Tips in paper money only?About the way you tipping in thailand

daemon

Hi folks,

I'm a Chinese working in bkk.

Here is something maybe interesting(or not)

Every Chinese tourist who comes to Thailand will be told not to pay ur tips in coin(in Paper currency only)
The guides (or any information on the Internet) will tell you that in Thailand, tipping in coins is very rude and offensive.
I mean, every one,every guides,every website,every people will tell you that over and over.
No one doubts.
You can see this warning in any Chinese travel guide for Thailand.
Coins can only be given to beggars! 
If you pay a coin for a tip, maybe the waiter will be super angry,and punch your face.
So i've seen a lot of interesting things happen here. 
After some Chinese tourists check, they put the coins to their pockets and take out the paper money as a tip. 
Sometimes they don't have 20/40 baht paper currency(you know,always happend), maybe they will pay 100,500.
In the beginning, I think this may be a kind of culture of Western countries(Sorry,i really don't know even now) because Thailand may not be a tipping rule country until lots of Western tourists come.
So I tried to search Google for anything about coins and tips.
I don't know if I didn't find Useful information because my English was not good enough.
There are only a few people who discuss whether quarters should be paid as a tip, but it seems that the conclusion is only about how much you pay?
So, I try Korean and Japanese keywords with Google translation about coins and tips in thailand.
I thought it might be a rumor in East Asian countries.
Still nothing.
So,only chinese?I mean really, you can ask anyone chinses people in thailand,they know this,they had been told before.I'm sure.

Is anyone telling me if this ture? Or is this ture in your motherland?thanks a lot.

1.jpg

11 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

You DONT  tip anyone  it's as  simple as  that. Tipping is American nonsense only.

Not exactly nonsense, it's the way the system is set up. It helps ensure better service. I've seen both sides of this issue and agree with both of them as such: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

When I receive the little notebook with my change, I keep any bills and leave the coins. My one exception - there is a place I gather with friends most Saturday afternoons, and I ALWAYS leave a 20 baht tip. The girls there show actual appreciation and we receive better service than most other places I frequent.

3 minutes ago, quandow said:

Not exactly nonsense, it's the way the system is set up. It helps ensure better service. I've seen both sides of this issue and agree with both of them as such: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

nah they  just expect it and revert to shit  service and get lazier than they already are.

You wont see  many Thais  tipping  if you want to  follow your Rome. However id  be more than  happy  to throw them to the lions

21 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

You DONT  tip anyone  it's as  simple as  that. Tipping is American nonsense only.

Just like you said. I'm almost not tip in Thailand only if I feel I get good services. But my my confusion is about the coins and papers. 

Is anyone not Chinese heard this before?thx

I think the question is the amount of tip and not so much if it is coins or paper.

I.e. in many bars they will give you i.e. 30B in change in coins and not a 20B note and a 10B coin. I am pretty sure the idea is that the customers leaves the coins as tip.

Tips are an important part of the overall income form service staff. Many service staff get less than minimum salary with the explanation that they get tips. So they rely on those tips.

Many years ago when I arrived in Bangkok a maid earned maybe 100B per day. At that time I thought if I give her 10B tip that should be fine - if everyone in each hotel room would give her 10B that would be another 100B or more. But my lovely visitors at that time told me I should give at least 20B. 20B is acceptable - anything less looks like cheap charley and should be avoided.

And you don't have to tip. But if you don't want to tip then don't leave something like 7B change. Remove it completely or make it 20 or 27B  - at least this is my opinion.

There isn’t really a rule or expectation, people in Thailand are always happy with a tip. I tip the taxi driver if he drove save or the hairdresser or even the gas pump operator. For most of us this is small money but for many makes a difference. The gratitude and smile is worth it. About the coins, this is utter BS, people here are very happy with coins just look at the tip box in Starbucks.
For restaurants, be careful, many already add 10% service charge on the bin. I have no idea if this tip actually ends up with the service people...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived