Need Advice: Starve to Death on the Street or Go to Jail?

joe234234

Sorry in advance, this is a dark post.

So I've been a digital nomad in CM for a few years. Recently lost my job, and in a real tight pinch.

Have been overstay now for a few months, because of money problems.

Down to the last few baht. So my question is:

What should I do? I'm a very capable with computers, but can't seem to find online work now.

Considering just turning myself in to get deported back to USA. At least can eat, right?

Do they give food to you in jail?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you get to an international airport with a valid onward ticket, you will be fined 20k bath max and be free to go. You'll still have to pay for your ticket if you go to jail first, but then it will be a lot more complicated and expensive to go. Try to get the money somehow instead.

Not a pleasant predicament, but you do have my sympathy.

I have sent you a PM with a suggestion and a contact for online work.

Turning yourself in when you don't have the 20,000 baht fine and the airline ticket home means you can expect a lengthy stay in Immigration detention until a friend or family comes up with the money.

Once you are back in funds, the situation is still grim, but a whole lot better than going to IDC broke,. You can go to the airport, pay the fine and leave without delay, albeit with a temporary blacklist from returning.

Yes, they do have food there, but if you don't have money to supplement what is on offer, you are again in a dark spot.

Had a few tough times in the past, but worked through it, so wish you the best.

The OP's IP address resolves to Chiang Mai, so he does not appear to be an offshore troll.

Constructive comments, not unwanted judgment please people.

Take a look at the DN C.M. FB group. I just saw the other day many people posting several websites where they are getting a lot of work.

Yeah, as the others said, I would avoid IDC at all costs. Get some work, raise some Baht, and get to the Airport.

Best of luck.

This is bullshiat. The title offers only two options when there are significant others. Asking “Do they give you food in jail?” Shows a level of ignorance hard to believe.

Also just a little research shows turning yourself in does not get you deported unless you have money to pay fine and buy your ticket. People have spent years in IDC. Easy info to find, this person is not competent with computers having had months to work on the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You should write a blog post or whatever it is people like you try to write in an effort to make money.  In it, detail how little money you made, how you probably did not have any proper medical insurance, probably did not have any proper accident or travel insurance.  Detail how you skirted the visa rules, and were always looking over your back dreading the day when you would be discovered on over stay. Detail why you don't have a return/round trip ticket, how you got to Thailand in the first place, etc.   Maybe somebody will toss some money your way. 

45 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

This is bullshiat. The title offers only two options when there are significant others. Asking “Do they give you food in jail?” Shows a level of ignorance hard to believe.

Also just a little research shows turning yourself in does not get you deported unless you have money to pay fine and buy your ticket. People have spent years in IDC. Easy info to find, this person is not competent with computers having had months to work on the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

lol good one

They spend years?  What happens if no one buys a ticket?  Life sentence?

Just get down to boots and buy some make up and hang outside a salon and make your own wig. Get on thaifriendly and just run with it. I did and 5 years later I'm still getting sponsored after just 4 months of video chats. Funds have dwindled lately because my clients were older guys but it's still 100k baht a year and I'm 34 so no spring chick, I'm married now so it would be even cheaper to start up since I could use her makeup

6 hours ago, joe234234 said:

So I've been a digital nomad in CM for a few years

Here a perfect example of why Thailand want foreigners to now lock up XXX amount of Baht & next to have health insurance.

Because fools like this exist

5 hours ago, madmen said:

Can't be that bad if he is desperate but not replying

Is that what your crystal ball tells you?

Honestly, did you really expect a reply to your little snarky "I couldn't care less" emoticon? 

All you have said in this thread is: you don't care, and his situation can't be that bad.

Now you wonder why you get no response to your fabulous contributions!

????????????

... you can't make this <deleted> up people... ????

hmmm...digital nomad (should be more than familiar w internet), in thailand for years (new tv user), unfamiliar w how to leave w overstay...as Forrest Gump said, 'stupid is....'

18 hours ago, mania said:

Here a perfect example of why Thailand want foreigners to now lock up XXX amount of Baht & next to have health insurance.

This is a perfect example of how useless those regulations are: those who can't follow them don't bother to report to immigration anyway.

20 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

U have to stay in jail until someone can buy u a ticket I read.  Maybe years?  What happens if farang can not buy a ticket after years?  Anyone know?

you find a lady boy to take care of you while you spend the rest of your life in prison.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, robusto said:

If you get to an international airport with a valid onward ticket, you will be fined 20k bath max and be free to go. You'll still have to pay for your ticket if you go to jail first, but then it will be a lot more complicated and expensive to go. Try to get the money somehow instead.

Being arrested and taken to court prior to deportation is usually much cheaper than the B20k max at the airport.

20 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

You should write a blog post or whatever it is people like you try to write in an effort to make money.  In it, detail how little money you made, how you probably did not have any proper medical insurance, probably did not have any proper accident or travel insurance.  Detail how you skirted the visa rules, and were always looking over your back dreading the day when you would be discovered on over stay. Detail why you don't have a return/round trip ticket, how you got to Thailand in the first place, etc.   Maybe somebody will toss some money your way. 

"Maybe somebody will toss some money your way". 

Sound to me as though that's what he wanted when he wrote the OP.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:27 PM, madmen said:

Can't be that bad if he is desperate but not replying

Perhaps he's had a lot of useful advice and has ceded to that.

Some folks seek a public acknowledgement. Some don't. 

21 hours ago, mania said:

Because fools like this exist

Actually, you’re the fool. The head of Chiang Mai immigration said digital nomads were welcome in Chiang Mai and did not need a work permit if they are not doing business with Thais. This is why so many are in Chiang Mai.

Archived