Is Thailand still worth it for Aussies?

17 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

"...nobody would be living here." is stretching it quite a long way - the pull of the pudenda accounts for a significant proportion of male expats, in my opinion - but you have a point.

I'd have to say the pull of the pudenda is quite a few Newtons stronger here. No contest, when one starts comparing pulchritude and cost.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I'd have to say the pull of the pudenda is quite a few Newtons stronger here. No contest, when one starts comparing pulchritude and cost.

Cost certainly but Australia's major cities seem to be full of international students looking to turn a trick. Some are even hoping for marriage so they can stay permanently and are willing to pay for it

5 hours ago, Nemises said:

Yep, meal abt $50.

Ciggys abt $40 a packet.

Accom (old pub) abt $200 a night.

Temperature (Bowral) abt 2 degrees.

You seem to be rather fixated on Bowral,Southern Highlands,NSW.

However that pub is nowhere near there.

It is where my grandfather left the family farm,crossed over the mountain and enlisted in 1916,to return a shattered man in 1919.

I had the rather wonderful experience of walking into the pub at Taylor's Arm and saying-"i have not been here for 60 years-are there any Smith's* still living here?"

Upon which my 3rd cousin put up his hand..a few beers later and we were off to the old farm...a great day.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Many of us lost our homes in the divorce, I never sold anything to move here, it was taken from me.

Same for my family, 100% custody for her, 2hrs monitored weekly visit for me.

And nearly all my pals were the same.

No elements of choice was ever offered to me, except for my destination.

I don't hate you for returning, I would have kept a house there too, if I had been given any choice in the matter.

Actually, I doubt I would have ever visited Thailand if I hadn't been suddenly and unexpectedly homeless.

Yeah thats a bummer, and not an uncommon story.

But from everything I read from your posts, you understand the reality of Thailand, but don't decry those of us that chose to do the two location existence, and be able to make some real world comparisons.

I was fortunate, me and my ex wife divorced a long time ago, she kept one house I kept the other. It all made it very amicable, so I didn't have to choose between one or the other. 

So I always had a bolt hole should I have needed it.

As it turned out, I just tired of Thailand, it wasn't the low cost retirement paradise it once was. But as I said before, it kinda insidiously crept up on me

I think that happens to a lot, bright shiny things and the shine wears off.

For the Aussies, with that kind of depreciation of the AUD to THB, that shine must be wearing pretty thin by now!

On 5/17/2019 at 4:32 AM, lipflipper said:

Well there is a bright spot in the continual fall of the Aussie dollar and that's it will cull the Cheap Charlie boozing load mouth Aussies from staying here fulltime. Get a group of those Bogans together in a pub or restaurant and your pleasant quiet time goes out the window. I am hoping to see their dollar go even lower.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sounds like you have been stupid for a long time.. The same could be said about most nationalities 

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

For the Aussies, with that kind of depreciation of the AUD to THB, that shine must be wearing pretty thin by now!

Wasn't there a spate of similar posts by Brits complaining about the depreciation of the GBP against the baht a couple of years ago?

12 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Cost certainly but Australia's major cities seem to be full of international students looking to turn a trick. Some are even hoping for marriage so they can stay permanently and are willing to pay for it

Marriage in Australia is a path to losing half one's assets. Same with any defacto relationship of more than a year.

At least Thailand has sensible family law in that respect.

I've had north of half a million dollars legally taken from me in Oz. If I was to split from my Thai GF tomorrow, I would not begrudge her a single baht of what I have contributed.

My guess is the premium said students put on pay-for-play is a big multiple of what one shells out here.

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Wasn't there a spate of similar posts by Brits complaining about the depreciation of the GBP against the baht a couple of years ago?

Well the Brits have their own unique Brexit issues of currency depreciation against almost everyone!

18 hours ago, Toknarok said:

I,m very glad that the Aussie Govt. gives those pensioners living abroad the twice yearly pension increases, unlike the UK which freezes the aged pension if you move to Thailand. These increases tend to offset the deteriorating of the Oz dollar.

Last month a friend of mine moved back to OZ, he lives in Adelaide. From what he has informed me most things are NOT cheaper in Aust. One cannot live off cheese and wine. Try $25 a kilo for lleg of lamb from Coles on special.

Might be an Adelaide thing but here on the gold coast the cost per kg for a leg of lamb is $13.50 at Coles.

15 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Might be an Adelaide thing but here on the gold coast the cost per kg for a leg of lamb is $13.50 at Coles.

I'd have to agree - lamb is around $12/kg at Woolworths for shoulder roast and $13.50/kg for leg (just checked online). Of course the wife may be inflating the price she's telling him to save up for those new sexy knickers she's planning on buying

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Pussy may what called you here, but ten years later it's housing costs that stop you returning.

I came here for the housing and the Pussy is keeping me here, lol

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If Brexit cost us Brits 20%, what is costing you Aussies 33%? ................

More than that, when I fist came here 100 baht cost me close to $3, now 100 baht costs close to $5. Add in 20% price increase on most things, we are way over 50%

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

More than that, when I fist came here 100 baht cost me close to $3, now 100 baht costs close to $5. Add in 20% price increase on most things, we are way over 50%

I can't understand whats going wrong with Australia.

You have endless amounts of empty land, housing should be dirt cheap.

Your country is full of mineral resources covered in cows and sheep, and surrounded by fish, food should be very cheap.

