Brexit campaigner Boris Johnson to stand as next Conservative leader

snoop1130

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

But he is a one trick pony - the Brexit Party has been shown wanting when it came to policies other than Brexit. As there are surely supporters from across the political spectrum, how do you think he will manage to keep them all united behind him if he achieves their single shared goal? Take away Brexit and he has nothing to offer the country.

Thanks RR, In all his interviews of late he has explained that his focus is on next Thursday which is completely understandable. He has also said that they'll be ready for a GE when the time comes which IMO won't be far behind.

Isn't Tracy Ullman a one-trick-wonder too?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, evadgib said:

Thanks RR, In all his interviews of late he has explained that his focus is on next Thursday which is completely understandable. He has also said that they'll be ready for a GE when the time comes which IMO won't be far behind.

Isn't Tracy Ullman a one-trick-wonder too?

I have stated previously on other topics (as recently as this morning) that I would not be surprised if the SNP was to split post indy. They, like the Brexit Party, are an umbrella party catering for lots of different viewpoints, but with a unifying goal. Once that goal is accomplished, their point of being becomes less relevant. 

So, would Farage be able to capture the popular vote across the UK post Brexit so that he could restore national pride? I am not so sure. 

11 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I have stated previously on other topics (as recently as this morning) that I would not be surprised if the SNP was to split post indy. They, like the Brexit Party, are an umbrella party catering for lots of different viewpoints, but with a unifying goal. Once that goal is accomplished, their point of being becomes less relevant. 

So, would Farage be able to capture the popular vote across the UK post Brexit so that he could restore national pride? I am not so sure. 

I am inclined to agree.

If PR and compulsory voting becomes the norm & UK gets two new Parliaments (British and English) as a result of this fiasco it won't take too long for us to bounce back.

(I was surprised to learn recently that England is the only country in Europe that doesn't have it's own Parliament).

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

(I was surprised to learn recently that England is the only country in Europe that doesn't have it's own Parliament).

It is worse than that, in my opinion, and there is no reason for it. You are being badly short-changed.

D3vPmjEXkAIBKt-.jpg

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

It is worse than that, in my opinion, and there is no reason for it. You are being badly short-changed.

D3vPmjEXkAIBKt-.jpg

I have never quite understood how we allowed this to happen, other than by not having our own Parliament to fight our corner.

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

I have never quite understood how we allowed this to happen, other than by not having our own Parliament to fight our corner.

I do. By consistently voting in a party who have a clear ideological loathing of public services.

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

But he is a one trick pony - the Brexit Party has been shown wanting when it came to policies other than Brexit. As there are surely supporters from across the political spectrum, how do you think he will manage to keep them all united behind him if he achieves their single shared goal? Take away Brexit and he has nothing to offer the country.

That’s what he’s there for,the same as the Brexit party, to regain our sovereignty from the E,u, When that is achieved the Brexit party will possible disband, and Nigel will go out to pasture. Job well done. 

What’s more to want?

D6B2180E-69CF-45F3-83FE-A416A5A5472E.jpeg

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

He probably could if he were willing to transform it in to a populist nationalist party that could attract votes from the working class left and right. Question is whether he'd want to do that. Does he have it in him. Would he be willing to break fully with the Neoliberal crowd? I'm not sure Farage is that guy. Fact he retired after the first Brexit suggests to me he will just walk away once it is all done so Brexit will need another charismatic figure to emerge to orchestrate that transformation if it wants a long term future.  

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

That’s what he’s there for,the same as the Brexit party, to regain our sovereignty from the E,u, When that is achieved the Brexit party will possible disband, and Nigel will go out to pasture. Job well done. 

And then what? He just buggers off and leaves others to pick up the pieces?

17 hours ago, Loiner said:

Another Remainer mind reader, falling into the same political & elitist mode of telling the masses the whys and what for. Based on more  anecdotal quotes that suit the Remain and Leftist agenda, they got it wrong again. Anything will do, just spin it to keep us in the EU and attempt to get LAB into power. 

Well it's better to explain the reasons, than to blindly lemming off a cliff edge and with no rationale for doing so.

If the UK did revoke article 50, I would be amongst the first to lobby the Labour party to address the EU's perceived shortcomings from within at a seat at the table, than on the outside looking in.

