Expat life in Phang Nga - what's it like?

loudredthings

I might be accepting a job in the area and I am curious what life is like for any expats that live there. Specifically, is it possible to get western foods, what are transport links like, what are the numbers of expats in the area, how good is the accommodation etc. Thanks in advance! 

It depends on the area where you are going to live. The area of Natai and Kokloy , which is close to Phuket,has some farang presence, French, British and Dutch. Several big estates belong to the Russians. The area further north from Phuket, particularly Khao Lak, has a little German community and several Scandinavian families live there most of the year. Very few farang people live in Phang Nga Town and the area around. It’s advisable to speak Thai to survive there.
Western foods can be a problem in the inland areas. We cook. There is almost no apartments or condos, farang ppl live in houses in Phang Nga.

Very boring and expensive, also very wet in certain areas in low season. No decent schools and western food supply is limited.

Simply said: think twice if you wanna have a life.

An indication of your age, marital status, nationality and whereabouts in Phang Nga your job offer is based would make it easier for people to give you better info.

I live in Natai/Khok Kloi and the expat life is very quiet, no "night life" to speak of.  Phuket and Pattaya are the hubs of farangs.  In the Khok Kloi/Thai Muang area there are a few British, Canadian, Aussie, American, Dutch, French, German and Swiss that I know, mostly over 50 and the majority are men with Thai wives/girlfriends.  

Archived