Chiang Mai drivers complain about Grab

snoop1130

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't Grab work using GPS as your start and end points when you call?

(I've only ever used Passapp, where you enter your own start and end points, and the car just takes you between the two)

How can the GPS not work?

Unfortunately I am of the "old school" with just an ordinary Samsung mobile 3G phone- no GPS. Whether the lady Grab driver had GPS I've no idea. Whatever, I never reached my hotel and I ditched Grab.

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Unfortunately I am of the "old school" with just an ordinary Samsung mobile 3G phone- no GPS. Whether the lady Grab driver had GPS I've no idea. Whatever, I never reached my hotel and I ditched Grab.

Grab is based around smartphone GPS technology, if you don't have one, you've just explained your problem.

A problem none of us are likely to encounter.

Please, please we hate competition. And we also hate change, and progress. They are the worst. Keep everything the same, forever. Do not let society evolve or progress. 

The fact is, that Uber, Grab, and Lyft has improved the quality of life for hundreds of millions of people around the planet. When I travel now, I do not have to rent cars anymore. Nor do I have to submit to massive overcharging by taxi companies. Using these services saves us money, and is an incredible convenience, not having to look for parking, fuss with insurance, and deal with all of the other nonsense.

Culture, and society have a way of moving forward. Progress benefits most. Those that are not creative, not able to dance on their feet, improvise, adapt, change, and progress fall behind. It is the way of the world. I have not one iota of compassion for these complainers. 

According to the situation, the destination and the time I use both. I always ask the red car driver politely in only 3 northern language words if he drive to my destination. If some times red car drivers say no I wait the next one. Usually no discussion about the price, I just 30 Thb when arrived. 1 in 20  or 30 may ask for more than 30 Thb and then I deny with rolling eyes and let him go. Some are very friendly and helpful. I never had any problem with Songtaews. However, several times I really prefer former uber or grab now, for instance heading to the airport with luggage early morning or together with 2 guests to a restaurant at night.

26 minutes ago, AlfonsV said:

I always ask the red car driver politely in only 3 northern language words if he drive to my destination.

lol. What are those three words? Normally you only tell the driver the destination, if he nods, hop on.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The petition said the app had caused their income to drop by more than 50 per cent.

A higher percentage number than Chiang Mai taxi drivers that have agreed to turn on the meter. 

Som. Nam. <deleted>. Naa. 

5 hours ago, malibukid said:

back to the plow with these crooks.  half the time they never understand where you want to go.  let the Chinese have them.  plus there is a lovely new bus service now in CM that i support.  who wants to sit in back of a rickety old pick up truck in the heat. can't wait for the flying taxis

The bus service is ridiculous. Creates pollution and traffic jam. Never seen more than 0 up to 5 passengers in the bus

So back to the numbers for a second, they say they now still do around 1,500B per day? That is a extremely good revenue / wage for a driver in Thailand,
they should be silent and happy they are not kicked off the road for all problems they create. (No wonder I see those old red trucks parked at brand new houses).

A grab driver can only dream of making that per day and yet is non complaining, very polite, reliable, fast and most important affordable.

This all besides the most important fact; they are free to sign-up themselves, there is even a shortage for songtaews in certain grab areas (they are still nice to use for moving big stuff).

6 hours ago, AlfonsV said:

The bus service is ridiculous. Creates pollution and traffic jam. Never seen more than 0 up to 5 passengers in the bus

Cuz you have to get trough the taxi hawkers before you even get a chance seeing the bus stop, if you do at all.
On purpose again of course, they could easily advertise it clearly and promote it temporary to be free / combine with air asia tickets etc.

Archived