Is Thailand still worth it for Aussies?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, zaZa9 said:

This is where I get a bit muddled - and am never sure "which is better".

So many comparisons and possibilities with shifting X rates and bank interest returns from different banks/account types ..

I locked in money in 2009  for 5 years in Aus in a fixed interest account and got 6%. Then , after 2014  , I got about 3% sliding downwards to now ( maybe 1.75% ?) . In comparison , my K Bank here has  given me 0% . ( It still wants to .. 55)

Im no accountant , and the compound interest maths is beyond my feeble abilities , but Im hazarding a guess that your 800k ( $25k aud )  placed in my Aus bank in 2011 , would still be worth  about the same  , or even more than what 800k costs in Aus Dollars today  ( around $36k aud ).

Agreed.

Who knows what it may be worth if left in an Aussie bank. My point was, that it's not completely dead money in the Thai bank, it has appreciated in value if I were to repatriate it. I have no plans to do so, and in reality just regard it as my ticket price for a (hopefully) permanent stay in Thailand.  I don't need it to live on but, still own the principal if the sh... hits the fan here, else my heirs will get to spend it eventually.

i think thailand is great, i was lucky and sold up and moved 80% of my money at better than 28 bart, bought and built before every thing went up and the aus dollar went down, there is no way i could do what i have done now,  3 tractors, my accomplience makes about 300k from her farm each year and with  my pension we are looking good, no gambling and bloody pokies is a god send for me as aus is so boring ,there was nothing else to do, now i have the farm and my accomplience to play with, it is a great life out in the sticks, no way i will ever go back, never had any trouble with the cost of medical  here, two new hips, only 800k, at the kings hospital bangkok, was in the government hospital for  here two weeks in a private room and small op, 40k and regular check ups at a private hospital, 1000 bart every time, i really do not want or need to return !

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its still basically cheaper here than Australia but more and more things are ending up around the same price or even more expensive. 

The crappy exchange is one thing but the way prices are going up here adds as well.

Everything is going up, groceries, meals out, street food. Not small increases, 20-30%, something is 20 baht one day and 25 baht the next. 200 baht one day 250 the next.

First off.....I am not bashing Aussies, great country.....nice people, I have lived and worked in Oz 3 times but the cost of living and tax rate is beyond absurd.

2.50 for one 300 ml Coke and that is if u can even find one at that price.....which is RARE.

Get the same 300 ml Coke with your Subway sandwich and that Coke is 3.95.

2 people for bacon n eggs is 50 Bucks and that isnt at a hotel dining room, thats a Mom n Pop on the side of the road in Gladstone.........lunch is the same 50 for 2 and dinner is 100 and ya have to get your food n drinks yourself because the minimum wage is so high, they cant afford wait staff.

Pretty much throw a dart at a world map,it will be cheaper than Oz.

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

Agreed.

Who knows what it may be worth if left in an Aussie bank. My point was, that it's not completely dead money in the Thai bank, it has appreciated in value if I were to repatriate it. I have no plans to do so, and in reality just regard it as my ticket price for a (hopefully) permanent stay in Thailand.  I don't need it to live on but, still own the principal if the sh... hits the fan here, else my heirs will get to spend it eventually.

And I agree with that.

For me its a little like  next having to put the 400k into a Thai bank forever.

Its part of the current price to stay here.

By itself , its no biggy.

But I have this feeling that,  'its not over' , and there will be more.

( And one day my beneficiaries may be saying , "Dad , why didnt you know to pull out of that sh..hole when the writing was on the wall ? " 555 )

I guess the government  have already added to my 'its not over' feeling  with the Insurance Edict.

I already have good insurance , so dont disagree ( but will have to change its coverage format ).

What is unsettling to me ,  and this cant be quantified in baht , is the way Laws are passed down here.

Maybe I should have said , "Thrown Down ".
Laws are announced one day and said to be  implemented the next ,  without any sort of effort to allow for lead in time or fully educate the public , and you'd have to be clairvoyant to have the approved Insurance Policy already , or to have known what money to have had where by this months Retirement Extension.

Theres another reason I would no longer  recommend Retirement here to a fellow Australian and its not about baht at all.

Its that in the last year ( been here since 2008 ) , I have developed this feeling that we long staying farang are being obssesed about somewhere up high , and things will only keep getting harder for us when it comes to Thai Law.