Why is you currency becoming worthless?

What's happening?

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can't understand whats going wrong with Australia.

You have endless amounts of empty land, housing should be dirt cheap.

Your country is full of mineral resources covered in cows and sheep, and surrounded by fish, food should be very cheap.

Why is you currency becoming worthless?

What's happening?

Lots of land but everyone wants to live on the coastal strips where the little employments is.

Property in Australia is one of the only ways we can make money so it ends up being a giant pyramid scheme.

The only thing we do is export minerals coal etc, we don't make anything, we don't even make whitegoods anymore.

19 hours ago, Toknarok said:

One cannot live off cheese and wine. Try $25 a kilo for lleg of lamb from Coles on special. (I can get for much less than that in Makro) $52 kilo for rack of lamb, $4-$5 dollars for a cup of coffee, $8 dollars for a midi (about half pint) of beer

Depends how you shop. Get one kilo of pork chops for $9.90. Top quality loin pork chops $15. Buy chicken or meat packs for $50 a pack with enough meat from one to last you a week. Fresh mullet (fish) this week was $5 a kilo. I have been buying half rumps, much better than any Thai meat for $80 and that lasts me ages. Beer is expensive at $5 a schooner. Milk is 2.85 for three litres on special.  Basic staples like pasta and sauces between 1 to 3 dollars.  All the basics if you look around and buy on special are easy to obtain. They only thing is you have do is cook it. As I said, it depends how you shop. Mind you, I am saving also $300 a month on doctors appointments. It is all different for everyone.

Where are people getting these $5 beers in Australia ? I was back over last Christmas, pubs/clubs, city/country etc, I dont think I paid under

$7-8 a beer (425ml schooner).

19 hours ago, cranki said:

Where are you coming up with this 6% figure ?? investing in what ?? but you are correct, to me that is small coin.

However, I do see your argument, it could be helpful for others ???? so I'll leave it at that...

Answer = pull out ANY amortization schedule relating to investments over time.  Simply plug in the parameters and you will get the same answer.  Numbers do not lie, they do not care about your or my opinion.  THat's how much money you loose when you (launder) it to Thai banks for that Visa privilege.  

THat's money you will NOT see, but could have if one made an informed choice.  Again. it is an individual decision. My position on this matter is simple....make an "informed decision".  

I realize some people do not care.  Good, cause I don't care either what they decide to do with their money.  

5 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Get one kilo of pork chops for $9.90

Got two kilos of pork chops today at $6.80 per kg

The beer you can get at members rates at certain clubs if you join from $5.50 to $8 depending on the brand. Of course, it can go much, much higher depending on if your drinking craft. Can buy two bottles of wine at some clubs for $24. Also selected main meals in some members clubs come with a beer.

The big difference here is once you have two full strength beers in a hour, your over the limit. I think a lot of people would hate that fact in Thailand, but it saves lives. I remember this year watching a American guy drink himself stupid at a restaurant we were eating at and drive his young family home. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How much does your house and associated taxes cost?

Nothing else makes that big a difference.

Exactly the same as what I pay in health insurance premiums a year - $2200 a year. Yes, much more expensive then Thailand but it cancels itself out over free health care. I spend 100K a year just on my health in Thailand. All free here.

5 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Exactly the same as what I pay in health insurance premiums a year - $2200 a year. Yes, much more expensive then Thailand but it cancels itself out over free health care. I spend 100K a year just on my health in Thailand. All free here.

$2200/year for a house rental is a good deal,

Is it a caravan park? are you living with your mom? and are there no state taxes attached?

18 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Got two kilos of pork chops today at $6.80 per kg

The beer you can get at members rates at certain clubs if you join from $5.50 to $8 depending on the brand. Of course, it can go much, much higher depending on if your drinking craft. Can buy two bottles of wine at some clubs for $24. Also selected main meals in some members clubs come with a beer.

The big difference here is once you have two full strength beers in a hour, your over the limit. I think a lot of people would hate that fact in Thailand, but it saves lives. I remember this year watching a American guy drink himself stupid at a restaurant we were eating at and drive his young family home. 

Yep!

My Thai wife thinks that the food shopping is heaven.

Don't forget the $10.00 lunch specials..roasts,fish,bangers and mash,burgers etc..etc.

We are also very fortunate as we know a number of Filipino and Thai barterers and my mate Alex normally drops off a couple of bream every week.

You just can't get a good meat pie,chips,peas and gravy anymore...or not in my area,anyway.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

$2200/year for a house rental is a good deal, is it a caravan park? and are there no state taxes attached?

Sorry, the house is my parents.The rates bill is $2200 a year (for services). We pay $1100 for insurances. We are currently selling this house and going to move to a Condo on the beach. The body corp on that property is $66 a week.

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

You just cant get a good meat pie,chips,peas and gravy anymore

Yes, that is true. I tried a pie last week and even though it came from a famous pie shop, it was nowhere near the same as 20 years ago. The mullet have been on the run up here and been buying it between $5-7 a kilo.

15 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Sorry, the house is my parents.The rates bill is $2200 a year (for services). We pay $1100 for insurances. We are currently selling this house and going to move to a Condo on the beach. The body corp on that property is $66 a week.

So comparing your

$1100 house insurance Vs my 1000Bht house insurance

$2200 rates bill with my 5000bht (security + garbage) (If I add water the's another 4000bht)

It seems Thailand is considerably cheaper.

Archived