Brexit campaigner Boris Johnson to stand as next Conservative leader

snoop1130

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

who cares who pulls the plug, water will still go down the drain, the country is self destructing.

I don't think it is self destructing but it seems to me that the 2 main political parties have been running on mind over matter for a long time. The "We don't mind and the plebs don't matter" attitude.

What has changed in the last 2 or 3 years is Brexit. The voters at the time voted to leave and Cameron assured them at the time that the government would implement that decision. 

He lost and jumped ship, TM became the PM and in nearly 3 years has accomplished something never seen in hundreds of years. The people of the UK are so fed up that they are split over Brexit and together they are against their elected politicians and want ro get shot of them it seems according to opinion polls.

I mostly ignore opinion polls but lately they are showing that the people cannot believe or trust their elected representatives and want to dump them. I can understand that and I agree with the principle.

Nigel Farage believes that the Brexit party will gain the most seats in the unwanted and unnecessary EU elections and IMO he is correct. I also believe that Teresa May has lost the plot completely and is not trusted by the EU or the majority of the UK electorate.

There is no doubt that she will quit and soon but who will replace her? Boris if the government skates by without a general election or perhaps a survivor of the Tory party if there is an election.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The prospect of a Brexiteer being held accountable for the mess he helped create is indeed an improvement.

Brexiteers did NOT cause the mess but the current remain leadership did.

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And of course those who voted for this crock of Brexit are absolved of all responsibility.

It’s always somebody else’s fault.

Obviously you are a person who does NOT believe in democracy and freedom of choice.

In 2016 the majority who voted, voted to leave and the government said, leave it to us and we will get the best deal AND we will leave on 29 March 2019.

Brexiteers were never in control of Brexit, the Remainers in the government were.

The electorate trusted them, even after a general election and now we have this fiasco caused solely by our elected MPs, all 650 of them.

So in answer to your second statement you are absolutely correct. We did and do blame somebody else.

45 minutes ago, JAG said:

What is more, he has a certain record of electoral success, he did win the mayoral elections in London twice running. His most unforgivable action of course was unseating the darling of the left - Ken Livingstone!

He was mayor of London twice running.  I well remember him helplessly hanging from the zip wire and flattening a small boy when demonstrating his rugby skills.  And of course his new bridge across the Thames that was rightfully scrapped even though it cost the tax payer millions of pounds in the planning.  And then there was the Boris's cycle lanes that had all of the taxi drivers spitting blood over and has seriously caused unnecessary delays everywhere.  Many of his screw-ups are now being put right but at quite a cost!

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

He was mayor of London twice running.  I well remember him helplessly hanging from the zip wire and flattening a small boy when demonstrating his rugby skills.  And of course his new bridge across the Thames that was rightfully scrapped even though it cost the tax payer millions of pounds in the planning.  And then there was the Boris's cycle lanes that had all of the taxi drivers spitting blood over and has seriously caused unnecessary delays everywhere.  Many of his screw-ups are now being put right but at quite a cost!

Scrapping his water cannon proved costly last month though didn't it.

His Zipline prank catapulted him into the headlines around the world and keeps him there each time he drops a clanger. No other politician could survive but Boris always does. Farage had to survive a helicopter crash before Joe Public knew who he was (is) but I can't see him wanting to do it again just to keep up with BJ.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Brexiteers did NOT cause the mess but the current remain leadership did.

Obviously you are a person who does NOT believe in democracy and freedom of choice.

In 2016 the majority who voted, voted to leave and the government said, leave it to us and we will get the best deal AND we will leave on 29 March 2019.

Brexiteers were never in control of Brexit, the Remainers in the government were.

The electorate trusted them, even after a general election and now we have this fiasco caused solely by our elected MPs, all 650 of them.

So in answer to your second statement you are absolutely correct. We did and do blame somebody else.

You voted for a pack of lies with no plan attached.

And now you blame everyone and anyone so long as you don’t have to examine your own gulliblity.

35 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And now you blame everyone and anyone so long as you don’t have to examine your own gulliblity.

The plan was to leave. The spiders web didn't kick in until afterwards.

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How do you know I voted for a pack of lies?

You don't know me, have never met me and you seem to have a reading comprehension problem as you obviously cannot understand my post.

So as with many Remainers you simply insult the poster by assuming that I am gullible.

Poor try and no cigar.

51 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How do you know I voted for a pack of lies?

You don't know me, have never met me and you seem to have a reading comprehension problem as you obviously cannot understand my post.

So as with many Remainers you simply insult the poster by assuming that I am gullible.

Poor try and no cigar.

You are supporting an act of national self harm brought about by lies and electoral fraud.

I need know nothing else about you to draw a conclusion from that.

In one thing we agree, the Brexit debacle has resulted in a breakdown of trust between the electorate and politicians.

When we examine the connections between members of the Leave campaign and foreign governments/political organizations and factor in the knowledge that £millions of unaccounted foreign funding poured into the Leave campaigns it becomes a valid question to ask - was Brexit a means to break trust in the political process?

