Pattaya's Dead

dgoz

Don't expect Pattaya to "bounce back next year".

It's on a slippery slope to a ghost town.

Too much crime, too much corruption, too much xenophobic nationalism.

Sure, the bar/restaurant owners will get on here and talk up the town to try and protect their investments, but the fact is everyone here(who is honest with themselves)can see it dying a painful death.

I just wonder what the BiB are going to do now to earn(yeah right) a crust this coming slow season when we start moving out. How are those 5000 baht salaries looking without tea money now boys? You shouldn't have bitten the hand that feeds. Sum num naa.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya will never die a painful death, it may have to re-invent itself at some point in the future although i can't see that happening anytime soon. Pattaya is what it is and you either love it or hate it, and i am sure for every unhappy person here there are 00's are more than content with their lives.

Sure, the bar/restaurant owners will get on here and talk up the town to try and protect their investments, but the fact is everyone here(who is honest with themselves)can see it dying a painful death.

I just wonder what the BiB are going to do now to earn(yeah right) a crust this coming slow season when we start moving out. How are those 5000 baht salaries looking without tea money now boys? You shouldn't have bitten the hand that feeds. Sum num naa.

Don't be hatin'. :o

Hate to admit it but I think you're right.

This years so called high season was very quiet and this week has been very dead.

I think the Thais have cooked the goose that laid the golden egg.

Hate to admit it but I think you're right.

This years so called high season was very quiet and this week has been very dead.

I think the Thais have cooked the goose that laid the golden egg.

Two of the most hateful and ignorant posters on TV have now joined force. Who would have thought? :o

Two of the most hateful and ignorant posters on TV have now joined force. Who would have thought? :o

waiting for the die-hard defenders to join...note toself: stock up beer and snacks...will be another interesting day on TV (no, not the telly...) :D

Most defenders don't bother anymore. Same with little children, the more you pander to them the more they whine.

Ignore them and they will eventually

wander off and play with a cornflakes box.

Edited by suiging

I agree I have spoken to several Thai business owners here and its down about 50% on this time last year. Both high and low season. Im glad I dont own a business in Thailand >> The reason " Look in the news clipping section"

Once they get the Family tourist here things will be different. :o

Cheers Tony :D

I guess those investors who are building a number of skyscrapers in Pataya (including O1 which will be the tallest building in Thailand once finished) are basically "eff'ed" then. Man, those poor people should have first come and asked Dgoz, Begbie and Pattayatony (who obviously know better). :o

I guess those investors who are building a number of skyscrapers in Pataya (including O1 which will be the tallest building in Thailand once finished) are basically "eff'ed" then. Man, those poor people should have first come and asked Dgoz, Begbie and Pattayatony (who obviously know better). :o

Do you have a problem with the truth???????

Pattaya is dead ? Try to cross Tappraya Road here in front of View Talay....try to find a baht bus going to South Pattaya that is not packed....go to Noon RistoranTino and see if you can find a free table....perhaps some of the "resident tourists" have packed but they got replaced by the Russian cheap fortnight hordes.

Pattaya is dead ? Try to cross Tappraya Road here in front of View Talay....try to find a baht bus going to South Pattaya that is not packed....go to Noon RistoranTino and see if you can find a free table....perhaps some of the "resident tourists" have packed but they got replaced by the Russian cheap fortnight hordes.

Interesting observation. It may well be "dead" for long term old pattaya hands, however, the Asian tour groups and the Volga Brigade are still mounting their own mini invasion.

As an aside, I honestly believe Patters is so big now it has out grown it's simple generic title. Lots of folk on here agree that the centre of the city in recent times has turned a tad unpleasent. However, from a seat by Mabprachan with a beer in hand around 1750hrs as the sun goes down, it's still very nice thank you. Perhaps it's time for "east" residents to declare UDI.

Edited by suiging

perhaps some of the "resident tourists" have packed but they got replaced by the Russian cheap fortnight hordes.

They'll soon dry up as news gets back that they're being shot whilst sitting on deck chairs.

Interesting observation. It may well be "dead" for long term old pattaya hands, however, the Asian tour groups and the Volga Brigade are still mounting their own mini invasion.

