Illegal hotel operators in Hua Hin warned to register within 30 days

webfact

Illegal hotel operators in Hua Hin warned to register within 30 days

By The Nation

hh.jpg

FILE photo

Some 170 illegal hotel and resort operators in Hua Hin have been warned to register and obtain licences within a month or they could face jail or a fine.

Thanon Phanpipas, Hua Hin district chief, said the operators of unlicensed hotels and resorts must register within a month from May 16 or they would face a maximum jail term of one year and a maximum fine of Bt20,000 plus a daily maximum fine of Bt10,000.

Thanon said he has been informed that owners of some 170 houses, pool villas and apartments have been using their premises to provide hotel services without seeking licences.

The district chief said the unregistered services could be substandard and would affect Hua Hin’s reputation as a tourist destination. It could also affect national security as the operators would not report foreigners staying at their places to immigration officials.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369496

thenation_logo.jpg

7 minutes ago, rubik101 said:

nobody likes AirBnB apart from the users and the owners. I wonder why?

Well, 

If you own a house, you should be allowed to rent it how you want. It's not their business. 

If you share a premise with other tenants in a condo or gated community that's of course not the case. 

They should keep out of this and enforce that people pay taxes on ther income instead. 

2 hours ago, madmen said:

How about many of the guest houses and small hotels register first?

From what I've seen of Hua Hin they do actually seem to be quite strict there. It's about the only place in Thailand I have ever stayed in where they always take a photocopy of my ID. They are also very strict about bar closing times and other such rules, at least from what I've seen. So maybe they are equally strict about small guest-houses being registered?

I like Hua Hin and I like the way it seems to be run. I dare say residents will see it from another angle though.

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

From what I've seen of Hua Hin they do actually seem to be quite strict there. It's about the only place in Thailand I have ever stayed in where they always take a photocopy of my ID. They are also very strict about bar closing times and other such rules, at least from what I've seen. So maybe they are equally strict about small guest-houses being registered?

I like Hua Hin and I like the way it seems to be run. I dare say residents will see it from another angle though.

As a Hua Hin resident, I see it the same way. 

18 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Well, 

If you own a house, you should be allowed to rent it how you want. It's not their business. 

If you share a premise with other tenants in a condo or gated community that's of course not the case. 

They should keep out of this and enforce that people pay taxes on ther income instead. 

I disagree, it is unfair competition to hotels. If the house has the same regulations as a hotel then it would be a fair playing ground now it is not. Hotels pay for licences, need certain levels of safety ect. That is just not the case of renting out a house. So renting out a house short time like a hotel should not be allowed. Monthly stuff is different of course.

Its the same as you can't just open a business wherever you want there are rules and zones. 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I disagree, it is unfair competition to hotels. If the house has the same regulations as a hotel then it would be a fair playing ground now it is not. Hotels pay for licences, need certain levels of safety ect. That is just not the case of renting out a house. So renting out a house short time like a hotel should not be allowed. Monthly stuff is different of course.

Its the same as you can't just open a business wherever you want there are rules and zones. 

In theory you are right in Thai reality far from it. For hotel license , premises must have 2 stair cases but for rooms for rent ( 30 days rentals) not required. 

Hotel must be certain distance from

the road and other buildings but room for rent not required .

hotel must have parking space , room for rent not required.

so who is more likely to have a vehicle ? 1-10 day tourist or someone who lived perm.

its ok for someone to burn if staying for 30 days as oppose to someone staying for 3 days?

the whole Thai licenses rules are completely and utterly illogical 

19 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Actually it does become their business when you change the use of your premises from your residence to rental and don't apply for the correct operating licence & follow the daily procedure for reporting occupants!

That's all regulated in the hotel act.

It excludes small houses with less than 5 rooms and 20 sleeps.

They are still going after them, they are still ignoring their own laws just to <deleted> with these people.

How can a house even have the same regulation, it's a house not a hotel.
It's a completely different thing.

There's no service, no food, you just live like a local in someone's elses flat.
And yes a hotel needs to hire some slave workers from myanmar todo the laundry, in an airbnb you just do it yourself.

