BANGKOK 24 June 2019 17:51
myjawe

Water heater installation, what could go wrong ?

hello, after renovating bathroom I have to put back the water heater, but I forgot to take photos, maybe you could confirm that this is correct ?

Water heater is Stiebel Eltron.

- 2 electric cables from condo main electric box are connected into a switch to cut electricity

- 2 electric cables from heater connect to this switch

- Earth / Ground connect to the available hole in water heater

Anything else ? If I am not sure about the cable colors in the water heater, what could go wrong if I do not connect the 3 cables to the correct place in the heater ? It will just break the machine ?

Also, bathroom does not have any electric socket for an hair dryer, so can i just connect a cable (and socket) to the heater or to the switch ? Or maybe it's not the correct way to proceed ?

Thank you for your help / confirmation.

"- Earth / Ground connect to the available hole in water heater."

I'm not an electrician but I suggest you check well that the plug on the cable coming out of the heater has 3 pins, inside the plug the 3 wires are all connected to pins (3 in total / correct colouring) and also ensure that the earth wire is actually earthed, it is properly / securely connected to an earthing rod or whatever.

As said, I'm not an electrician, far from it, but several times I've had buddies assume the earthing connections are fully completed then discovered the earth wire in fact goes nowhere, in other words it provides no protection whatever.

I'm sure the real sparkies will be along soon to comment more.

Good luck.  

• Like 2

I always connect live and neutral correctly. Otherwise something that seems to be switched off still can be under power. I never care about cable colors but always check myself what is the live and what is the neutral wire. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In respect of putting the water heater and a hair dryer to the same switch. Both could be switched on at the same time. So you have to make sure that the cable going to the switch supports this wattage and also make sure that the fuse protecting this cable fits. 

Edited by Beggar
  • Like 1

Stiebel Eltron water heaters should come with a helpful template and instructions. You can consider getting help from the Stiebel Eltron "PC" that might be at your local home builders merchants, Global House, Homepro or Thaiwatsadu. 

Buriram Stiebel Eltron 100 liter hot water tank.jpg

Expo Buriram Stiebel Eltron Water Heaters.jpg

• Like 1

For the sake of a few baht get a competent electrician it’s a 5 minute job if your going to do it yourself switch off the main fuse in your box as for putting in a socket make sure you buy one that has a waterproof cover on it water and electricity do not like each other .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I spent 5,000 baht on a Safe T protector and boy there have been times when it has been helpful especially if you have bad electric coming into your property living on an island we can get many power cuts that I turn burn out computers , TVs and so on . Never be a skin flint when it comes to electricity treat it as the number 1 item in your property .

• Like 1

What’s the model number?

Most S Electron w/h’s are fitted with a 30 A ELCB

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 5:17 AM, Crossy said:

Don't forget to connect the water :whistling:

And to the correct side - recently had off-brand unit installed by contractor with input on output - does not work well that way.  I had removed both hot/neutral from breaker box while they worked and they only connected hot at first so when they connected neutral and still did not work they were sure unit bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Check your cable size, I would run minimum of 6mm sq. if under 20 feet and better 8mm or even 10mm if it is a longer run with high current.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

first need know what size heater have wattage, then need instal residual current circuit breaker.

third you need connect hot wire, L, neutral wire N, and ground wire green-yellow. go to ground outside house. long copper rod to ground.  wattage rules say what size cable you need use. under 3500W used 1 image.png.2acd04cd9ae787ea3c1be5e2900c1c91.png first have cable size, second have same AWG american wire standard, last have max current to cable. uxI volt x current is wattage.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1