Want to Buy a Home in Thailand? You Have More Than 450,000 to Choose From

Want to Buy a Home in Thailand? You Have More Than 450,000 to Choose From

By Natnicha Chuwiruch

screenshot_9270.jpg

Photographer: Brent Lewis/Bloomberg

>> A supply glut will see developers look to clear excess stock

>> Chinese investors are pulling back amid local capital controls

A glut of condominiums as Thailand’s economy waversand stricter mortgage-lending rules kick in is creating a buyer’s market in Bangkok.

Some 65,000 new apartments were added to the city last year, an 11% increase over 2017 and the most since 2009. Demand, however, is tepid with developers reporting take-up rates of just 55% and average asking prices decreasing 6% year-on-year, a Knight Frank report shows.

It’s a chance to get into the market as home builders look to clear excess stock at lower prices, according to Aliwassa Pathnadabutr, a managing director of CBRE Group Inc. in Thailand.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-15/bangkok-s-empty-condos-create-buyer-s-market-as-foreigners-flee

-- Bloomberg 2019-05-16

Despite the evidence there are posters here in total denial about falling prices as stated above. Guess Farangs are no different to locals and don't like to loose face and admit they paid too much for their property I guess 'cos they thought they would make a profit. 

Wonder how long before somebody replies and say his property must be an exception 'cos its now worth more ?

48 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not a good time to enter the market as it hasn't bottomed out yet, give it another year or two says I.

I'd wait and see if I had to buy an expensive (and probably worthless) Thai health insurance policy before I brought any more of my money into the country. Just imagine owning a home here only to be told you need to pay another 100k/year for insurance.

17 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

But they said the chinese will not stop and buy everything

???????? 

not as easy as before, Xi is tightening control over money leaving the country..... less chinese will be traveling overseas as well

55 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not a good time to enter the market as it hasn't bottomed out yet, give it another year or two says I.

if things are so slow why I see new construction sites (mostly condo/apartments/high rise buildings) starting up on a weekly/month basis, is the money easy and cheap to borrow in Thailand?

The 450,000 units "only" include unsold inventory from developers, as far as I read it. If the secondary market is included, this actually is starting to look dicey.

My guess it that the 300-400,000 baht/m2 market will take a haircut and the 50-100,000 baht/m2 segment will remain stagnant for the next 5 years.

"Still, some developers remain sanguine. Sansiri Pcl says it continues to see "real demand" from foreign purchasers despite recent challenges, adding they account for as much as 30% of the firm’s sales.

Knight Frank believes the glut and falling prices may be short lived, citing Bangkok’s resilience and planned infrastructure projects that will renew the city.

Ask anyone who’s been in property how many times they’ve heard the bubble will burst?,” the firm’s Bangkok-based head of residential, Frank Khan, said. “I’ve heard this more than 10 times, but in my last 15 years, it’s never burst.”"

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Surprised @madman hasn't trashed the OP yet.

Took him a time but he just managed it in post #10. He must or his employers or other partners must have made some very poor investment choices.  KingCanute would be proud.

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

Ask anyone who’s been in property how many times they’ve heard the bubble will burst?,” the firm’s Bangkok-based head of residential, Frank Khan, said. “I’ve heard this more than 10 times, but in my last 15 years, it’s never burst.”"

Famous last words?

19 minutes ago, madmen said:

"Still, some developers remain sanguine. Sansiri Pcl says it continues to see "real demand" from foreign purchasers despite recent challenges, adding they account for as much as 30% of the firm’s sales.

Knight Frank believes the glut and falling prices may be short lived, citing Bangkok’s resilience and planned infrastructure projects that will renew the city.

i've been in the property business 22 years and i seem to remember a teeny weeny blip just around 1997.. shhh cherry pick ya data George ????

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Some 65,000 new apartments were added to the city last year, an 11% increase over 2017 and the most since 2009. Demand, however, is tepid with developers reporting take-up rates of just 55% and average asking prices decreasing 6% year-on-year, a Knight Frank report shows.

They'll never sell if they dont come with their own helicopter like this one in Pattaya.

Graphic-Images_190226_0005.jpg

5 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

I've been in the property business 22 years and i seem to remember a teeny weeny blip just around 1997.. shhh cherry pick ya data George ????

When I first came to Chiang Mai in 2009, I had a little hobby of visiting derelict and abandoned building sites and Moobaans in the area. There were dozens (or maybe hundreds) of them, really big places, there are plenty still around.

They'll never sell if they dont come with their own helicopter like this one in Pattaya.  Graphic-Images_190226_0005.jpg&key=e7320c209d427053b7242b02fc31c34776af6292cf230aec9c3e553fc6df01c7

Funny enough that u can not really own a private heli here or even get a valid license for these pads. Marketing bullshit deluxe, instead of a nice rooftop garden with swimming pool and bbq area you get a non functional heli pad.[emoji19][emoji120]

As laughable as these new luxury penthouses here that have no balcony/terrace or if they have one than it's just for housing the AC.

Maybe actually build some stuff where people can LIVE in might be a niche developers could look into...

Add a garden, rooftop terrace, balconies, bbq area, kids playground etc. Old condos have these amenities but overpriced luxury chickenboxes don't

[emoji2961][emoji2961][emoji120][emoji19]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i've been in the property business 22 years and i seem to remember a teeny weeny blip just around 1997.. shhh cherry pick ya data George ????

And I've been involved in the lottery business a lot longer than that but does not mean I know enough to win it ????

Funniest OP I've read in years. Buy property in a city which is more subject to the effects of global warming than just about any other location on the planet, with visitation rights of a maximum of one year, subject to the whims of Immigration? I couldn't make this up if I tried.

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Thais will deal with it by increasing selling price by 20% ????

There is a lot of truth to what you say.

However, Thais can afford to hold and wait. It's their country and they don't have visa rules and hospital bills to worry about.

Farang can't wait, that is the problem. 

This is why Chinese and Russians prefer to buy in countries they can get residency and will not kick them out.

There is a lot of truth to what you say.

However, Thais can afford to hold and wait. It's their country and they don't have visa rules and hospital bills to worry about.

Farang can't wait, that is the problem. 

This is why Chinese and Russians prefer to buy in countries they can get residency and will not kick them out.
No they just have mortgages to pay...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

if things are so slow why I see new construction sites (mostly condo/apartments/high rise buildings) starting up on a weekly/month basis, is the money easy and cheap to borrow in Thailand?

Could be that money is cheap, especially if some banks are in partnership with the developers, most times you won't hear about it, but banks have their fingers in a lot of pies, besides, it suites developers to have the banks on side, as the costs are much lower as the banks are funding around 50% of the partnership if you get my drift.

Also greed, some that have too much money think they can make money when the market is down, only to lose in the long run, but it's a risk that can pay good dividends if the market turns upwards.

There could be a thousand scenario's, but anyone with half a brain knows when not to buy.

Archived