Class sizes

Blimey.

After deliberation and visiting of various schools, we decided on a state school that has a good reputation. Mayathom 1.

After three days of orientation of children and parents we finally find out:

1. How much we will have to pay (not too expensive, but I should have liked to know before, instead of getting the "it depends" run around. Other parents didn't really know either).

And

2. CLASS SIZE! 49! Is this a 'normal' class size?

This was one reason we decided against another school, class sizes of 50 +.

I guess I am ranting about a general lack of information from schools in general, you know, small stuff like school begin (found out yesterday), holidays, exams, rabies at her old school.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I started my first 6 or 7 years at school in Europe with 40 + in one class and one teacher per subject.

It was very normal in those days and worked well. Discipline of course was a must. So it's not just the number of students but the schooling system that counts.

My 'Baby Boomer' senior school classes at an inner city comprehensive school during the 1970's had consistently 45-50 kids in the class. 7 class sets per year from 'selective tuition' to 'Educationaly Sub-normal' or ESN. There was 1,750-1,850 in the school typically. There were no problems at all that were not dealt with immediately with strict class discippline, which was absolute - No one dare speak or play around else it would be '6 of the best' for you with your name entered into the punishment book, once class finnished at 4pm.  For sure, fear of the cane, taws and size 13 plimsole all wielded by the head of the PE dept kept everyone in check. For the real tough guys during my early school years from the mid 1960's onwards, the threat of being sent to borstal was always on the cards, though in the 1970's, borstal began to be phased out as the Uk went all wishy-washy.

At Uni, classes size in the lecture theatre every day was about 115. Again, class discipline was good. Make any noise and you're thrown out the class. Consistently be disruptive and you're thrown out of Uni very quickly. The thought of loosing your tuition fees and messing up your future professional plans helps concentrate the mind in this respect.

IMHO, class size is unimportant. Quality of teaching and class discipline is important.  

To the OP

From previous posts I see that you are in the Buriram area.

The school I believe you could be referring to is Buriram Pittayakhom. Class sizes of 49 are standard. The "reputation" is misleading.

How far from Buriram town centre are you? There are a few schools on the outskirts that are equally as good with class sizes 40 or under.

When it came to my daughter moving up to high school we decided on the school near to our home. Good school and class size of 38.

If I am correct about your location, you may wish to try a local forum there and find some school names. I have, on numerous occasions, received good knowledge from an expat teacher there. If I am wrong about your location, please accept my apologies for wasting your time.

1 hour ago, SteveB2 said:

My 'Baby Boomer' senior school classes at an inner city comprehensive school during the 1970's had consistently 45-50 kids in the class. 7 class sets per year from 'selective tuition' to 'Educationaly Sub-normal' or ESN. There was 1,750-1,850 in the school typically. There were no problems at all that were not dealt with immediately with strict class discippline, which was absolute - No one dare speak or play around else it would be '6 of the best' for you with your name entered into the punishment book, once class finnished at 4pm.  For sure, fear of the cane, taws and size 13 plimsole all wielded by the head of the PE dept kept everyone in check. For the real tough guys during my early school years from the mid 1960's onwards, the threat of being sent to borstal was always on the cards, though in the 1970's, borstal began to be phased out as the Uk went all wishy-washy.

At Uni, classes size in the lecture theatre every day was about 115. Again, class discipline was good. Make any noise and you're thrown out the class. Consistently be disruptive and you're thrown out of Uni very quickly. The thought of loosing your tuition fees and messing up your future professional plans helps concentrate the mind in this respect.

IMHO, class size is unimportant. Quality of teaching and class discipline is important.  

That doesn't work anymore.

Kids are not afraid of anything at school nowadays. This make class sizes very important.

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

That doesn't work anymore.

Kids are not afraid of anything at school nowadays. This make class sizes very important.

Nope - it still works very well indeed - It's just not open to the plebs any more ????

Gonna cost you at least GBP40K per child to get them a decent education in the UK nowadays.

