Jump to content
BANGKOK
Capealava

Retirement Medical insurance mandatory best company over 70

Recommended Posts

As of July mandatory health insurance is a requirement for obtaining a retirement visa in Thailand. I am over 70 and many companies do not insure over 70. I am looking for links to the cheapest insurance that covers the minimum 

Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment

Bt400,000 coverage for inpatient treatments.

Thanks for any help with this

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

too many people panicking who don't understand the difference between an OA and O. No need for these type of threads

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So can anyone answer the actual question about the 400/40 for over 70 regardless of visa type please. 

OP a couple of topics down you can download a spreadsheet of prices.

Edited by farmerjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

So can anyone answer the actual question about the 400/40 for over 70 regardless of visa type please. 

You could try AIA. They cover me for accidents - not general health cover  - up to and including age 74.  On the assumption you're in good health, the most likely need for hospital treatment would be an unfortunate accident.

 

I have heard that for those unable to find health cover owing to age or existing health issues, that an extra lump sum deposit, e.g. 400k, could be an alternative resolution, and maybe accepted by Imm should they enforce health cover for every ex-pat residing in Thailand. 

 

I guess we would have to wait and see.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did more research. The Thai government gave this link for insurance companies who will provide the necessary insurance. However for this over 70, it ranges from 75,000 to 115,000 a year https://longstay.tgia.org

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capealava said:

Did more research. The Thai government gave this link for insurance companies who will provide the necessary insurance. However for this over 70, it ranges from 75,000 to 115,000 a year https://longstay.tgia.org

 

There's also this recent ThaiVisa thread on available medical insurance policy issuers for older expats here....

 

 

There's basically going to be two different kinds of policies here...

 

1. are the very limited coverage, high priced policies listed on the government sponsored LongStay website where Thai insurers have targeted those policies specifically at expats.

 

2. are the general medical insurance policies and companies discussed in the thread I linked to above, which are available to older expats in Thailand, but actually have useful/higher and reasonable coverage amounts that would actually pay for hospital bills in Thailand if you got seriously sick here. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

 

Just a comparative note: the posted premium for Thaivivat's 400K/40K of coverage is considerably higher than the 5M baht per disability coverage, including outpatient, that I currently have with Pacific Cross (with a 40K annual deductible and no claims discount applied).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a blog posted over a year go that addressed this. https://www.thethailandlife.com/international-health-insurance 

 

I think there will be another update given the recent news about non O-A requirement (not to be confused with non - O).

 

A big problem that the article tries to address is the trust factor in picking an insurance company that will actually honor their coverage.   It's all on paper until you actually have an issue (need to make a claim).  It will be open season on older expats in a panic to obtain coverage over the next several months

Edited by 4evermaat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

You could try AIA. They cover me for accidents - not general health cover  - up to and including age 74.  On the assumption you're in good health, the most likely need for hospital treatment would be an unfortunate accident.

 

I have heard that for those unable to find health cover owing to age or existing health issues, that an extra lump sum deposit, e.g. 400k, could be an alternative resolution, and maybe accepted by Imm should they enforce health cover for every ex-pat residing in Thailand. 

 

I guess we would have to wait and see.

 

I'm insured by A1A and called them and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.  No one has told them about mandatory health insurance for long stay (retirement extensions) yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I am beginning to understand it.  Pacific cross and Bangkok insurance will take over 70's.  If you have a claim the next year your insurance cost skyrockets and they take all of your money and you leave Thailand. 

 

So maybe you get lucky and die before you have a major claim.

 

Am I seeing that correctly?  It's going to cost me 100,000 to insure with Pacific cross or Bangkok? 

 

I'll start the search for more accurate information after I walk the dog. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think I am beginning to understand it.  Pacific cross and Bangkok insurance will take over 70's.  If you have a claim the next year your insurance cost skyrockets and they take all of your money and you leave Thailand. 

 

So maybe you get lucky and die before you have a major claim.

 

Am I seeing that correctly?  It's going to cost me 100,000 to insure with Pacific cross or Bangkok? 

 

I'll start the search for more accurate information after I walk the dog. 

Well that's about $270US a month. Hard to find comparably private healthcare insurance coverage for that price in the USA. Even with Medicare you will need part B and probably part D which will run about $200US a month. On top of that you would be living in a country where most everything will be more expensive than Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...