Xatral

swm59nj

Im in the USA planning on relocating to Bangkok soon. I take prescription drugs one of them being Uroxatral. It is for BPH. I have a mail order plan in the USA which I receive the generic form called Alfuzosin. If it was the brand name it would be more expensive. The drug I would have to take in Thailand would be Xatral. I know my mail order prescription plan in the USA is not valid in Thailand. But my insurance plan would reimburse me a certain amount when I go to a pharmacy in Bangkok and pay out of pocket.

For the heck of it I used Skype to call a Boots and Watsons pharmacy to get the cost of Xatral.  I was told by each pharmacist that they did not carry Xatral or Alfuzosin and I should try another pharmacy. Is this common? I would think this type of drug is not out of the ordinary. Do pharmacies in Bangkok only carry certain medications and you have to keep hunting for a pharmacy that does? I asked one pharmacist if there is a generic version of Xatral, and she said no. So Im guessing in Thailand certain drugs are only sold by brand names, and not generic?

Im kind of concerned because I take other prescription medications. And I just had my yearly physical blood work here in the USA. So who knows what else Im going to need to take LOL. Would I need to go to different pharmacies to see if they carry certain types of medications?

Boots and Watsons aren't really pharmacies.  They only stock a small range of drugs, and mostly sell cosmetics and toiletries.  (Plus, in my experience, they rarely have a pharmacist on the premises, so then can't even sell the drugs they stock.)

The distributor for Xatral is DKSH.  They should be able to tell you which pharmacies stock it.

Boots and Watsons aren't really pharmacies.  They only stock a small range of drugs, and mostly sell cosmetics and toiletries.  (Plus, in my experience, they rarely have a pharmacist on the premises, so then can't even sell the drugs they stock.)

The distributor for Xatral is DKSH.  They should be able to tell you which pharmacies stock it.

Fascino has it but a bit pricey. Over 1000 baht for a months supply.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

995 baht for 30 x 10mg XL type here.  This drug store does not carry everything but is a good initial check for many - and they do provide very good service with a valid receipt for insurance.

http://drugstorebangkok.com/product/xatral-xl-10-mg-30s/

If you are living here best to have local doctors prescribing locally available medications.

As others have said Boots and Watsons are not really phamramacies. There are many large pharmacies in Thailand but you'd need a Thia speaker to call most of them.

There is no generic brand of Xatral here.  And it is not in that wide use though larger pharmacies will have it. Prices have already been given, about 1000 baht for 30.

Re your other medications it would be useful if  you were to list them as for many things there are cheap Thai generics available, and most drugs that require a prescription in the US do not in Thailand.

It sounds like you are permanently relocating to Thailand, are you sure your insurance will still cover your prescriptions when you do? And what will you do re regular insurance? Outpatient cover is not usually necessary here but hospitalization insurance is essential and you will not be able to get a new policy with pre-existing conditions. Except for Tricare most US insurance policies will not cover you once living abroad, only for emergencies during brief visits..

Once you arrive, shop around and get to know the well-stocked pharmacies in your area. Build up a relationship with one of the pharmacists and you will be surprised how much prices drop.

In Chiang Mai I believe 850 Baht for a 30-day supply is the average. I pay less through a friend, so it pays to shop around, make friends, etc.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:39 PM, Sheryl said:

As others have said Boots and Watsons are not really phamramacies. There are many large pharmacies in Thailand but you'd need a Thia speaker to call most of them.

There is no generic brand of Xatral here.  And it is not in that wide use though larger pharmacies will have it. Prices have already been given, about 1000 baht for 30.

Re your other medications it would be useful if  you were to list them as for many things there are cheap Thai generics available, and most drugs that require a prescription in the US do not in Thailand.

It sounds like you are permanently relocating to Thailand, are you sure your insurance will still cover your prescriptions when you do? And what will you do re regular insurance? Outpatient cover is not usually necessary here but hospitalization insurance is essential and you will not be able to get a new policy with pre-existing conditions. Except for Tricare most US insurance policies will not cover you once living abroad, only for emergencies during brief visits..

I take Aciphex for acid reflux. Clarinex and Flonase spray for allergies. Celebrex as needed. But again I use the generic forms here in the USA. Thailand might not have those. And I just had my yearly physical here in the USA. I get the results of my blood work tomorrow. So who knows what else I will need to take LOL/

Im retired and have a health plan from my previous employer in the USA. I just pay around $100 USD per month more for it since Im not employed there anymore. Im actually a retired federal employee. My health plan has unlimited coverage overseas for everything. 

There are several local generic brands of celebrex here:

Celxib

Cybec

Painex

Zobrex

Rabeprazole  (aciphex) is here only in very expensive import brands.. Omeprazole available in many local brands and cheap.

Fluticasone (Flonase) is available only as expensive imports, brand names Avamys and Flixonase.

Desloratadine (clarinex) is available in local generic form brand names Allora 5 and Lorius.  Loratadine widely available in many local brands.

Archived