Build a bungalow / shadehouse over the pond?

Anyone built a bungalow over the pond to save space, give shade to the water? 

Making ditches to lead all water from the mountain and land down to the pool, and if I build a house over most of the pond, I will loose the rainfall directly inn to it, but my guess that will be enough water by the end of the rainseason, and we will also pump water in to tanks we have. 

What you think? 

F79A7C3C-29C4-474B-B75A-6DB8F5EF8C0A.jpeg

C4C67343-3E04-4578-938A-89C5AC7B6214.jpeg

99878F56-3589-4C29-9B73-127907D5DA19.jpeg

D203B40C-A322-4453-8CB5-C791590E38EC.jpeg

0303E0B2-4F76-43A5-9E1F-485CDF115E57.jpeg

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

Love the idea! But, what about mosquitoes? Wouldn't that be their ideal nesting ground? 

It would definitely save space, and prevent a lot of legged, and non-legged, creatures entering the house - except those of a winged nature that is. 

Make sure you keep the pond well stocked with fish, just to help keep the mozzi population under control. Keep us updated. I'd love to see some photos later when your project takes on a form. 

IF I ever seriously wanted to build my dream home here, I'd build it on an island in the middle of the pond. 

I like this look... It would be nice to include an atrium inside the house too... The critical thing would be to have good foundation piling...

497178A5-EDC7-4CFC-AA0D-108ED53D1927.jpeg

Also so take a look at this...

Edited by sfokevin

5 minutes ago, grollies said:

If you are not hitting the water table when digging the pond and only relying on run-off or rainwater your pond will dry up in the dry season.

Therefor spare tanks to fill up during the wet season, but also make shadow for the pond as well plastic or concreete floor. Im sure we will get there finaly. Would love to have tomatos and other vegetables in the future as well among the trees. 

9 hours ago, sfokevin said:

The critical thing would be to have good foundation piling...

My thoughts exactly. 

And get the piles etc in now whilst you have easy access to the bottom of the pond (no water in it).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, grollies said:

Correct about the overflow. We get run-off from neighbours land and have a 1.2m dia pipe draining to a second, lower pond. The second pond overflows to the neighbours pond. Heavy rain this overflow can get overwhelmed and be insufficient to drain the pond (around half a rai area) quickly enough although there's enough freeboard to take the extra water.

I would think it almost impossible to calculate how much water will be running into his pond via the gulleys he's dug. It would depend on the area of catchment. If he doesn't dig to the water table he'll have to line it. If he has a second overflow pond that too will need to be lined. I'd explore a little and dig down to find the water table. It may only be a metre or two down. Depends on his ground contours.

Good ideas on the second pond. We find the first pond gets all the crap form next door and is pretty murky and suffers algae bloom due to all the frigging fertilizer run-off. The second, lower pond is crystal clear. The two ponds are pretty similar in size and depth, around 3m. All the crap in the first pond doesn't seem to affect the fish, we've tilapia some around 2kg, massive buggers.

It is first years try, and we will digg as far we can before the rain really sets in, but the land have alot of water coming down from the forrest hill, and we are at the moment digging dikes, where they have run down the land before, and out to the neighbour. The neigbour below, make rice, so he is maybe at the waterbed level, and that is 2 meters below our land. As I said, we do what we can to save as much water this year, and will pump most in to containers, or as much we can. 

We will cover the pond in shark pond liner, see attached link below. Any suggestions? 

We need 200 liters a day to our trees in the dry season, and we can supply with ampur water as well. 

https://www.homepro.co.th/homePro/en/Tools-Packing-Materials-Covers-Canvases/SHARK-POND-LINER-3-6Mx40Y-Black/p/1097908

• Like 2

8 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Unless it is thick enough to be welded together i don't think it would work.

The fish farmers use glue? 

Well, all information I can get, the better. I might drop that one this year, and instead collect water. Next dry season cement the pond. 

15 hours ago, Tagged said:

It is first years try, and we will digg as far we can before the rain really sets in, but the land have alot of water coming down from the forrest hill, and we are at the moment digging dikes, where they have run down the land before, and out to the neighbour. The neigbour below, make rice, so he is maybe at the waterbed level, and that is 2 meters below our land. As I said, we do what we can to save as much water this year, and will pump most in to containers, or as much we can. 

We will cover the pond in shark pond liner, see attached link below. Any suggestions? 