About time leavers accepted that to go it alone for the UK would be like trying to push a pea uphill. It just won't succeed.

All you leavers praying for remainer Teresa to be replaced by Boris, would do well to remember that he was a remainer in the first place.

He only jumped on the leave bandwagon when he thought it would help his career   

1 hour ago, tebee said:

All you leavers praying for remainer Teresa to be replaced by Boris, would do well to remember that he was a remainer in the first place.

He only jumped on the leave bandwagon when he thought it would help his career   

Hunt (& others) likewise. Rest assured not everyone on this side has fallen for it.

6 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Well it's better to explain the reasons, than to blindly lemming off a cliff edge and with no rationale for doing so.

If the UK did revoke article 50, I would be amongst the first to lobby the Labour party to address the EU's perceived shortcomings from within at a seat at the table, than on the outside looking in.

About time leavers accepted that to go it alone for the UK would be like trying to push a pea uphill. It just won't succeed.

Remainers still don't understand the reasons why we voted Leave, therefore are incapable of explaining to us. They will happily make up some for themselves though, while throwing in a good dose of insult and mockery. 

About time for Remainers to admit they lost, they got it wrong, that the UK will survive and thrive when not shackled to the EU.   

4 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

It only won't happen due to the traitors and liars in Parliament.

Parliament, in the main, are democratically elected by the population to ensure that the UK's best interests are upheld. It is undemocratic for a minority of the population to aim to force through a Brexshit that is not capable of benefitting the UK.  

From what I've read on here, leavers just want to leave without any consideration of what would happen after the event. To assume that any government is capable of handling the aftermath has been shown over the last few years as being false.

One thing for sure, if the CBI are firmly against a no-deal, you can bet your bottom dollar that it would be catastrophic for business and the economy.

13 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Parliament, in the main, are democratically elected by the population to ensure that the UK's best interests are upheld. It is undemocratic for a minority of the population to aim to force through a Brexshit that is not capable of benefitting the UK.  

From what I've read on here, leavers just want to leave without any consideration of what would happen after the event. To assume that any government is capable of handling the aftermath has been shown over the last few years as being false.

One thing for sure, if the CBI are firmly against a no-deal, you can bet your bottom dollar that it would be catastrophic for business and the economy.

Parliament rendered itself obsolete in it's current format as a result of their actions in the last 3 years. The Palace of Westminster is falling to bits anyway which is just as well 'cos the route-and-branch changes that are coming will reduce it to little more than a museum. UK can expect a new Parliament, as can the English (the only country in Europe without one!) and we can all look forward to PR knocking the 2 party/FPTP system into a cocked hat.

Who can we thank for all this....?

Image result for farage

Jim Pickard (‪@PickardJE‬)

21/5/19, 04:58

maybe a good moment to recall Heseltine on Boris Johnson: “A man who waits to see which way the crowd is running and then dashes in front and says ‘follow me’....”

I agree the two party system FPTP, is outdated and PR would be the best way forward. Having said that, it could make it even harder to reach agreement, as it is now with just two parties competing.

Farage has clearly captured the mood of the people who are rightly peedoff with both Tories and Labour parties. Tories, because of their political and idealogical infighting and Labour because of a weak leadership sitting on the fence.

Well, we'll see what happens when the Brexit party clean up at the EU elections and May's withdrawal bill is voted down in June. A new Tory leadership before the summer recess and  then everything is up for grabs... 

Just now, evadgib said:

Completely, yet that's exactly what has happened since the vote didn't go their way.

Both leavers or remainers are in a minority, democratically speaking as the UK has a populace of c.65m. This is possibly the main reason why parliament are aiming to achieve what is best for Britain, not just for one minority. 

And this catstrophic damage has been brought about by Cameron holding a polarised referendum, which will stay in place for decades, IMO. 

Cbi..obama..world bank..imf..soros..imo war criminal and sociopath blair all gave it project fear big time before the referendum
Whats new re the doom and gloom from likes if cbi
I DO notice that the confederation of small businesses who trade mostly WITHIN the UK have NOT came out with any project fear nonsence.
Wonder why,
Have s lovely day.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived