Non-immigrant visa 0 / A INSURANCE

One would first have to do statistics on unpaid hospital bills and unpaid outpatient treatment on the
32 million tourists who come to Thailand each year.
And how many are in possession of insurance. 
And all the hospital if you go to the hospital never ask you which kind of visa you have.
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

It could also purchased at a desk upon arrival or done online - right from the arrival-hall if desired - allowing most to avoid a separate line. 

But, I am referring to the minimal "stabilize and repatriate" variety - not some plan with "outpatient," etc - and likely not covering this or that "pre existing condition" and such - which would leave Thai hospitals potentially vulnerable. 

An actuarial calculation could determine what is needed for this minimal coverage - a single rate per mo of permitted-stay (or 1/2 mo) - which would be applicable to all. 

• Like 1

the whole ting is a racket...no common sense in thai decisions...just look at immigration laws, they cannot consistently enforce the laws because one, they don't know/understand them ALL; 2, it depends on their mood.  So go figure.  They will do what they want to do, and we will respond accordingly.  If staying here works then stay and pay all your money.  If not, then not!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

I believe it is quit clear which foreigners use government hospitals and fail to pay, but imposing an insurance requirement for all tourists would reduce the number of Indian and Chinese tourists. That would be hard for the government to accept. Then there is the issue of Visa exempts and how to regulate a requirement for insurance. That leaves the captive group, those that apply for a long term visa. Illogical but totally Thai in thinking.

Then of course there's the numerous politicians and their many wives and lovers and siblings, aunts uncles, cousins, brothers, sisters, hangeroners and the list goes on all the way down to the sick Buffalo who don't pay an brass razoo for medical treatment, but no it's the poor old expat who is contributing in some way who cops the blame, can't be a Thai, Thai would never not pay B.S.  

16 minutes ago, onera1961 said:
45 minutes ago, baansgr said:

its the 38 million longstayers on OA visas doing a runner.....

39 million long-stayers in Thailand? Are you kidding me?

It was right there on the front page of The Nation yesterday. Well over half the total population of Thailand. 

9 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

I believe it is quit clear which foreigners use government hospitals and fail to pay, but imposing an insurance requirement for all tourists would reduce the number of Indian and Chinese tourists. That would be hard for the government to accept. Then there is the issue of Visa exempts and how to regulate a requirement for insurance. That leaves the captive group, those that apply for a long term visa. Illogical but totally Thai in thinking.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Old folks get sick too, but many times would receive a quick treatment for acute-conditions, then could be sent home if they do not have their own insurance or funds for longer-term care in Thailand.

Last time I visited a friend in ICU it was full of old folks! The hospitals seem prepared to go ahead with treatment without payment and often without any signs of insurance. The margins on those that do pay are very high and to be honest, I wonder how bad this unpaid debts claim from the hospitals is. I am confident they make it up somewhere else, and then some. 

Recently asked for a quote for two outpatient treatment, each dose of the drug was priced at >45000 baht more than I understand it would cost in the UK! Do they tax imported drugs (like cars perhaps). The stopper for getting it done in TH, was that I'm not resident here, and could not arrange medical complications insurance.....

I looked at the 3 plans offered by the Thai insurance companies a few months ago (for O-X), one of the APPL. forms seemed to have a condition that you must be resident in Thailand more than 180days, can't predict that at the moment! As well as the coverage issues....

Need an international policy with 40k out patients and 40k out patients excess or bond, with a small fee for putting it on the policy perhaps...

Can't see a comfortable transient way to go from unlimited 90day trip Platinum cover for millions, plus self funding, to the likes of the proposal noted for the O-A visa...plus self funding.

Perhaps you can tell my confidence in health insurance paying out is not robust!

Just now, UKresonant said:

Do they tax imported drugs (like cars perhaps). The stopper for getting it done in TH, was that I'm not resident here, and could not arrange medical complications insurance.....

It might be that it is well subsidized by the NHS, rather than being heavily taxed in Thailand. 

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Last time I visited a friend in ICU it was full of old folks! The hospitals seem prepared to go ahead with treatment without payment and often without any signs of insurance. The margins on those that do pay are very high and to be honest, I wonder how bad this unpaid debts claim from the hospitals is. I am confident they make it up somewhere else, and then some. 

It would be hard to know if they were or were-not paying - though I assume emergency-treatment would be provided without (same as in most any country).

In any case, using my solution, the ones you saw would be part of the sample of all foreigners in Thailand who had the worst conditions.  Most would never use the insurance, and those that did only for brief treatment (set/cast a broken leg, etc).

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've just had a life threatening illness, 3 emergency visits to Thai government hospital (so I didn't die), 2 follow on visits.

Total hospital costs, 1,500bht, total pharmacy costs for extra meds the hospital couldn't provide 2,000bht.

Chances are I'm cured, but after the first visit I could have flown back to the UK (free), or Goa (60k) for an operation.

Not sure why I would ever need 40k outpatient cover, suspect its designed to force you into buying scam Thai insurance policies.

My wife also received very good care in a govt-hospital.  The nurses were watching her condition constantly.  I paid for the private room.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's clear the government doesn't want us living here commenting on their democracy and human rights abuses.

We see things and talk about thing with the locals, that tourists don't, and we are spreading discontent.

I don't spread discontent with the locals - ever - and would not recommend this.  In any case, we have "democracy" in my passport-country, yet the govt is constantly helping the corporations make citizens poorer by literally replacing us - a big human-rights violation, in my view. 

My wife knows immigration here is not on the level, but that would not surprise most Thais who have farang relatives.  I would guess the locals have their similar "brown envelope" issues with bureaucratic elements, though this is not discussed in my presence. 

If I have to take a local politico as a witness for an extension here (when/if Non-O-ME Visas go away), I suspect I will be told a "Just how it is here," story - while preparing an envelope for him to pass, to get the application accepted w/o issues.

• Like 1

The government hospital in my town doesn't accept insurance. If your not Thai it's cash only. I have insurance with a well known Thai insurance company and they won't accept it. I am not sure if the larger government hospital in Roi Et does or not.