It's not the same to stay in a manhatten hotel compared to staying in someone's flat in Brooklyn when exploring NYC.
2 completely different experiences.
There's nothing wrong to rent a seaview villa on ibiza north with your friends for 2 weeks instead of staying in a chicken box on playa den bossa where it's loud without any privacy.

Most countries don't care about any of these and hotels there are doing fine.

You have to pay taxes too on the income.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I just wonder how many have tried to register but their applications were refused because the applications were not submitted with the required thick brown envelope accompaniment. :coffee1:

Actually it does become their business when you change the use of your premises from your residence to rental and don't apply for the correct operating licence & follow the daily procedure for reporting occupants!

Lol?

If they rent 29 days or 31 days, i have to report them anyway, what's the difference?

One is legal, the other isn't.

Why don't they go after all these thai landlords in bangkok that never report their tenants instead.

Well all know why.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

My guess most wont register as they know their places would not meet the standard regulations required (Fire)

No such thing as fire retardant materials and fire escapes 

Not only fire, but they say register, register where? And as what?

do they mean apply for hotel license ? As I said 2-3 years to receive and in most cases will not be granted unless building permit initially was for hotel

Generally I have quite libertarian views, but I don't blame, say a small guesthouse or bungalow operator who went through all the right steps to open their business, from being pissed about people undercutting their businesses. Nuff said.

Question….how can and is it legal that many (most) of the big property chains sell some condo's which often are rented out again by the buyer of said condo plus you have well known rental companies renting out (short term/long time) condo's in the same building and very often its also easy to book condo's from famous online hotel booking sites. Can really a condo chain like for example Sa...….ri sell to people who intend to live out their golden years at the place and at the same time allow some condo's to be rented out pr. day by travel agencies and some rented out short /long time by private owners. How can this be legal...….logically a condominium should either be just that, or a hotel.....?

33 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Generally I have quite libertarian views, but I don't blame, say a small guesthouse or bungalow operator who went through all the right steps to open their business, from being pissed about people undercutting their businesses. Nuff said.

And if you had any clue on the subject ,you would have known guesthouses and smaller hotels are also “illegal” as they do not have hotel license 

11 minutes ago, BestB said:

And if you had any clue on the subject ,you would have known guesthouses and smaller hotels are also “illegal” as they do not have hotel license 

Do they have staff they have to pay? Do they have insurance (my Brit friend owns a small bungalow resort, don't know if he has a license, but I know he has insurance and staff to pay)?

3 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Do they have staff they have to pay? Do they have insurance (my Brit friend owns a small bungalow resort, don't know if he has a license, but I know he has insurance and staff to pay)?

Insurance is not compulsory and paying staff is just as irrelevant when it comes to hotel license ????

9 minutes ago, BestB said:

Insurance is not compulsory and paying staff is just as irrelevant when it comes to hotel license ????

You are right there, but I was also commenting on the general topic of people renting out their units "as hotel rooms" and undercutting regular businesses. Now, in your initial comment to my first post you could have just said that I was mistaken in that licenses aren't required for guesthouses, but you chose a rather nasty "if you had a clue", which is not at all constructive. Maybe you haven't had your morning coffee yet.

18 minutes ago, nickstav said:

You are right there, but I was also commenting on the general topic of people renting out their units "as hotel rooms" and undercutting regular businesses. Now, in your initial comment to my first post you could have just said that I was mistaken in that licenses aren't required for guesthouses, but you chose a rather nasty "if you had a clue", which is not at all constructive. Maybe you haven't had your morning coffee yet.

Or maybe you should not make assertive statements on the matters you not competent or have any knowledge about?

13 minutes ago, BestB said:

Or maybe you should not make assertive statements on the matters you not competent or have any knowledge about?

"you not competent"....you don't seem to be competent in the English language. It should be "you're not competent", a conjunction of the words you are. Let's just drop it brother. I have better things to do, as I'm sure you do also. Peace.

Archived