SCB introduces prepaid card for tourists

webfact

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

If your Visa debit card has a six digit pin and a microchip, that should be OK.

If however if has a four digit pin and no microchip, it will cease to work after 31 December 2019, irrespective on the expiry date on the card. I spoke to BKK Bank call centre about this months ago.

All part of the Bank of Thailand's policy to use an alleged 'more secure system'.

Thanks for the info as my Visa has a 4 digit pin and no chip. However, I have been assured by my local branch of BB that it will be valid to its expiry date (01/22) then they will issue me with a Mastercard debit card.

Seems just like another step in monitoring foreigners all glossed up along with the biometrics at the airport and to have simcard ... not to mention the farcical TM30 nonsense amongst others. George Orwell would have been impressed. Then again though, many freedoms and privacy rights have been taken away in the name of sugar-coated convenience and security. Bet it's not just SCB that is privy to the data of amount spent, by who, where, at what time time of day and on what etc. 

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks for the info as my Visa has a 4 digit pin and no chip. However, I have been assured by my local branch of BB that it will be valid to its expiry date (01/22) then they will issue me with a Mastercard debit card.

Not looking to try and cause you problems. However, I'd suggest double checking  with the call centre (on 1333) to see if they confirm that.

I had a similar instance with SCB over something technical, as the local branch do have more limited knowledge with some details.

I also had some email discussion with Bank of Thailand about the 'new' (to Thailand) chip & pin cards. They have insisted the old four-digit ATM cards will not work after 31 December. Your local branch should replace it free of charge pretty soon.

10 hours ago, SABloke said:

Heard of China? Some stats even show that up to 70% of RURAL China is now using e-payments over cash. It seems that only Sweden outshines China in terms of being cashless.

Using online methods to pay bills etc. is not the same as 'Cashless'. I suspect that those very same rural dwellers in China also still use/accept cash.

Do not underestimate the size or power of the 'black economy'.  Clearly I'm not in a position to forecast but I suspect that the consequences of a cashless society in countries like Thailand would be dire.

That said, if a cashless economy was imposed upon the population, it could have some positive effects - if more people were paying income tax, the government should (in theory) have more to spend on welfare.

The losers in a future cashless society would, as usual, be ordinary working class people. All the hype by western governments in recent years about how cashless systems will combat crime etc. etc. - then the members of those governments are found to have their 'cash' in secret offshore accounts. The rich will always find a way to avoid paying tax - leaving that duty to the working man.

pre paid card is not something new from SCB Bank. They have this for foreign workers. now they extended to tourists which is OK.

keep in mind though, this is just a pre paid cash card. it is not an official bank account.

It means, you cannot transfer or receive money or do classic bank transactions.

all you can do is withdrawing money from SCB ATMS and using it as a visa card for payments.

On 5/16/2019 at 8:24 PM, DrTuner said:

'topped up at any service center inside any the Mall Group’s shopping malls'

Meh. I want online topping.

yeah... basically this wonderful product means

- withdraw money via atm and pay 220 THB fee

- find one of the limited wonderful card locations and register for the card + top up the money

- if you need to withdraw - can't use atm... find one of the limited wonderful card locations

or, I don't know

- use your freaking overseas card and pay for whatever you need (many don't charge any fees at all)

Archived