Back closer to home, there's some great schools in Thailand - even some government schools occasional create outstanding students, in what are considered to be backwards, up country locations. I currently go to Thai government (free) school in the Chonbrui province. There were approx 80 in class at term start. 

49 minutes ago, SteveB2 said:

Nope - it still works very well indeed - It's just not open to the plebs any more ????

Gonna cost you at least GBP40K per child to get them a decent education in the UK nowadays.

Back closer to home, there's some great schools in Thailand - even some government schools occasional create outstanding students, in what are considered to be backwards, up country locations. I currently go to Thai government (free) school in the Chonbrui province. There were approx 80 in class at term start. 

You have a lot of knowledge for a student who goes to government school. You must study very hard. 

49 is not that unusual at all.  Both of my kids schools that they attended in Bangkok varied between 42-52 most of the time.  They were also schools that were considered very good by Thai standards.  They each did well and went on to high school in the USA and then graduated from US universities.

With so many students in a class there is very little chance for a teacher to spend some time one on one with any one student in the class. And with so many students' work to make and grade, how much time can they realistically spend helping those who need their help most?

All things being equal, 49 is way too many. 20, or even less, would be preferable, but in the Thai public system that's dreaming.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, cooked said:

I guess I am ranting about a general lack of information from schools in general, you know, small stuff like school begin (found out yesterday), holidays, exams, rabies at her old school.

We got the same vagueness from the private kindergarten and school our granddaughter attended. Information comes in the form of a printed sheet given to parents a few days before things happen.

To the OP

From previous posts I see that you are in the Buriram area.

The school I believe you could be referring to is Buriram Pittayakhom. Class sizes of 49 are standard. The "reputation" is misleading.

How far from Buriram town centre are you? There are a few schools on the outskirts that are equally as good with class sizes 40 or under.

When it came to my daughter moving up to high school we decided on the school near to our home. Good school and class size of 38.

If I am correct about your location, you may wish to try a local forum there and find some school names. I have, on numerous occasions, received good knowledge from an expat teacher there. If I am wrong about your location, please accept my apologies for wasting your time.
You mean the guy that takes a delight in humiliating newbies and generally comes across as a know it all?
No thanks, he's the reason I no longer contribute to that forum although he has gone a bit quieter recently.

Sent from my iris88_go using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, cooked said:

You mean the guy that takes a delight in humiliating newbies and generally comes across as a know it all?
No thanks, he's the reason I no longer contribute to that forum although he has gone a bit quieter recently.

I doubt it. The guy I am talking about has been a teacher here for 20 odd years. He has always been very helpful on the forum, from what I have seen. Never seen him ridicule anyone, even when a couple of others have baited him.

Lets face it, if someone has been here for that long they are bound to know what they are talking about.

I doubt it. The guy I am talking about has been a teacher here for 20 odd years. He has always been very helpful on the forum, from what I have seen. Never seen him ridicule anyone, even when a couple of others have baited him.

Lets face it, if someone has been here for that long they are bound to know what they are talking about.
That's the guy. He sent me a series of ridiculously sneering PMs after I had the gall to disagree with something. I found myself PMing newbies explaining about him. Maybe you haven't been here as long as I have.

29 minutes ago, cooked said:

That's the guy. He sent me a series of ridiculously sneering PMs after I had the gall to disagree with something. I found myself PMing newbies explaining about him. Maybe you haven't been here as long as I have.

Been here since 1999. Been a member on there since 2010.

So you've become a snitch? Makes you worse. There is nothing worse on any forum than back stabbing.

Please stay on topic and the topic is not about any particular member.    There is a report button for reporting posts and members who post inflammatory remarks, troll or are otherwise off-topic.  

My experience with such large classrooms, high school 36-45 students. Ineffective, limiting. One needs a completely different approach in teaching 20 or 40 students. After 35 it's a sea of faces. I always fought that feeling at the one school. In the end, I left. Loved that school and the students but huge classes, hundreds of students. I was feeling ineffective and the classroom unrewarding. I'd say 25 is ok, less is best. 30 a maximum. I think my own k-12 education was about 25-30 students. Language is different though, smaller classes really are far better.

Archived