German husband of Thai woman helps by looking after the family's BBQ chicken stall

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 4evermaat said:

I nominate the replies to this thread for "most overreacted to" post of the year.  Geez

I reckon you could be on to something.

36 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I am genuinely surprised to read posters downplaying the risk of being hassled by the police for working, even casually. You can't pick up a newspaper, turn on the news, or go on an internet news outlet without reading about the latest immigration roundup. Thais are every bit as aware of these stories as TVF regulars, maybe more so. With the economy in the dumps and mom-and-pop businesses seeing less and less benefit from foreigners (who tend to favor big box retailers) I think resentment towards foreigners is palpably on the rise.

You don't think a competitor down the road might bitch to the police? What about that guy who was videotaped on Koh Samui for stealing work from local taxi drivers. The police encouraged the public to report labor law violations, didn't they? You'd have to be out of your mind these days to risk teaching without a work permit.

And just to tie this in with all the news about higher financial requirements for visas and possible mandatory health insurance for all, there's no way that many foreigners consumption patterns aren't going to be altered (read: become more constrained) by all this, and this is likely to hit everyday Thais the hardest. I think socio-economic tensions between everyday Thais and foreigners are going to rise further going forward.

40 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

heartwarming story!

no signs of harassment, abuse, intimidation, extortion or outright murder.

truly the land of smiles etc

Apart from the murder of the chickens. Makes you want to 'spit'.

Anyone who is shouting about work permits and the "law" is probably just a lazy duck that doesn't actually want to lift anything but a beer !!

In reality, occasionally folk have been busted for working but generally it's not even worth the plods attention.

Don't recall anyone being deported ??

He's not really risking anything, as he will just take his family back to the 1st world if anyone gives him a hard time....

Brilliant and such an informative story....so glad I didn't miss it.

Not to be looking for a medal or anything.....but I cannot keep it in ..about 7 years ago I helped my wife sweep the floor.

15 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Nice guy, good intentions perhaps, but the Thai laws and officials may come down on him.  He can't be swishing a broom, or washing a single dish, or basting a single chicken leg by the letter.

Meanwhile, there are thousands of nominee companies and nominee employees providing bogus work permits, especially Indian tailors, but not limited to them. 

I think he'll be alright.  He can use the 'dependancy' card, "I was just helping out".  It's not like he needs a street stall if he has a business already, is taking care of his wife and child, and assisting her sick mother.

Very bad PR if they came down on him for that, and even if they did deport him then "I was leaving anyway, I'm only here to support family, what's your issue?".

A German won't give a stuff about losing face, he'll want straight talk and the truth!  Thailand has many positives, but it does need a brand polishing, and people who don't want to lose face should not create opportunities to do so, so very very often.

My guess is nothing will happen.

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Good luck to the chap if that is what he enjoys but I am surprised they did not have baby in Germany and so get a German passport

The baby will still be eligible for a German passport, it is blood based not where you were born.

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Nice guy, good intentions perhaps, but the Thai laws and officials may come down on him.  He can't be swishing a broom, or washing a single dish, or basting a single chicken leg by the letter.

I believe that you are in fact required to help your wife by law.

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Good luck to the chap if that is what he enjoys but I am surprised they did not have baby in Germany and so get a German passport

The child is automatically a German citizen as his father is one, irrespective of the place of birth

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

He looks like a good man. I hope this story does not get him in trouble like the farang who lost his legs and had a hamburger stand.

He said his life and business in Thailand was destroyed after a simple Facebook posting.

That guy, who uses prosthetic legs, still sells his burgers near to where I live. Does a very good business near the main market and his burgers are very nice. In addition, he and his wife seem a very happy couple indeed. I see him quite regularly and, judging by what I see, his life has not been 'destroyed' at all.

Foreigners are not allowed to clean their condos not allowed to wash their cars, not allowed to cook their food, i dont know if Its also illegal for them to brush their teeth, shower and massage themselves or pay their bills. 

3 minutes ago, ZAKY said:

Foreigners are not allowed to clean their condos not allowed to wash their cars, not allowed to cook their food, i dont know if Its also illegal for them to brush their teeth, shower and massage themselves or pay their bills. 

what utter twaddle.

5 hours ago, webfact said:
Siam Chon News reported on Facebook that a German man - named only as "Mister Max" - was helping his Thai wife "Nong Naen" to sell BBQ chicken outside a bag factory in Pak Chong, Nakorn Ratchasima. 

Really who cares. Thais are xenophobic and racist. Maybe Thais should be kicked out of our countries. There should be reciprocity laws. You cant live in my country if I cant in yours. You cant own land in my country if I cant in yours. Is that not what globalism is about? This is nothing more than colonialism not globalism. 

47 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I believe that you are in fact required to help your wife by law.

Indeed that is part of Thai family law. In a small operation such as this he could easily claim he was adhering to the following:

Section 1461. Husband and wife shall cohabit as husband and wife.

Husband and wife shall maintain and support each other according to his or her ability and condition in life."

Archived