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

I am surprised any Aussie wants to live here, Wine at $50 a bottle, ladies at 4000 baht, 800k required in the bank and now 100k a year medical insurance required. If i didn't already have a property i would never come.

I moved here last Nov on an OA Visa and There is no requirement for 800k in a Thai bank account. You do need proof of it in an OZ bank at the time of application. For me, also no health insurance requirement. I will need it if I decide to renew the visa back home. But I can stay in Thailand for close to 23/24 months on my current visa. So, as I have been advised, this could be why new OA visa applicants need HI. ( because no money required over in Thailand). In addition, I have taken out HI anyway, which covers the 400/40 requirements and cost me $52k not 100k as you mentioned. BTW I am 61. Totally agree about the price of wine....so drink beer??

but I really d t know what I will decide to do after the visa runs out. Either go back to OZ or apply for a Extension of Stay stamp.

cheers ????

19 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Agreed.

I will agree with what you said as well. If I just relied on my capital and had no pension, I do have enough funds to see me out in Thailand. I am lucky enough that I have a decent inheritance coming to me (most my money is tied up with my parents company) and hence the reason why I need to think carefully about where I want to retire too. I will have more than enough for Thailand but with the way the Junta is playing around with things, I feel things have changed. If I was given the scope like my wife has for PR, even with the massive swings in fx rates, I would most likely sell up in Chiang Mai and move to a beach in Thailand. I just feel things have changed and I use to gloss over disparities I saw in things but now the older I get, I just want to be left alone on a beach and live my life out in peace with no threats from any government organization.

I think with Thai Immigration's every changing ridiculous requirements for western retirees in general, it is fast becoming a country to avoid.  When you view Thailands current political situation, life for western retirees is quickly changing for the worst. ????

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Speaking of avocados.........can buy one here in Big C for 99 baht, yet back in NZ the prices are between $10 and $12 each (207 to 248 baht each)!!

Won't be moving back for the avos!

Those are the prices when they are out of season at an expensive greengrocer's in the middle of the most expensive city.

Avos are currently out of season in New Zealand, but you can still find them in the some local greengrocer's here at $3.20 each, or about 70 baht. It's not a terrible price for avocados out of season.

In season, large-sized avocados run around $1 at cheapest - $2 per piece = about 21 - 42 baht. These NZ-grown avocados are infinitely better than Thai avocados which, let me be "polite" here, no-one in Australia or New Zealand would buy because they simply don't compare to avocados grown down under.  * In Thailand, for some strange reason New Zealand exports many of the small size of avocado that sell for about $3 for a bag of 5 in NZ, or in Thai money around 12 or 13 baht each.

So your $10+ avocados in New Zealand is, technically, true (but for a very short time only). It's not the norm at all. But hey, if it makes you feel good about living in Thailand, keep telling that story.

7 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

I moved here last Nov on an OA Visa and There is no requirement for 800k in a Thai bank account. You do need proof of it in an OZ bank at the time of application. For me, also no health insurance requirement. I will need it if I decide to renew the visa back home. But I can stay in Thailand for close to 23/24 months on my current visa. So, as I have been advised, this could be why new OA visa applicants need HI. ( because no money required over in Thailand). In addition, I have taken out HI anyway, which covers the 400/40 requirements and cost me $52k not 100k as you mentioned. BTW I am 61. Totally agree about the price of wine....so drink beer??

but I really d t know what I will decide to do after the visa runs out. Either go back to OZ or apply for a Extension of Stay stamp.

cheers ????

LOLOL 4000 bhat?

I am sure ya can still get the whole package fine and all for 1000 anywhere in Pattaya, especially in May.

1 minute ago, mstevens said:

Those prices are the price when they are out of season at an expensive greengrocer's in the middle of the most expensive city.

Avos are out of season now in New Zealand, but you can still get them in the local greengrocer's here at $3.20 each, or about 70 baht.

In season, large-sized avocados run around $1 at cheapest - $2 per piece = about 21 - 42 baht. These NZ-grown avocados are infinitely better than Thai avocados which, let me "polite" in saying, no-one would buy in Australia or New Zealand. And they are much, much bigger than the NZ avocados you get in Thailand where it seems for some strange reason New Zealand exports the small size. *And small-sized avocados in NZ in season run around $3 for a bag of 5, or in Thai money around 12 or 13 baht each.