Reminds me of this news:

"Koreans love Pattaya, so KTCC would join local partners who have plots of land to invest about 400 million baht to develop a serviced apartment with 100 rooms on Jomtien Beach."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/080307_Business...r2007_biz45.php

Assuming that the OPs claims are accurate, how much is the fault of the political situation, a strong baht, unrest in the south making international headlines, and how much is it the fault of Pattaya itself?

To a first time visitor the violence in the south can turn them away from Pattaya due to their ignorance of geography, as I know more than one person near the Burmese border who got frantic phone calls from overseas after the tsunami.

Bit strange,

After being open only 8 months, construction of 11 additional rooms is well underway at my place and planned to be completed in another 6 weeks.

Reason, unable to cope with demand!!!!

Mind you, quite a few people were thinking me and my partner had lost our marbles in the first place, setting up shop where we did :o

I'm located just a short way outside of Pattaya!

So nope, Pattaya is not dying, but it's definitely changing. Just wondering when all those brilliant business men in Pattaya will see the light as to what is in demand, and start providing it...

One of our now favorite TV pissup places (incidentally bang in the middle of seedy Pattaya, very close to soi 6) seems to be doing a pretty good trade, and not a single loose female on the prowl to be seen :D

Cheers,

Monty

Bit strange,

After being open only 8 months, construction of 11 additional rooms is well underway at my place and planned to be completed in another 6 weeks.

Reason, unable to cope with demand!!!!

Mind you, quite a few people were thinking me and my partner had lost our marbles in the first place, setting up shop where we did :D

I'm located just a short way outside of Pattaya!

So nope, Pattaya is not dying, but it's definitely changing. Just wondering when all those brilliant business men in Pattaya will see the light as to what is in demand, and start providing it...

One of our now favorite TV pissup places (incidentally bang in the middle of seedy Pattaya, very close to soi 6) seems to be doing a pretty good trade, and not a single loose female on the prowl to be seen :D

Cheers,

Monty

Monty its horses for courses, You have done a great job on that resort out there and should be commended on it. ( Dont tell too many how well your doing as the Thai's from all over will be building the exact same thing as you NEXT door)

Cheers Tony :o

who sit on the beach in the early hours and get shot dead by a Thai trying to steal a mobile phone.......ahem

I tend to lean on the side of the OP here, the only place I actually see constantly busy is walking street and (to a lesser extent) a few of the other hot spots around the city, soi 8 7 6 2 - anywhere outside these locations unless very popular will have shutter down for good in a few months, as the numbers of visitors go down crime will go up as the locals look for other sources of income.

not a nice senario, the city authorities did not do enough to keep a firm grip on things, now they are well and truely on the back foot.

Monty, your post is almost backing up some aspects of the original posters point, you are busy but you are also in a small resort outside the main city, my guess would be quiet and peaceful with self sufficient facilities at the right price, that's good business.

Edited by gharknes

Look at the department stores, new shopping malls, upgrading infrastructure, multiplex cinemas, regeneration plans for walking street etc coming soon.... this is not the tell-tale sign of a city that's dying - IT'S THE OPPOSITE. Tourist statistics will always fluctuate and will only be a matter of time before it gets back to where it was a couple of years ago - indeed it's understandable that numbers are reportedly down considering last year Thailand undergone a glut of bad publicity. Also taking into account that Pattaya is a growing city, sometimes it seems quieter than it actually is at times. Think squirrels, think nuts.

Look at the department stores, new shopping malls, upgrading infrastructure, multiplex cinemas, regeneration plans for walking street etc coming soon.... this is not the tell-tale sign of a city that's dying - IT'S THE OPPOSITE. Tourist statistics will always fluctuate and will only be a matter of time before it gets back to where it was a couple of years ago - indeed it's understandable that numbers are reportedly down considering last year Thailand undergone a glut of bad publicity. Also taking into account that Pattaya is a growing city, sometimes it seems quieter than it actually is at times. Think squirrels, think nuts.

:o

:o

I agree with this but do you really think the powers-that-be will do anything to stop the "glut of bad publicity"? (Well, aside from muzzling the press).