Pattaya in crisis: Meeting held to discuss what to do about speedboats on the beach

webfact

Whatever the solution is, it will require enforcement by the authorities...hence the solution will fail. It is the fundamental problem in Thailand, if there is money to be made by speedboat owners, no amount of emergency meetings will stop them from polluting and ruining the beaches.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

Just like Baht busses - might there just be too many of them

How about limiting the numbers to a level that the current infrastructure can cope with

Songtaews, Passenger Vans, Taxis, Speedboats, of everything there is too much and are too many,  opening the possibilities for criminal interests.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Had the slightest bit of intelligence been present in the previous meetings, they would have calculated how many boats per day were in operation, and made the Bali Hai facility capable of dealing with all of it, plus some redundancy for further expansion. They are now facing issues, purely as a result of their lack of proper planning and foresight.

PPP = PPP

P!ss Poor Planning, will always equal P!ss Poor performance.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Had the slightest bit of intelligence been present in the previous meetings, they would have calculated how many boats per day were in operation, and made the Bali Hai facility capable of dealing with all of it, plus some redundancy for further expansion. They are now facing issues, purely as a result of their lack of proper planning and foresight.

You ask too much. Forward planning? Surely you jest.????

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This means 10,000 people a day are boarding vessels at the beach - there is a complete lack of safety and traffic in the area is dire. 

That many people everyday suggests the improvements made seriously under estimated the numbers or it's operating at over capacity and needs to be cut back to limit numbers. At the moment it seems to be a fee-for-all at the beach.

5 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I am a licensed Captain by U S Coast Guard and was wondering........does Thailand have a requirement to be licensed.

I have seen numerous stories of these boats involved in many accidents and some with fatalities.

In USA if you even ONE paying passenger you must be licensed with at least the minimal 6 OUPV License, that allows you to have up to 6 passengers.

Then they go up from there:

100 Ton

200 Ton

500 Ton

and up to Unlimited Master of the Ocean that qualifies you to operate any ship.

I have been on a few of these Speedboats in my 14 yrs and it appears there is no licensing requirements.

Maybe there is a requirement, maybe there isn't. But whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

No assessment of requirements or any forward planning is just part of the culture. Like the new airport in Bangkok. Meant to replace the old one and was immediately inadequate, so they had to re-open the old one again. And now that is over-capacity, while the old domestic terminal there remains unused. But what do you expect when so many people here have the mind of a 14-year-old.

They had the solution a few years back. The new marina near Bali Hai that went belly-up would have been a good spot already built. Move the busses along toward the lighhouse. There was even space for parking on the other side of the road. Each slip could have a large visable number above it and the tour group would be told to go to slip ___. Problem solved....now pay me.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3685/13753242724_caff74d5cb_o.jpg 

Regrettably Pattaya has become a toilet. Tourist will eventually figure this out and stop coming. Then the healing of the environment can begin. Perhaps in time the local leaders will realize there is more to increasing tourist revenue than a quick money grab and learn to manage the resources so a long term benefit for both those in tourist industry and the tourist themselves will result.

17 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I am a licensed Captain by U S Coast Guard and was wondering........does Thailand have a requirement to be licensed.

I have seen numerous stories of these boats involved in many accidents and some with fatalities.

In USA if you even ONE paying passenger you must be licensed with at least the minimal 6 OUPV License, that allows you to have up to 6 passengers.

100 Ton

200 Ton

500 Ton

I have been on a few of these Speedboats in my 14 yrs and it appears there is no licensing requirements.

Or brains to go with them Captain! ????

12 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That many people everyday suggests the improvements made seriously under estimated the numbers or it's operating at over capacity and needs to be cut back to limit numbers. At the moment it seems to be a fee-for-all at the beach.

At 10,000 people a day that equates to approx. 1,000 boats belching out fumes, smoke and dirty garbage, more like P.P.P. Piss Poor Planning and lack of Balls by local government officials sorry a slip of the fingers I meant Numpties to enforce their own RULES.

15 hours ago, Tony M said:

We already have speeedboats picking up passengers on Jomtien Beach.  I did complain to City Hall about a year or so back, but they never replied (why am I not surprised ?).

I complained to the Dusit management a few years ago about the speedboats that were picking up the hang-glider customers close to their bedroom windows, they were revving their engines hard to get up onto the sand and off again with Chinese passengers, it all seemed to start soon after sunrise. 

These guys are able to do as they please. 

On 5/16/2019 at 12:07 PM, Captain 776 said:

100 Ton

200 Ton

500 Ton

What license, this is Thailand  :whistling:

On 5/16/2019 at 12:07 PM, Captain 776 said:

100 Ton

200 Ton

500 Ton

Huh?

On 5/16/2019 at 11:44 AM, smedly said:

Just like Baht busses - might there just be too many of them

How about limiting the numbers to a level that the current infrastructure can cope with

Please don't mess with the Baht buses. They've already tried that. Another major cockup.

Archived