Is Thailand still worth it for Aussies?

On 5/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, Kenny202 said:

Its making me think. Everything seems to be going up and dollar going down. Ive been here 5 years and monetarilly just been all bad news. I first came here 7 years ago baht at its best about 33 baht. Came to live and baht immediately fell to 27. Just gone downhill from there. The whole time Ive been here I been working on the assumption what goes down must come up. I know our dollar is p$$ poor and not surprised the way the joints been run last 15 years. But Im buggered if I know why the Thai baht has maintained its strength

Nothing really changed in the last 10 years, check below chart.

USD and THB both have been strong, issue is EUR,Aussie Dollar and co are just performing like crap... You will be fine with USD income imo.

7yearusdthb.PNG

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting away from the "friction" that seems to have arisen out of different people's viewpoints, surely the reason for moving from one's home country, let's take Australia in this instance, to a place like Thailand wasn't just because of the cost of living – – was it???

I would suspect that many of the Aussies who came over here did so for a whole myriad of reasons, and the cost of vegetables and the like certainly wouldn't have come into the equation. More likely the nightlife, a relaxed lifestyle, provided you don't get in anyone's face, lots of willing and younger ladies to choose from if that's what you want, or of course meeting someone that you wanted to settle down with – – and if you add on to that the fact that some folk move here to be able to live out in the country and live a peaceful and farming type life, then I don't think there's much more.

I know quite a few Aussies here, and by and large, they moved here for the nightlife and the girls, not to mention those that they shacked up with. The added bonus would be that the cost of living here will make their dollar go further, but I don't think that has been the main driver for the guys that I know.

Talking of property, if they kept their property in their home country, then they are laughing, not only because they could easily move back and the place would be worth a lot more than they could have sold it for when they left, but if they had sold it, they would probably find it was now out of their financial league to be able to own it again, or indeed anything about half the size (I had the same experience in NZ, knowing full well that when I sold my house).

On the other hand I was lucky enough to be able to invest wisely and I can now take my pick of where I want to live and yes it could be Aussie or NZ or wherever, within reason.

And just to get back onto the topic which seemed to have started off a lot of activity – – – I would have to say that the quality of the fruit and vegetables in the Australian supermarkets is way, way above anything you will find here, and perhaps anywhere else in the world I've been, even NZ, but that is catching up now.

Having said that, a friend who visits me here and who lives on the Gold Coast and has been a successful business owner over there, still maintains that everyday food and goods in Australia are expensive, whereas I don't see it that way – – so everyone has a viewpoint and they come at it from different angles!

2 hours ago, madmen said:

me? not talking about me , I bought a big condo 12 years ago lower sukhimvit and love living here. Im talking about most people I know living in a shoe box. Who cares about cars, no farang drives a car where I live.

Well, one would have to be certifiably insane to drive a vehicle in Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Well, one would have to be certifiably insane to drive a vehicle in Bangkok.

I always heard that Bangkok is the safest place to drive a car because you can never go fast enough to have a serious accident. ????

I agree, though. I couldn't imagine trying to drive around in the Big Mango. 

3 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Yeah, I agree, and I'm not even Australian.

Of course you are not Australian. No Australian I know could come up with the attitude you have.

28 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yep-and I'd never buy a used car from a "farang" in Thailand either.

Once bitten twice shy.

Interesting. You've had a bad experience buying a car from a farang. My experience buying two cars from farangs was good. The one car I bought from an Asian..... I don't want to talk about it.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Interesting. You've had a bad experience buying a car from a farang. My experience buying two cars from farangs was good. The one car I bought from an Asian..... I don't want to talk about it.

Umm...you are taking what I said literally.I merely meant to imply that some of the greatest 'farang' story tellers I ever met in my life resided in Thailand.

Fiction was a work of art there.

25 minutes ago, xylophone said:

And just to get back onto the topic which seemed to have started off a lot of activity – – – I would have to say that the quality of the fruit and vegetables in the Australian supermarkets is way, way above anything you will find here, and perhaps anywhere else in the world I've been, even NZ, but that is catching up now.

Sorry, can't agree. IMHO fruit and vegetables in Australian supermarkets are a triumph of visual presentation, completely without flaw. However, when it comes to actually eating them, many are way underripe, the result of being picked early then trundled off to cool stores.

When you find an avocado in an Australian supermarket that doesn't need a jackhammer, please let me know. The same with pineapples in OZ, which compete with vinegar.

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Umm...you are taking what I said literally.I merely meant to imply that some of the greatest 'farang' story tellers I ever met in my life resided in Thailand.

Fiction was a work of art there.

You were talking to the ex-SAS, Foreign Legion and Navy Seals who occupy many bar stools?

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You were talking to the ex-SAS, Foreign Legion and Navy Seals who occupy many bar stools?

Naw..just the average Joe Blow up in Issan.

But..'tis true..the shiny pated,tattooed,wheeler dealers from the big smoke (Bangkok,Pattaya,Chiang Mai) would blow into town and spin a yarn from time to time.

Looking back it was quite enjoyable-like listening to stories from Beau Geste..or Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'

That is why I am finding this thread so enjoyable.They are here.

