British man jumps to his death at Central Festival mall in Pattaya

snoop1130

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Another one. Further proof of what living here can do to you. Thailand can destroy you, mentally, physically and financially. All we can ask is, did he fall or was he pushed? There must have been witnesses in a store like that. Horrible way to go, seeing the ground rushing towards you must seem like an eternity, like the apparent slow motion experienced in a car crash... then splat! RIP.

Further proof of what living here can do to you. Thailand can destroy you, mentally, physically and financially. 

only if your a weak person

lived here 20 years been most places never been pushed anywhere, get with the program 

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I am not sure they are weak as it must take a lot of guts to jump.  Sick/depressed though most certainly.

i get what ur saying and i agree with you but, you and i would not go to those exstreams in public place. thats where it starts to get crazy 

13 hours ago, Kevin mcbeath said:

Headline reads jumped police say fell?

He most certainly fell to his death. Perhaps he jumped over the barrier? Or once over the barrier he jumped into the emptiness? But in either case it was the fall and associated sudden stop, aka impact, that lead to his demise. I have a fear of concrete or concrete like hard surfaces, so jumping to my death is out the question for me, unless I was to jump into water, and since I've always been a great swimmer, this wouldn't be a option for me either. I am curious about the charcoal method one poster referred to. But the idea of eating a bunch of charcoal isn't very appealing to begin with then when some unlucky bloke finds me, he'll see the black charcoal crumbs around my mouth and figure I ate chocolate cake until I died. Not the legacy, I , a former bulimic and compulsive fitness  guru want to leave behind. 

11 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

I'm unclear what kind of respect for the body is required in the event of a very public suicide. Would respect include limiting speculation and reserving judgments without fact on a public forum? 

The suicide is one thing (if it was a suicide) and a tragic on its own.

But it does not invite automatically the pictorial satisfaction of bystanders - honestly I wonder what they do with these pictures? Hollering about how stupid people are or sharing it with the kids on social media? 

59 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

only if your a weak person

lived here 20 years been most places never been pushed anywhere, get with the program 

The poor chap obviously had his reasons. We all have our limits, I hope you never find yours.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:30 PM, fforest1 said:

Why would some one jump INSIDE a mall?

Wondering about that too, just so harsh to do to everyone in there.
Perhaps to make a statement? Like a warning to other farangs for Pattaya. Might sound crazy but if all the drama relates, he could blame that.

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

It's 80 per day.

I can show several reports of around 60 a day, so not sure where you get your figures, but it's totally irrelevant to the point I was making.

2 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

cos he is sad,sick,and selfish why would you do that in front of other people like young children and women i have no sympathy for these types of people.

You have no understanding either.

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I can show several reports of around 60 a day, so not sure where you get your figures, but it's totally irrelevant to the point I was making.

Yeah well..from the man who is easily convinced by phantom posters on TVF-re Aussie cigarettes..

It's 80 per day unless you play Dungeons and Dragons in your head.The Thai authorities do..but then the intellectual life of "farangs" in Thailand is somewhat "iffy",neh?

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

No, the following picture was, what I found despicable 

CC498995-0150-486D-AEEE-4299EA6D6839.jpeg

What's despicable?

I see mall security securing the area after the body has been covered. With the possible assistance of mall staff, they are erecting a totally enclosed sala to completely screen the body from onlookers. A small group of rubberneckers are maybe 20-30 meters away and a couple of people that are blissfully unaware of what has just happened are using the nearby escalator.

I recall a favorite jumpers spot was from the rooftop at Mike's Department Store or Mall. There is (or was) a public access swimming pool up there so access was very easy. Maybe they closed that off (or had security turn away sad old blokes without a towel) and Central has come up as the next easiest option?

4 hours ago, Bipolar said:

RIP to the poor soul. But on the other hand I really do not think that its right or good for falangs to end their life by jumping from buildings or inside malls as they endanger the lives of local thais and other Asian tourists (rated as cheap tourist by falangs but at least they are buying and spending and not jumping in these malls.) the government should have new rules about long term stay and short term falang tourist and expats in this country. Maybe when these 'rich and high spending falangs 'are entering shopping malls and also buildings, they have to show ids and also leave a refundable deposit in case the leave a mess and also may sure that they have additional insurance in case they cause injury or death to others. 

I’m accustomed to daft ideas on Thai Visa, but this one deserves a prize.

20 hours ago, neeray said:

Interesting. Almost all comments here accept/assume suicide. Nobody knows for sure. Maybe he leaned on a railing and fell over. Maybe he parked his butt on it and ..... . Maybe he suffered a seizure or blackout before falling.

There was a report of him letting go of someone's hand and climbing over the rail. 

23 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

To those who are trying to make sense of this sad horrific thing.

completing suicide seems rational to the person doing it, and is the best alternative as they see it.

the comments about why in a mall why this why that are perhaps a waste of time n focus.

the overwhelming experience a person has that they see as motivation to kill themselves are myriad.

Interstellar levels of self-loathing is nearly always a component of suicidal people whether they complete or not.

in the case of serious and or terminal illness such loathing and self hatred usually excludes this thinking and associated emotions.

if you are having despairing thoughts or notice a friend taking high risks or withdrawing or letting go of self care then ask them with intent are they feeling ok.

its okay to talk about self harm thinking with and to others.

talking about, broaching the subject with a despairing person does not encourage or initiate self harm episodes, quite the contrary????

men are far more likely to self harm then women. So go talk to your mates.

You are on the money here.  Often people try to rationalise why someone did something.  You cannot apply normal thinking to an abnormal situation.  You'll just chase your tail forever.  Depression is just one example of mental illness, people do things when they are depressed and asked later why they did it, the answer is usually, "I don't know, I wasn't thinking straight".  Schizophrenia is another often misunderstood illness.  A lot of these people "constantly" have voices in their heads demanding self-harm or suicide, maybe just maybe an opportunity presented its self just at that time, only the poor person lying on the floor will probably ever know the truth.  RIP

1 minute ago, Tomahawk21 said:

i understand enough not to be doing that in public in front of women and young children. he could of taken a large number of pills if he want to die in private.

Perhaps it was a spur of the moment thing - he saw the opportunity and he took it. Thinking about whether it would upset the kiddies probably wasn't at the forefront of his mind

Archived