BANGKOK 21 May 2019 03:54
webfact

SCB introduces prepaid card for tourists

SCB introduces prepaid card for tourists

scb.jpg

BANGKOK,  (NNT) - In the latest move to realize the cashless society concept in Thailand, the Siam Commercial Bank has joined hands with The Mall Group and VISA to introduce the SCB M VISA PREPAID TOURIST card, a reloadable debit card product offering greater convenience to foreign visitors to Thailand when making payments.

Siam Commercial Bank’s (SCB) First Executive Vice President Jamaree Ketrakool has revealed the SCB M VISA PREPAID TOURIST product will offer privileges catering to foreign tourists visiting and shopping in Thailand. The card can be issued after an easy application process which only requires the applicant’s passport at the Emporium, the EmQuartier shopping malls, Paragon Department Store, or at SCB’s currency exchange kiosks at Don Muang Airport.

The debit card will be valid for five years after issuance, allowing cardholders to use the card every time they return to Thailand. The card has no fees, and can be topped up at any service center inside any the Mall Group’s shopping malls, with the minimum top up amount being 100 baht. Cardholders won’t have to worry about currency exchange rates as the top up and all spending will be done in the Thai Baht, and will receive points and discounts provided by the Mall Group and other privileges from VISA in 200 countries worldwide.

The SCB aims to issue 50,000 cards and have 600 million baht in total spending by visitors using this card in one year.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-16

Great idea but from from ground breaking. Prepaid cards have been around for years, depends on XE if beneficial or not

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

In the latest move to realize the cashless society concept in Thailand

I may live to eat my words but somehow I don't see the 'cashless society concept' catching on in Thailand. A very large percentage of the workforce don't pay tax and many businesses run 'double book keeping'.

'Cash' transactions form part of the black economy which is massive in Thailand.  It goes on from the smallest shopkeeper up into large corporations.  My ex Mrs worked for a fairly large Japanese O.E. auto parts manufacturer - her basic salary was paid through the books at a level that kept her out of income tax, the rest, including overtime was paid in cash.

I don't doubt that a cashless society is coming in the West but in Asia?  I doubt they could make it work. I wonder if the B.I.B will accept SCB's new card to pay a speeding ticket?

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

If it can be used in bars, pubs and and the ladies of the night that will be a very useful card to have... 

yes..I can just see the ladies carrying portable "Square" swipe attachments/app for their mobile phones..very convenient indeed

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lingba said:
1 hour ago, ezzra said:

If it can be used in bars, pubs and and the ladies of the night that will be a very useful card to have... 

yes..I can just see the ladies carrying portable "Square" swipe attachments/app for their mobile phones..very convenient indeed

Hmm, I can see this degenerating into discussion about how/where to swipe the card.

So ex-pat farangs have to keep 800K tied up in a Thai bank for 5 months?  Farang tourists prepay to holiday in Thailand?  No wonder the baht is riding high and Thailand is struggling to export anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Makes me wonder where you will swipe it on the girls  :whistling:

• Haha 1

Bangkok Bank and their stupid Union Pay card That none want! Here you go!  here comes your problem!  

• Like 1

Just now, peter14 said:

Bangkok Bank and their stupid Union Pay card That none want! Here you go!  here comes your problem!

Spot on with that.

When I've spoken to the BKK Bank call centre in the past, saying there was no way I wanted one when my Visa debit card expired, I kept referring to it as "Useless Pay".

The girl understood my comment, but obviously wasn't allowed agree with with me. I see they are now offering Mastercard - thank Buddha for that!

• Sad 1