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

A big bacon 'n eggs brekky normally costs you between 12-14 dollars (and it's big)

Lunch the other day in a great old pub in rural NSW..

DSCN0559.JPG

DSCN0566.JPG

You wouldnt have got much change out $50 for that lunch. Same meal in Thailand maybe 25-30 dollars

How much were the ciggys ?????

2 hours ago, mike787 said:

Investing and math reality 101. 

Invest 800,000 bht at 6% over 15yr with 0 contribution monthly = 1,963,238.04 bht. profit= 1,163,252.19 bht.  Now, I realize you maybe loaded with more cash than the King, or your investing philosophy is "different".  Good for you!!!  Others, may find it insightful/helpful to be informed/aware of the "options" based on their decisions. 

Does that help you understand or NOT?

Where are you coming up with this 6% figure ?? investing in what ?? but you are correct, to me that is small coin.

However, I do see your argument, it could be helpful for others ???? so I'll leave it at that...

Just now, BritManToo said:

Money in a Cambodian USD bank account can pay 8%, they take 14% in tax, leaving you with just under 7% profit.

Just saying.

How safe are your money in Cambodian banks if someone was to put some there and how easy is it for a foreigner to open up an account as a tourist? Any recommendations on Cambodian banks worth looking into?

You wouldnt have got much change out $50 for that lunch. Same meal in Thailand maybe 25-30 dollars   How much were the ciggys ?????  

Yep, meal abt $50.

Ciggys abt $40 a packet.

Accom (old pub) abt $200 a night.

Temperature (Bowral) abt 2 degrees.

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think that is true for many expats, the question of;

Do you still have (own) a house back home?

Once you take out housing, the comparison between Thailand and a basket of countries begins to become a lot more marginal.

Now as an American the USD bounces generally bounces between ฿30-33, so not the massive change AUD has seen.

But I found I was sleepwalking into the increase of living expenses in Thailand over my 10 years 

Sure labor is cheaper, but utilities, cars, eating like a Westerner, thats a lot different, and often more expensive in Thailand

When I finally woke up I realized, I'd actually be better off back home.

I've done real life side by side comparisons, which I get trolled for, but facts are facts.

So you are totally correct, housing is the biggie, take that out, couple it with a crashing AUD....thats a perfect storm! 

Yes..I noticed the frantic trolling when you were posting about your return to the States-even tho' you were very moderate in your views.

I saw the same thing with a fellow Oz poster quite recently as his message "be sensible,flexible and have a plan B" also seems to have aroused frenzied opposition.

The psychology of it all is rather fascinating.

59 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes..I noticed the frantic trolling when you were posting about your return to the States-even tho' you were very moderate in your views.

I saw the same thing with a fellow Oz poster quite recently as his message "be sensible,flexible and have a plan B" also seems to have aroused frenzied opposition.

It is, and there are papers written by researchers, looking into why even the mildest of opinions on the least controversial of topics can sometimes unleash a global tsunami of hate on the poor unsuspecting poster.

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Once you take out housing, the comparison between Thailand and a basket of countries begins to become a lot more marginal.

But housing is our most significant living cost in the west.

If you could rent (buy) a decent place elsewhere in the civilised world for $200/month with no property tax attached, nobody would be living here.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But housing is our most significant living cost in the west. If you could rent (buy) a decent place elsewhere in the civilised world for $200/month with no property tax attached, nobody would be living here.

That's because the West has enforceable building standards and in most countries insist that buildings are well-maintained over long periods of time

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But housing is our most significant living cost in the west.

If you could rent (buy) a decent place elsewhere in the civilised world for $200/month with no property tax attached, nobody would be living here.

"...nobody would be living here." is stretching it quite a long way - the pull of the pudenda accounts for a significant proportion of male expats, in my opinion - but you have a point.

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

I also find it fascinating.

There is a general pattern to them I think.

There is a section of the expat community, that burn all their bridges, sell up everything back home, often severing ties with their family, then when they see the reality of their lives they go into abject denial.

That then translates in to vitriol towards anyone who dares exposes any of their inner fears.

To quote George Smiley..."the fanatic is always hiding an inner doubt"

1 minute ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

"...nobody would be living here." is stretching it quite a long way - the pull of the pudenda accounts for a significant proportion of male expats, in my opinion - but you have a point.

Pussy may what called you here, but ten years later it's housing costs that stop you returning.

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

There is a section of the expat community, that burn all their bridges, sell up everything back home, often severing ties with their family, then when they see the reality of their lives they go into abject denial.

Many of us lost our homes in the divorce, I never sold anything to move here, it was taken from me.

Same for my family, 100% custody for her, 2hrs monitored weekly visit for me.

And nearly all my pals were the same.

No elements of choice was ever offered to me, except for my destination.

I don't hate you for returning, I would have kept a house there too, if I had been given any choice in the matter.

Actually, I doubt I would have ever visited Thailand if I hadn't been suddenly and unexpectedly homeless.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Many of us lost our homes in the divorce, I never sold anything to move here, it was taken from me.

No elements of choice was ever offered to me, except for my destination.

You chose to get divorced?

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nope, she decided to bang someone else, then take my house, children, savings and pension from me.

My choice would have been to stay with her, no matter who she was having sex with. 

So sex with you was too boring for her?

Archived