not think this bloke was ever above the law, and did never have the possibility to issue article 44 wonders. Shoot the messenger, even if the message is absolutely correct. But we all know you are a junta lacky. Credibility be damned. 

Archived