O-A extension

Your choice is to go home after you get the maximum 2 years out of it, and get a new one, or get an Extension of one year on the Permission of Stay in Thailand at immigration. You can't actually get a new Visa in Thailand.

The reason for the Extension is important, you must qualify based on some requirements. Mostly it is 'retirement' for over 50s, you have to prove money in a Thai bank or income to Thailand, or Marriage (to a Thai), where financial requirements are about 50% less. 

Edited by jacko45k

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

How have you proven your address? 

In my case I went to my embassy (USA) filled out a form and raised my right hand to swear to it. Not sure how many embassies provide that service.

• Thanks 1

As usual, there is a lot of "knowers" in here. So let me tell you this. I have been living in Thailand since late 2014 on an O-A. I have never left the country. I have because, of where I lived at the time, used three different IO:s, two of them, close to each other, the third 500 kilometers away. Never any problems on any of them. You do not have to have 800 or 400 K on a bank account, that is for those with an O-visa. However, as it looks right now, you in the future need to have an insurance that covers up to 400 K baht. That's it.

1 minute ago, Parsve said:

As usual, there is a lot of "knowers" in here. So let me tell you this. I have been living in Thailand since late 2014 on an O-A. I have never left the country. I have because, of where I lived at the time, used three different IO:s, two of them, close to each other, the third 500 kilometers away. Never any problems on any of them. You do not have to have 800 or 400 K on a bank account, that is for those with an O-visa. However, as it looks right now, you in the future need to have an insurance that covers up to 400 K baht. That's it.

So you've obviously been getting annual retirement extensions in Thailand. So you started with an O-A. Applying for retirement extensions in Thailand would have been EXACTLY the same process if you had started with an O. So you don't need 800K in your bank account. So you've obviously been using either the income method or the combo method.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

So you've obviously been getting annual retirement extensions in Thailand. So you started with an O-A. Applying for retirement extensions in Thailand would have been EXACTLY the same process if you had started with an O. So you don't need 800K in your bank account. So you've obviously been using either the income method or the combo method.

39 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Parsve, for your extensions, what did you show the IOs with regard to financial information?

Wrong, the new rules from March 1, 2019 states that with an "O-visa" (1 year retirement visa) you have to have 800 K baht on a Thai bank account for at least 5 month in a raw and never less than the half over the year (if your married to a Thai the amount are to be halfed). For the extension, one time a year, I have used the income method.

4 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Wrong, the new rules from March 1, 2019 states that with an "O-visa" (1 year retirement visa) you have to have 800 K baht on a Thai bank account for at least 5 month in a raw and never less than the half over the year (if your married to a Thai the amount are to be halfed). For the extension, one time a year, I have used the income method.

HUH?!?

What is wrong exactly? 

I assumed you have been using the income method for extensions. I was correct, not wrong.

If you wish to continue to get extensions based on INCOME, the bank method requirements are totally irrelevant to you or anyone else applying based on INCOME only. Also it's irrelevant if you started with an O or O-A -- the extension rules are 100 percent the SAME.

To add if you're one of the unlucky ones from a nation that has a non-performing embassy as far as income letters going forward, then if you want to continue using the income method, you must follow the MONTHLY IMPORT rules for such income applications when you can't get an embassy letter. In that sense the income method has changed for those people. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

This is the latest version of the TM.7 used to request an Extension of Temporary Stay.

You shall check with the local immigration office exactly what they demand of documentation for extension of stay in the Kingdom, there are quite some differences from province-to-province.

The quoted list is extremely simple compared to what many offices request, which might include health certificate; and various maps to one's place of lresidence, both Google Earth and hand drawn maps; and documentation of same in form of rental contract, copies of landlord's house book and ID-card, or one's yellow house book; copy of all pages in passport, and that all photocopies shall be in portrait format; documentation of TM30 notification; etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kerryd said:

This is the latest version of the TM.7 used to request an Extension of Temporary Stay. TM.7 Extension of Stay form.pdf

I copied the text below from the post I made last year when I did my last Extension. This was at the Jomtien Immigration Office and for an Extension based on "Retirement". If you are using a different Immigration Office, extending based on "Marriage" or using a different method to prove your financials, then you may/will have to provide other documentation.
If you are using the "money in bank" method, at Jomtien, they expect the Bank Letter and Passbook update to be no more than a day old unless you are there first thing Monday morning (or the morning after a holiday). (So if you get the letter and update your passbook on Friday and show up at Immigration Monday morning you should be OK. If you do it on a Friday and don't go to Immigration until the following Friday, they may tell you to redo it.)

