BANGKOK 26 June 2019 00:41
skatewash

End of Consular Outreach for Americans in Thailand

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they have stopped doing them since there would only be a handful of people showing up for the outreaches since they cannot do the income affidavits any more.

I would guess 90% or more going to the outreaches were getting income affidavits.

The last time the embassy staff  came to Pattaya I told the lady that helped me I was pretty sure it'd be the last outreach visit the Embassy made.    She agreed and suspected I referred to the income letter.

I told her that's not the problem but rather there was zero security for the personnel.    Whatever the reason, I believe it has more  to do with security issues than anything else.

I'm sorry to see the program come to an end.

• Like 1

I see no more passport renewals except by mail but...

Does this End of Consular Outreach include notarial services? Such as residence certification etc?

3 hours ago, mania said:

I see no more passport renewals except by mail but...

Does this End of Consular Outreach include notarial services? Such as residence certification etc?

You can still apply for a passport in person at the embassy or the consulate in Chiang Mai. But they will mail to the new one to you.

Nothing has changed at the embassy or consulate. The still offer notary services and etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, OJAS said:

Yep, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the US Embassy, as enthusiastically aided and abetted by its UK & Aussie counterparts, is pulling out all the stops to maintain good relations with Thailand by rendering the various powers-that-be in LOS every assistance they might need in making life as miserable and difficult as is humanly possible for American, British and Australian expats in particular.

While not a conspiracy type, I do wonder if these countries are collectively beginning to turn attention to the number of their own citizens from the working middle class, out priced in their own countries who flee for retirement in lower cost countries. Australia and British retirees have already experienced some negative steps dissuading them for spending their retirement incomes offshore. I have no doubts that if the American Republicans seize on this, they too would try to penalize offshore retirees. I had already had a FB commentator refer to me as not having an equal citizen voice in US political opinions as I had "defected" by living in another country.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

While not a conspiracy type, I do wonder if these countries are collectively beginning to turn attention to the number of their own citizens from the working middle class, out priced in their own countries who flee for retirement in lower cost countries. Australia and British retirees have already experienced some negative steps dissuading them for spending their retirement incomes offshore. I have no doubts that if the American Republicans seize on this, they too would try to penalize offshore retirees. I had already had a FB commentator refer to me as not having an equal citizen voice in US political opinions as I had "defected" by living in another country.

Well, it's not exactly a secret that the idea of moving away from the U.S. is not appreciated or understood by a large percentage of Americans. Expatriate -- does that mean unpatriotic? Americans are propagandized from an early age that most of the world wants to move to the U.S. so Americans moving away is off message. Repatriating back after a long time would be a culture shock too, many Americans might see such people as similar to new immigrants. What? You want me to install a bum gun in your bathroom? There certainly is no political price to pay for not treating expats well and there's probably a benefit for some. Of course, exceptions would be military people abroad, embassy officials, and temporary wealthy corporate type expats (maybe not so much on policy but on public attitudes). 

• Like 2

ACS at the Embassy in Bangkok is a very unpleasant experience. Overcrowded little room and staffed with the most rude consular officials I have ever dealt with in any country. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It would be an interesting statistic on how many people actually showed up for the outreach meetings.

In all my years living in Khon Kaen, I 'liked' the idea of consular outreach, but I never in reality attended a single one.

Maybe apathy on the part of the American expat community, might have contributed to this decision.

So I have no idea if thats true or not, but I'm sure I'm not alone in that state of apathy!

• Like 1