65 day stay, 60 day tourist visa help.

Hi all, 

I'm posting here because I booked my trip to Thailand before fully vetting the Thai tourist visa process and now I'm a bit concerned as to what to do/what will happen with Thai immigration.  I plan on staying the Bangkok area pretty much the entire time, with a short trip north to see some friends in Chiang Mai. I booked my tickets for 65 days, not realizing the 60 day limit for tourist visas. For some reason I thought you could apply for a tourist visa while in Thailand, and add that to the 30 exempt stamp you get when you enter the country.  It seems that's not exactly how it works.  I know that I can get a 30 day visa extension while there, but will the initial 65 day ticket cause issues with Thai immigration? I wouldn't want to be refused boarding. And, I don't want to have to fork out extra money to change my tickets/entire travel plans if I don't have to. Any help that you all could give would be appreciated. 

Edited by devon asmus

A "Tourist Visa" obtained from a Thai consulate offers 60 days.  If you are entering with one of these, you can extend it at immigration for another 30 days.  But, I think your plan is to enter Visa-Exempt.

Visa Exempt (no Visa before hand) requires having a ticket-out within 30 days.  Usually it is the airline who demands it, not immigration - though either can.   You could buy a "throw away" ticket cheap - Hat Yai to Kuala Lumpur or something - to get around that issue.

You will get 30 days "visa-exempt" (no visa) upon entry.  You can extend this in-country for 30 more days.  That still will not cover your 65 days, but you can go to immigration and ask for another extension, which will be denied, but they will give you 7 more days.  Each extension will cost 1900 Baht, including the "denied" 7-day extension.

As you will be interacting with immigration, be sure where ever you stay files a "TM-30" (reporting a foreigner) for you, or immigration in some areas, on some days, will refuse to issue an extension and/or demand payment of a fine.  This should be automatic at any decent hotel - but possibly not some guesthouses or condo rentals.

Edited by JackThompson