Note: Paperwork required for Extension of Stay renewal (as well as your passport obviously):

1. TM.7 completed and signed, with passport photo attached (include phone number by your signature).
  2. Bank letter (sufficient funds) as well as photocopies of the updated bank book page (if you are using the "money in bank" method) and the page showing your name/account number - so they know it's actually your account). (Bring the passbook with you "just in case".)
  3. Photocopies of - Face Page of Passport, page showing transfer of Visa from old passport (if applicable), page showing current Extension of Stay stamp (if applicable), page showing last entry stamp into Thailand. (Include page showing current Visa stamp if applicable.)
  4. Photocopy of Departure Card.
  5. Photocopy of THAI driver's licence (front and back) OR photocopies of recent utility bills that have your name/address on them  (I had both, just in case, and they kept both). 
  6. Plus the 1,900 baht of course and that's it !

(Sign ALL photocopies of course - can be done ahead of time as they don't seem to need to see you sign them.

If you've done a TM.30, make a photocopy of that as well. Jomtien doesn't require it for those renewing an Extension, but they may want to see it if it's the first time doing it. If you are using a different Immigration office they may want to see it regardless.
If you are using something different than the "money in bank" method then you would of course have to provide evidence of that (i.e. monthly deposits or income letter from your embassy).

Keep in mind that every Immigration office can be a little different so your experience may/will vary depending where you go. Personally, I try to avoid going on Mondays/Fridays or the day after a holiday. Shower, dress neatly and act politely. Have all your paperwork in order and ready to go before you get to the IO's desk. Be prepared in case they ask for additional paperwork.

It's not really that difficult to do. I've timed it before and it took me an hour and 10 minutes over 2 days (including time spent waiting) and that included getting the Multi Re-entry permit as well. (In Jomtien, even if you are the first customer of the day, you have to return the next day to pick up your passport and after that you can get the Re-Entry permit - if you want one.)

The Extension is 1,900 baht and a Multi Re-entry permit is 3,800. If you want just a Single Re-entry permit, it's 1,000 baht. 

Note: if you have an Extension and you leave the country, for any reason, and you don't have a Re-entry permit, your visa/extension will be voided and you would have to start all over again as though you never had a visa before.

But ! You don't have to get a Re-entry permit and if you do plan on leaving the country you can purchase a Single Re-Entry permit before you go.

Perfect Kerry. Very nicely written and understandable.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

How have you proven your address?

For many years when you had to actually provide some proof of your address when doing a 90 day report, I never was asked to provide proof of address when doing the extension.

Since doing the 90 day report no longer requires proof of address (unless they look for a TM.30), I bring along a copy of some utility bill. They keep it. Don't know if they'd ask if I didn't hand it over to begin with. If you've got a TM.30 (or is it 28?) stapled in your passport, maybe that would be sufficient.

33 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Note: Paperwork required for Extension of Stay renewal (as well as your passport obviously):

1. TM.7 completed and signed, with passport photo attached (include phone number by your signature).

The TM7 is two pages -- do you need to put the second page on the back of the first -- or will two pieces of paper suffice?

Just now, JimGant said:

The TM7 is two pages -- do you need to put the second page on the back of the first -- or will two pieces of paper suffice?

It needs to be printed 2 sided or immigration can reject it and tell you complete another one.

54 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Perfect Kerry. Very nicely written and understandable.

Maybe perfect for his own case, but keep in mind that not everyone need to show a bank book (but Embassy Letter) or a proof of address. Depends of Who and Where. Agree nicely written BTW.

Edited by Pattaya46

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:59 AM, jacko45k said:

Your choice is to go home after you get the maximum 2 years out of it, and get a new one, or get an Extension of one year on the Permission of Stay in Thailand at immigration. You can't actually get a new Visa in Thailand.

The reason for the Extension is important, you must qualify based on some requirements. Mostly it is 'retirement' for over 50s, you have to prove money in a Thai bank or income to Thailand, or Marriage (to a Thai), where financial requirements are about 50% less. 

Never have been able to understand the Thai logic as to why farangs on marriage visas/extensions need 50% less money than a single person. They have a wife to support, quite possibly kids too. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's Thai logic isn't it, it's completely non-sensical.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Never have been able to understand the Thai logic as to why farangs on marriage visas/extensions need 50% less money than a single person. They have a wife to support, quite possibly kids too. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's Thai logic isn't it, it's completely non-sensical.

What is the logic to keep having to prove you're still married every few months, and only being given 12 months at a time? There is none

• Like 2