So your $10+ avocados in New Zealand is, technically, true (but for a very short time only). It's not the norm at all. But hey, if it makes you feel good about living in Thailand, keep telling that story.

Yes..that's the puzzling thing here.

They all quote the highest prices that they can find, then serve up a photo of a few scraggly vegies, then stoop for a quick gasp of air from the air purifier..and into it again.

It's quite bizarre (but fun) really.

11 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

LOLOL 4000 bhat?

I am sure ya can still get the whole package fine and all for 1000 anywhere in Pattaya, especially in May.

Think you may have replied to the wrong message mate?

26 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

First off.....I am not bashing Aussies, great country.....nice people, I have lived and worked in Oz 3 times but the cost of living and tax rate is beyond absurd.

2.50 for one 300 ml Coke and that is if u can even find one at that price.....which is RARE.

Get the same 300 ml Coke with your Subway sandwich and that Coke is 3.95.

2 people for bacon n eggs is 50 Bucks and that isnt at a hotel dining room, thats a Mom n Pop on the side of the road in Gladstone.........lunch is the same 50 for 2 and dinner is 100 and ya have to get your food n drinks yourself because the minimum wage is so high, they cant afford wait staff.

Pretty much throw a dart at a world map,it will be cheaper than Oz.

A big bacon 'n eggs brekky normally costs you between 12-14 dollars (and it's big)

Lunch the other day in a great old pub in rural NSW..

DSCN0559.JPG

DSCN0566.JPG

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

A big bacon 'n eggs brekky normally costs you between 12-14 dollars (and it's big)

How much was the packet of smokes? Nearly the price of the two breakfasts?

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

DSCN0559.JPG

DSCN0566.JPG

traveled across oz with my marketing company and always enjoyed dining in many historic country pubs. i can almost taste the VB???? 

10 minutes ago, madmen said:

traveled across oz with my marketing company and always enjoyed dining in many historic country pubs. i can almost taste the VB???? 

She's Tooheys "new", cobber..????

My mates and I are planning a non PC great Aussie pub crawl-no pub under a 100 years old..

I'm just doing a bit of forward scouting..

I returned from Thailand having lost a leg and with the other one virtually done for.

It has taken 18 months of intensive care and therapy to get me "scouting" again..

So I am extremely grateful to my home country,indeed.

Many Chiang Mai foreigners have plans,or already have, to leave Chiang Mai due to the horrendous polution this last few mths.

Certainly no place for young children to be annually poisoned by the air.

However if you are married to a thai as i am and have purchased a house and are at an advanced age.I'm 76 and with many health problems it not so easy.

To be virtually forced to leave was never in my mind 17 yrs back when the baht was at 26 baht to $A.

We have lived in a modest house for 11 years and in a declining market, due to over supply, to even get our money back

36 minutes ago, mstevens said:

But hey, if it makes you feel good about living in Thailand, keep telling that story.

That's a strange comment as my price comparison was nothing to do with either living in New Zealand or Thailand and the bit about "I wouldn't move back for the avos" was merely in jest!

I can choose wherever I want to live and am not tied to one place or another, and one day I might live in NZ, but for now my friends and Thai "daughter" plus the vibrancy of the place are the main attractions – – not the avocados!

10 hours ago, lipflipper said:

Well there is a bright spot in the continual fall of the Aussie dollar and that's it will cull the Cheap Charlie boozing load mouth Aussies from staying here fulltime. Get a group of those Bogans together in a pub or restaurant and your pleasant quiet time goes out the window. I am hoping to see their dollar go even lower.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Every country has them including yours.

38 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes..that's the puzzling thing here.

They all quote the highest prices that they can find, then serve up a photo of a few scraggly vegies, then stoop for a quick gasp of air from the air purifier..and into it again.

It's quite bizarre (but fun) really.

Well you quoted my post, so I will reply.............I don't know who "they" are, but again my post was a little in jest, however it seems to have created a reaction, not that it was meant to but cést la vie!

I have never posted photos of vegies, so obviously I'm not one of "them" but for the moment I live here because of other reasons I've already posted about, having said that, I do struggle with the air quality here at the moment, and the abject stupidity of the powers that be with regards to everything from immigration rules to proposed health insurance (which I already have) down to the endemic corruption.