We need 200 liters a day to our trees in the dry season, and we can supply with ampur water as well. 

https://www.homepro.co.th/homePro/en/Tools-Packing-Materials-Covers-Canvases/SHARK-POND-LINER-3-6Mx40Y-Black/p/1097908

The water coming down the hill is interesting. Firstly, why not place a pond at the top to catch some of this water. Secondly, runoff like that will erode your land if it is moving quickly, you need to slow it down. Doing that will maximise the amount that soaks in. Have a look at creating swales and ditches to control that water flow, lots of good examples on the web.

Also check out the web for ram pump designs. Easy to make and do not need power to run. With only a few hundred litres needed for the trees you could set up a ram pump and hoses to provide a drip system which runs continuously 24/7.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

The water coming down the hill is interesting. Firstly, why not place a pond at the top to catch some of this water. Secondly, runoff like that will erode your land if it is moving quickly, you need to slow it down. Doing that will maximise the amount that soaks in. Have a look at creating swales and ditches to control that water flow, lots of good examples on the web.

Also check out the web for ram pump designs. Easy to make and do not need power to run. With only a few hundred litres needed for the trees you could set up a ram pump and hoses to provide a drip system which runs continuously 24/7.

Thanks for the input. Im not sure of the depth we can have on the top of the land, since there is for sure a mountain, and rocks there. But in the middle it is good I think. However we will catch water at the bottom, pump it back up in thanks, and save as much as possible, and also make a drip system next year. Trying to work my way trough all options here. 

You can buy black PVC 100m x 1.8m for around B4,000 per roll. It's pretty thick and glues together well. Not sure of actual thickness.

We used it on my wife's broiler farm for the tunnel ventilation ceiling and side curtains.

Any supplier of poultry farm equipment will have it. Google Asia Vet, they were our supplier for this.

Edited by grollies

On 5/18/2019 at 5:38 PM, grollies said:

You can buy black PVC 100m x 1.8m for around B4,000 per roll. It's pretty thick and glues together well. Not sure of actual thickness.

We used it on my wife's broiler farm for the tunnel ventilation ceiling and side curtains.

Any supplier of poultry farm equipment will have it. Google Asia Vet, they were our supplier for this.

Hi, could you help me with an adress I can order from? Went to Homepro, and they did not have in stock what I looking for. 

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

Hi, could you help me with an adress I can order from? Went to Homepro, and they did not have in stock what I looking for. 

http://www.asiavettech.co.th/2015/main/intro.php

Get your wife to ask for James. BUT and I stress BUT, check the thickness is suitable. TBH at that price you could double it over to increase thickness. Personally, I'd be happy to use it as pond liner but you're not me ????

I'll PM you his phone number when wifey gets home.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

The pond is working ok with clay and bentonite sealing. We have now borehole and tanks as well. 

Lokking at evaporation at daily basis about two cm wich tells me I loose around 960 liter pr day. Anyone else have an idea how much evaporation they have daily basis at sunny days 30c +- ? 

not build any pond house or sala yet! 

DC1DA593-D3EA-409F-81B1-094AD7826F82.jpeg.bd69adcea829526bb2b25448a7dff331.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, Tagged said:

I already had the mosquitos in mind, and fish is a good solution yes. 

I found my dream home here ????

In the middle of the pond

4A128F78-7CB1-4508-AB3F-1FCB764607BA.jpeg

85AEC9AB-4922-4F2F-A240-53FB0612BA61.jpeg

How much did it cost you to build the house... how many sq m... maybe a bit smaller might make a nice guesthouse for me... thanx.. and where are you? 

17 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

How much did it cost you to build the house... how many sq m... maybe a bit smaller might make a nice guesthouse for me... thanx.. and where are you? 

The house in the pond is in Chaiyaphum, and we passed there on the way back from thailands Stone heng

http://travel.khiewchanta.com/archives/off-the-beaten-track/thailands-stone-henge.html

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

The pond is working ok with clay and bentonite sealing. We have now borehole and tanks as well. 

Lokking at evaporation at daily basis about two cm wich tells me I loose around 960 liter pr day. Anyone else have an idea how much evaporation they have daily basis at sunny days 30c +- ? 

not build any pond house or sala yet! 

DC1DA593-D3EA-409F-81B1-094AD7826F82.jpeg.bd69adcea829526bb2b25448a7dff331.jpeg

Your water in the pond has cleared up nicely.

• Like 1