Jump to content
BANGKOK 27 June 2019 13:48
sanemax

Green bus to Chiang rai

Recommended Posts

Anyone been recently and bought  ticket just prior to departure or is it necessary to buy in advance?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

depends on the class, vip often full.
they have an app.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ticket office across from suthep McDonald's and Phra Singh... and didn't they get 711 in on it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I tried to buy a ticket to C.R. on Green Bus, I went 3 days before the day I wanted to travel and they were fully sold out for 12 days. Yes, there were more Chinese then, but still best too book a week in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back a few years , I just used to turn up at the bus station and buy a ticket for the next bus , usually within the next hour , last few times that I went in the morning, the buses had been sold out for the rest of the day .

    They now have red cars in the bus station, with take people from CM to CR for 300 Baht each

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elektrified said:

Last time I tried to buy a ticket to C.R. on Green Bus, I went 3 days before the day I wanted to travel and they were fully sold out for 12 days. Yes, there were more Chinese then, but still best too book a week in advance.

Even on very busy days during and just after holidays , you can ALWAYS buy a ticket for the next day  , it has never been fully sold out for the next three days , let alone 12 days .

   (Just as many Westerners use those buses as Chinese as well )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always buy 1 - 2 days in advance. More if it's during a Thai holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Going back a few years , I just used to turn up at the bus station and buy a ticket for the next bus , usually within the next hour , last few times that I went in the morning, the buses had been sold out for the rest of the day .

    They now have red cars in the bus station, with take people from CM to CR for 300 Baht each

Sitting in the back of a songtaew all the way to C.R. sounds incredibly uncomfortable! No A/C either. I wouldn't go even if it was free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Sitting in the back of a songtaew all the way to C.R. sounds incredibly uncomfortable! No A/C either. I wouldn't go even if it was free.

It is a terrible journey , I have had to do it a few times .

Arrived in C.R. absolutely battered .

There previously didnt used to be that red car "service " , which suggests that there is now a shortage of bus tickets to CR with those red cars leaving regularly throughout the day .

   I wonder whether its because there are more people making the journey or Green bus have reduced their buses on the route ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sanemax said:

It is a terrible journey , I have had to do it a few times .

Arrived in C.R. absolutely battered .

There previously didnt used to be that red car "service " , which suggests that there is now a shortage of bus tickets to CR with those red cars leaving regularly throughout the day .

   I wonder whether its because there are more people making the journey or Green bus have reduced their buses on the route ?

My guess is more people. The last time I went - about 16? months ago, the passengers were about 85% Chinese, 14% Thai. I was the only farang. When we arrived I happened to notice other buses unloading and they also appeared to have almost all Chinese passengers too.

 

I overheard a couple of elderly Thai ladies complaining because they couldn't get tickets and they "were Thai people". The attendant said that just like the trains, there are agents who buy up as many tickets as they can long in advance, confident they can sell them for large profits. And the same with the trains, as long as the passenger shows up the day before with their passport and agent and provides the info, it is all perfectly kosher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, elektrified said:

My guess is more people. The last time I went - about 16? months ago, the passengers were about 85% Chinese, 14% Thai. I was the only farang. When we arrived I happened to notice other buses unloading and they also appeared to have almost all Chinese passengers too.

 

I overheard a couple of elderly Thai ladies complaining because they couldn't get tickets and they "were Thai people". The attendant said that just like the trains, there are agents who buy up as many tickets as they can long in advance, confident they can sell them for large profits. And the same with the trains, as long as the passenger shows up the day before with their passport and agent and provides the info, it is all perfectly kosher.

Thats odd , because I use that route about once a week and dont ever recall seeing many Chinese people using the route , there were probably some that I didnt notice , mybe you just got on one bus in which a Chinese tour group booked ?

  Many Chinese tend to use private tour buses and go in groups .

When I do use that service , it usually seems to be about 90 % Thai and 10 % non Thais 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about these days but I used to be able to book on the day (except Thai national holidays). The service between CM and CR was frequent as some additional buses continued to Mae Sai. There was also a Mae Sai - Mae Sot service which also used the CR to CM route (and vice versa). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Going back a few years , I just used to turn up at the bus station and buy a ticket for the next bus , usually within the next hour , last few times that I went in the morning, the buses had been sold out for the rest of the day .

    They now have red cars in the bus station, with take people from CM to CR for 300 Baht each

300 baht? What a ripoff. X-class or A-class ( both aircon ) are 180 to 250 baht. The VIP, A and X classes seem to be only based on the age of the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

300 baht? What a ripoff. X-class or A-class ( both aircon ) are 180 to 250 baht. The VIP, A and X classes seem to be only based on the age of the bus.

VIP bus green line has 24 seats, the other classes 42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, orchis said:

VIP bus green line has 24 seats, the other classes 42

Never noticed, the A and X class are quite adequate for me. As they all look the same, my guess would be as the buses age, 24 seats are replaced by 42.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...