German husband of Thai woman helps by looking after the family's BBQ chicken stall

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shiver said:

I think he'll be alright.  He can use the 'dependancy' card, "I was just helping out".  It's not like he needs a street stall if he has a business already, is taking care of his wife and child, and assisting her sick mother.

Very bad PR if they came down on him for that, and even if they did deport him then "I was leaving anyway, I'm only here to support family, what's your issue?".

A German won't give a stuff about losing face, he'll want straight talk and the truth!  Thailand has many positives, but it does need a brand polishing, and people who don't want to lose face should not create opportunities to do so, so very very often.

My guess is nothing will happen.

My wife & I were sat in a friends restaurant when the husband was caught by undercover police handing out menus while she was cooking, he had a severe finger wagging and told not to do it again as it would be the monkey house. The police went up and down the beach and a few restaurants were fined for different things.

Well as most say it is illegal and some one could drop him right in the shit. But having said that, our last 3 years in Thailand (now been gone since 2016) My Thai wife and me we cooked over 200 snacks a day for our sons international school at 3pm every day, helped with our daily cash and good fun too

Mr Grumpy, very true. Alone this article has raised eyebrows in many circles. Anything that is not within the book isn't acceptable and will have the expected reaction. There are lots of morons who think by simply taking up a shovel they can do as they want. Not in LOS, and possibly not even back home by now.

24 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

My wife & I were sat in a friends restaurant when the husband was caught by undercover police handing out menus while she was cooking, he had a severe finger wagging and told not to do it again as it would be the monkey house. The police went up and down the beach and a few restaurants were fined for different things.

They have Vays of taking you away and they will only say in Vunc

Depriving a human being of the right to work and support their family is immoral, unlawful and unjust.It is a natural right that all of us are born with. The right to provide for ourselves and our families.

While this guy is trying to help the family why highlight on social media . Now that things have been made public the authorities have no option but to arrest and deport him . It’s probably been his thai wife who has taken the photos unaware of the consequences.

I'm afraid he will be back in Germany sooner than he thought .

5 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I nominate the replies to this thread for "most overreacted to" post of the year.  Geez

I completely agree, there are some very sad people on here who have nothing better to do than look for the worst in everything and everybody. 

Just now, mick01827 said:

I completely agree, there are some very sad people on here who have nothing better to do than look for the worst in everything and everybody. 

You've only just realized that? Some are so bad they'd shit in their own porridge to have something to complain about.  

11 minutes ago, pi2005ni said:

While this guy is trying to help the family why highlight on social media . Now that things have been made public the authorities have no option but to arrest and deport him . It’s probably been his thai wife who has taken the photos unaware of the consequences.

I'm afraid he will be back in Germany sooner than he thought .

yes a bad plan to take pics, but how many doing just this in bars and clubs, good luck to them i say, but keep your head down

50 minutes ago, mick01827 said:

Oh, please. I've been living in the Thai countryside for 16 years, and have studied the human behavior of locals as much as anybody else on here. It's not looking for the worst in everybody, it's seeing things for what they are instead of trying to superimpose sentimentalized versions of reality on your environment.

Somebody owes you money and doesn't pay, or doesn't like you because you refused to lend them money, is annoyed at you for complaining about their loud music, is jealous of your wife because they think she thinks she's better than them because she's married to a foreigner, or thinks a wife married to a rich foreigner already has plenty of money and shouldn't be "stealing" their customers, or somebody's just plain jealous? You think Thais are exempt from petty and base human emotions? I got news for you. They're not.

3 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

I see no problem of him doing that. There's nothing wrong about it. He was helping, and helping is not illegal. I've seen other foreigners actually running shops or restaurants and I see nothing wrong with it.

Helping without a Work Permit is definitely illegal.

Saw a guy get jammed up with Immigration for being behind the bar while wifely went to the bank, plus right now there is heightened awareness about Farang working illegally here and taking Thai jobs.

I have seen similar happen at least 5 times here...........others just seem quick to rat u out and cause u a problem.

I see this story published twice now in T V.......not sure why.

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

Exactly,.......seen it al least 5 times myself

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Nice guy, good intentions perhaps, but the Thai laws and officials may come down on him.  He can't be swishing a broom, or washing a single dish, or basting a single chicken leg by the letter.

Not a big deal. I have seen this type of expat cooking at a stall many places in isaan. Saw expat selling food to several Thai cops in uniforms. Talked to the expat and his wife owns the stall and he likes to work and help out. The only people that worry in Thailand are the expats in TVF. Some of you guys need a Xanax or rent a car and travel around and meet some Thai people.

This country is not accurately protrayed  in many posts. If your family has a business and you get along with authorities they don’t treat you badly and not let you work with your family. Especially outside of the expat bubbles in Bangkok. 

13 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Not a big deal. I have seen this type of expat cooking at a stall many places in isaan. Saw expat selling food to several Thai cops in uniforms. Talked to the expat and his wife owns the stall and he likes to work and help out. The only people that worry in Thailand are the expats in TVF. Some of you guys need a Xanax or rent a car and travel around and meet some Thai people.

This country is not accurately protrayed  in many posts. If your family has a business and you get along with authorities they don’t treat you badly and not let you work with your family. Especially outside of the expat bubbles in Bangkok. 

Is that what you have found so far?  I know several cases of Farangs being in trouble for working like this... one had a restaurant near me and some other farangs reported him to the police as he was doing the cooking in the back, his wife serving the food.  He had to close down because of it in the end... and was embarrassed getting arrested in front of the customers!

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

He looks like a good man. I hope this story does not get him in trouble like the farang who lost his legs and had a hamburger stand.

He said his life and business in Thailand was destroyed after a simple Facebook posting.

He ground his legs into hamburger? Wow.....

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Germany is a bit funny about handing out passports to kids born abroad.

My cousin was born in the UK to a German mom, worked as a German/English translator for the EU in Strasbourg, never managed to get a German passport despite trying for years.

What are you talking about? I am a German. My son was born about 4 years ago in CM. He got a German passport immediately from the Honorary Consulate in CM. Only his German birth certificate needed 4 years.

28 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

The problem is it's 'all copacetic' until the day it's not 'all copacetic.'

8 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Good luck to the chap if that is what he enjoys but I am surprised they did not have baby in Germany and so get a German passport

You get also a german pasport as wel the Thai one..

43 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Is that what you have found so far?  I know several cases of Farangs being in trouble for working like this... one had a restaurant near me and some other farangs reported him to the police as he was doing the cooking in the back, his wife serving the food.  He had to close down because of it in the end... and was embarrassed getting arrested in front of the customers!

With friends like that who needs enemies!

I guess the mythical brotherhood of fellow expats isn't real big around your area.

It seems there are more TVF members concerned about this guy helping his wife than all the cops, immigration and employment bozos combined!

Is it a jealousy thing?

Some of the difference in perspective about this may have something to do with how much you have to lose. Helping out with the mother-in-law's grilled chicken stand while you're on a pit-stop visit to your wife's home town isn't risking much, but when you have a house, land, and family here, you could end up risking everything with a visa violation.

Archived