Chinese gang preying on elderly and gullible Thais arrested in the south

webfact

Chinese gang preying on elderly and gullible Thais arrested in the south

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Police have arrested a gang of five Chinese people who were preying on the beliefs of people of Chinese descent living all over the south of Thailand. 

The three women and two men arrived at Suvarnabhumi from Guangzhou in China on tourist visas. 

news_gVHEpaXTgh192812_533.jpg

news_pFJxbJzUla192811_533.jpg

Pictures: Daily News

They then headed to the far south at Pattani. 

There they began conning old Thai women of Chinese ancestry who could speak Chinese. 

Victims were persuaded to put their valuables in a black plastic bag that was then tied up. 

A "mystical" ceremony was then made to assure the victims of good luck in the future. 

However, their luck had actually ran out when they encountered the gang. Unbeknownst to the victims they swapped the bags and the victims were told not to open them for seven days or the bad fortune would bedevil them.

When they did open the bags they found only sand. 

A joint police operation of the Naratiwas, Sungei Kolok and Nakorn Sri Thammarat forces led to the arrest of the gang at a resort in Nakorn Sri Thammarat. 

They had stolen from the gullible in Pattani, Betong, Yala, Sungei Kolok, Naratiwas, Hat Yai, Songkhla and Trang. 

Many more victims may be yet to come forward. 

The gang were found in possession of Thai, Malaysian and Chinese currency, gold jewelry and many other items. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-16

4pm.jpg

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

swapped the bags and the victims were told not to open them for seven days or the bad fortune would bedevil them.

To believe that, one gotto have a bad case of Alzheimer. The scammers went for the weakest, really ugly, hope they get a long long prison sentence.

After witnessing the outcome of the recent elections, and the reaction of the population, there is no shortage of gullible people nationwide, the scammers will be in their element! 

I cannot find it within myself to feel any sympathy for people stupid enough to believe that clear and obvious crap. I wouldn't be surprised if every one of those folks who got conned is walking around with a smart phone. You know, a world of knowledge at your fingertips and all.......

4 hours ago, Cereal said:

I cannot find it within myself to feel any sympathy for people stupid enough to believe that clear and obvious crap.

I suggest you look deeper within yourself.. Old and Lonely people can be easily scammed as is unfortunately happening in all rich and poor countries.

How many people calling the victims "stupid" and "gullible" themselves believe that they can communicate telepathically with a 2,000 year old Jewish zombie?

Or that even if they don't believe that, they believe one must respect the religious beliefs of others and not mock or criticize?

If one has that or other equally ridiculous magical beliefs of one's religion, it's not much of a leap for many people to believe in other superstitious beliefs which in turn make them easy victims.

Sometimes you just have to be smart enough to avoid obvious scams. But...once these people are caught they need to be publicly punished by paying a price that would discourage any others from following suit. Unfortunately most of these jokers think they are smarter than anyone else and don't think they will ever be caught. 

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

How many people calling the victims "stupid" and "gullible" themselves believe that they can communicate telepathically with a 2,000 year old Jewish zombie?

Or that even if they don't believe that, they believe one must respect the religious beliefs of others and not mock or criticize?

If one has that or other equally ridiculous magical beliefs of one's religion, it's not much of a leap for many people to believe in other superstitious beliefs which in turn make them easy victims.

One can respect others right to hold beliefs differing from our own, that includes those who get scammed through superstition and fear 

Archived