It is quite possible that I will move at some time or another, but whether it will be to NZ or Oz, I'm not sure as I may want to try Spain or Portugal for a while, or even find a little village in the south of France where I can enjoy the food and wine, when I am over the lure of the nightlife vibrancy here, and my daughter is older.

Many options to choose from, but for the moment I'm here because I'm here – – vegetables, air purifiers et al!!

I thought of going back , I looked into house prices and they are through the roof .I would have to sell my home here (15 million) but never in a horses fart would I get that, even though that is how much it cost me with furniture.Anyone who thinks they will make money for high end homes here in Chiang Rai even with a view  is dreaming.  If we take a big loss on our home we still could buy a home on Aus. But.... our standard of living would go down. I am 65 so the OAP would be my income . Plus money in bank .We discussed it in great lengths and got alot of advice from a web site called   http://dspoverseas.proboards.com

So we go back 2 times a year and with the thai baht so high it is great for us .

Aussie Aussie Aussie

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

plus the vibrancy of the place

That's about the only thing I miss of Thailand. Australia is a bit slow but instead of going to coffee houses and eating, my wife and I have been switching it up with going to the beach. My wife can nearly swim now and I took her to the waves yesterday on a boggie board and pushed her onto waves. It was great fun. Hard work from me but it keeps my mind active and no chance to go into depressive phases that I suffer severely from.

Coffee shops are expensive but I can still get a pub meal on Wednesdays cheap (rump, chips and salad for $12). Most other places $15-20 a meal that will fill you up. If your into junk food, pizzas start at $6. Beer is expensive but I don't drink or smoke. 

20 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Its making me think. Everything seems to be going up and dollar going down. Ive been here 5 years and monetarilly just been all bad news. I first came here 7 years ago baht at its best about 33 baht. Came to live and baht immediately fell to 27. Just gone downhill from there. The whole time Ive been here I been working on the assumption what goes down must come up. I know our dollar is p$$ poor and not surprised the way the joints been run last 15 years. But Im buggered if I know why the Thai baht has maintained its strength

Why does the Thai Baht remains strong because the government is cooking the books.

I thought of going back , I looked into house prices and they are through the roof .I would have to sell my home here (15 million) but never in a horses fart would I get that, even though that is how much it cost me with furniture.Anyone who thinks they will make money for high end homes here in Chiang Rai even with a view  is dreaming.  If we take a big loss on our home we still could buy a home on Aus. But.... our standard of living would go down. I am 65 so the OAP would be my income . Plus money in bank .We discussed it in great lengths and got alot of advice from a web site called   http://dspoverseas.proboards.com
So we go back 2 times a year and with the thai baht so high it is great for us .
Aussie Aussie Aussie
Damn You're place must be a palace for that price in CR

Sent from my star using Tapatalk

Swings & roundabouts, When I first came to work here (being paid out of Oz) I was getting about

14.8 Bht to the Oz $.

To all the pundits who say Thailand's economy is bad take a look at all the export factories in Rayong, Samut Prakan etc.All busy exporting 

19 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well you quoted my post, so I will reply.............I don't know who "they" are, but again my post was a little in jest, however it seems to have created a reaction, not that it was meant to but cést la vie!

I have never posted photos of vegies, so obviously I'm not one of "them" but for the moment I live here because of other reasons I've already posted about, having said that, I do struggle with the air quality here at the moment, and the abject stupidity of the powers that be with regards to everything from immigration rules to proposed health insurance (which I already have) down to the endemic corruption.

It is quite possible that I will move at some time or another, but whether it will be to NZ or Oz, I'm not sure as I may want to try Spain or Portugal for a while, or even find a little village in the south of France where I can enjoy the food and wine, when I am over the lure of the nightlife vibrancy here, and my daughter is older.

Many options to choose from, but for the moment I'm here because I'm here – – vegetables, air purifiers et al!!

Yep-it's a big world to choose from.

I must say that I loved Portugal.I lived in Tomar and then moved to Ponte de Lima..

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yep-it's a big world to choose from.

I must say that I loved Portugal.I lived in Tomar and then moved to Ponte de Lima..

I'm lucky inasmuch as I have been to many countries and lived in some for a while, but Portugal is not one of them and I have friends here who have been there and say it is quite lovely!

You state that you "loved Portugal" and trying not to get off track too much, what were the main attractions and would you go back again – – in a nutshell as the mods might move it otherwise.

Archived