Marry a thai to avoid the visa problems and hassles?

2 friends have told me to marry a thai lady so I can stay long term in thailand without visa BS. 

Of course it will be with a girl I care/love, probably my gf but is this a good solution?

One of the friends has several wives in several countries for various reasons.   Says thais do not look at farang marriage as authentic anyways.  

Advice?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DingDongLing said:

great way to beat the visa BS every month.  And if marriage is not even internationally binding..... why not have a wife or multiple

Why is it not internationally binding ?

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Trolls don't deserve intelligent replies.

How am I trolling? I noticed a lot of low quality posts from high post users such as yourself. 

I bet your not even in Asia at the moment,  check my IP.  I am in thailand

Just now, DingDongLing said:

How am I trolling? I noticed a lot of low quality posts from high post users such as yourself. 

Ohh your in Thailand, that makes all the difference !!

• Haha 2

You can have an unofficial temple wedding in Thailand easily, which may satisfy the girl's family if they dislike the idea of their daughter cohabiting with a foreigner while unmarried. However, this is not an official marriage, and will not help you one iota with visa issues. To marry officially, among other things, you need an affirmation of freedom to marry from your embassy. If your embassy is aware that you are already married elsewhere (which they can know in a number of ways) they will not play along.

It is possible your friend has managed to marry in several countries while keeping this information secret from the authorities in his home country. Depending on the law in his country, he may be committing bigamy which is a serious crime.

• Like 1

I'm kinda struggling with seeing the logic here.

A marriage visa is certainly doable, but it's tortuous; photos outside your house, in your bedroom, reams of paperwork, 2 folks willing to attest you live together etc etc

Yes, it means you don't have to keep so much in the bank. But you are still subjected to the annual extension, 90 day reports.

So easier, less hassle? Well thats a debatable point

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, DingDongLing said:

The point being?

Anyone can use a VPN and show an IP anywhere in the world. 

Many posters here are travelers. 

Explain how an IP address informs one's credibility to post please.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If your embassy is aware that you are already married elsewhere (which they can know in a number of ways) they will not play along.

How can they know? I’d be interested to know how you know how they can know.

I walked in to the British Embassy with a pre-written affidavit, had it witnessed by the Pro-Consul, and left. They didn’t check anything! And under the stamp is written; “The British Embassy accepts no responsibility for the contents of this document”.

A completely worthless document and  waste of time and money.

In my experience they will “play along” as long as they get paid.