And then that other question:

cui bono?

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

the Brexit debacle has resulted in a breakdown of trust between the electorate and politicians

Some would argue the Brexit vote was brought about by "a breakdown of trust between the electorate and politicians" rather than resulted in

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Some would argue the Brexit vote was brought about by "a breakdown of trust between the electorate and politicians" rather than resulted in

I’m sure some would.

It are you saying 17+ million people voted in a process they had no trust in?

That just does not make sense.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

The objective was to leave.

There was no plan.

Putting remainers in charge of leave is like putting John Prescott in charge of a pie shop, what can possibly go wrong.

Democracy will never work when the losers won't accept the result.

19 minutes ago, vogie said:

Putting remainers in charge of leave is like putting John Prescott in charge of a pie shop, what can possibly go wrong.

Democracy will never work when the losers won't accept the result.

Remind me, what was it Farage had to say about a 52:48 result?

Democracy is a process, it did not come to a halt on the morning of the referendum and result.

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Remind me, what was it Farage had to say about a 52:48 result?

Democracy is a process, it did not come to a hauls on the morning of the referendum and result.

Remind me what Harold Godwinson said at the Battle of Hastings, well I'll tell you, he said "thats one in the eye for democracy and I'll bet Chomper Higgott will still be bringing it up over a thousand years later" 

Democracy only works if the losers accept the result.

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It does not surprise me in the least that you do not know the difference between an objective and a plan.

I know what a Beartrap looks like when set by an amateur ????

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

Remind me what Harold Godwinson said at the Battle of Hastings, well I'll tell you, he said "thats one in the eye for democracy and I'll bet Chomper Higgott will still be bringing it up over a thousand years later" 

All democracies are systems in which citizens freely make political decisions by majority rule. But rule by the majority is not necessarily democratic: No one, for example, would call a system fair or just that permitted 51 percent of the population to oppress the remaining 49 percent in the name of the majority.

THE PILLARS OF DEMOCRACY

Sovereignty of the people.

Government based upon consent of the governed.

Majority rule.

Minority rights.

Guarantee of basic human rights.

Free and fair elections.

Equality before the law.

Due process of law.

Constitutional limits on government.

Social, economic, and political pluralism.

Values of tolerance, pragmatism, cooperation, and compromise.

3 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

All democracies are systems in which citizens freely make political decisions by majority rule. But rule by the majority is not necessarily democratic: No one, for example, would call a system fair or just that permitted 51 percent of the population to oppress the remaining 49 percent in the name of the majority.

Well certainly not you anyway.

The rules were set out before the referendum took place, the ruling was +1 to win, however 1.3 million was the majority, pretty conclusive to most people unless you are a remainer of course.

Nobody is suppressing anyone here, you have to have winners and losers or else it would be a total waste of time having a referendum in the first place.

19 minutes ago, vogie said:

It only works if the electoral process is not mired in fraud.

The result was accepted, and the democratic fight to get it overturned started at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It only works if the electoral process is not mired in fraud.

The result was accepted, and the democratic fight to get it overturned started at the same time.

You have just confirmed my "democracy only works if the losers accept the result" 

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

You have just confirmed my "democracy only works if the losers accept the result" 

The losers did accept the result, then used their democratic rights to have it overturned.

Democracy did not come to a shuddering halt on the morning of the referendum result.

see Farage 52:48 and all that.

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

Well certainly not you anyway.

The rules were set out before the referendum took place, the ruling was +1 to win, however 1.3 million was the majority, pretty conclusive to most people unless you are a remainer of course.

Nobody is suppressing anyone here, you have to have winners and losers or else it would be a total waste of time having a referendum in the first place.

Democracy only works if the losers accept the result.

Complete BShite. What freaking rules? A referendum is an advisory vote, not a carte blanche to be undemocratic. And no, democracy by your understanding is completely false.

I would remind you that 26% of the total population is not a majority, whatever the referendum vote. MPs are obligated to represent and answer to their constituents. And they're exercising their democratic rights to do so. That's democracy in action, not a cliff jump lemming leavers opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The losers did accept the result, then used their democratic rights to have it overturned.

Democracy did not come to a shuddering halt on the morning of the referendum result.

The losers have never accepted the result, remainers fail to understand the concept of democracy, it's all about me me me. Just look at the idiot outside the Houses of Parliament, loud mouth Steve shouting in into his megaphone so no-one can hear the questions the politicians are being asked. That is how remainers see democracy, mob rule, 'we're not bothered what the country voted for, it's all about what suits us the best.'

Just now, stephenterry said:

Democracy only works if the losers accept the result.

Complete BShite. What freaking rules? A referendum is an advisory vote, not a carte blanche to be undemocratic. And no, democracy by your understanding is completely false.

I would remind you that 26% of the total population is not a majority, whatever the referendum vote. MPs are obligated to represent and answer to their constituents. And they're exercising their democratic rights to do so. That's democracy in action, not a cliff jump lemming leavers opinion. 

Twisting the facts again, bye.

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It seems it did for leavers. 

Archived