BANGKOK
webfact

More youngsters dying in road accidents

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I always drive my grandson to school. We are a rarity here in that we strap him into an actual child's car seat. There is an option for him to travel to school on one of those school minibuses but I'm not happy simply because the kids are crammed in like sardines and apart from the driver there is no adult supervision.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

A good example of someone who cares...

So... there's kids riding to school without a helmet on their own motorcycle at 12 yrs old. 

Then there's the kids at the same age with a helmet - slightly better off with regards to safety.

Then there's the kids with an adult riding, no helmets.

Then there's the kids with an adult riding, with helmets.

Then there's the kids in the back of a pickup

Then there's the kids in the a mini-van without seat-belts

Then there's the kids in a car driven by a parent without seat-belts or a child seat

Only then do we get to the responsible level of Parents driving their kids to school in vehicles with car seats and / or seatbelts...   I see so many kids in cars without seatbelts / car seats.. 

The only explanation is that the education and safety culture is purely absent - those in positions of decision making power simply don't care to ensure the masses are aware of the risk they are placing their children at. 

Its difficult for some as economics comes in to it and some families can't afford a car etc.. and thus the motorcycle is the only way if they are not on a convenient bus or mini-van route - But, these parents still don't get their kids a reasonable helmet... it seems insane. 

Edited by richard_smith237

This is a "top down" problem. The remedy must start at the very top but he doesn't give a rat's ......... about it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“We have now implemented the school-bus project in 32 provinces,” he noted, adding that many safe school buses now in service have not been registered with the Land Transport Ministry because they did not meet the standards. 

If the safe school buses do not meet the criteria then how can they be part of the project ?????????

Once again we have a bureaucrat sitting on his fat behind spouting sound bites from his plush office dreaming up grandiose schemes that always fail before they start. If they know of these unsafe buses then why have they not gone out and taken them out of service....impound them, and fine the drivers for negligence..............sorry.......forgot where I was for a moment there......... 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I think the only way the Thai gov't is going to get serious about enforcing helmets is if some big shot's kid dies as result of not wearing one. But the rich don't ride around on scooters, so that's not going to happen. 

me thinks if 100 rich kids die nothing will change because compounding lack of education, awareness, safety and critical thinking is a largely apathetic incompetent society.

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

You would think that,   they would take more care of there retirement funds.

Just goes to show, the true lack of care of just the parents or guardians.

Disgraceful.

Perhaps if laws were enforced with fines escalating in price for each subsequent infraction, the situation would work itself out. Everyday we can see underage kids who obviously have no license and wearing no helmet ride by cops who seem to forget what their job is supposed to be.

So, my message to the Thai cops is to start doing their jobs and save some lives. 

Or stop paying the cops if they don't do their job.

• Like 2

Perhaps if laws were enforced with fines escalating in price for each subsequent infraction, the situation would work itself out. Everyday we can see underage kids who obviously have no license and wearing no helmet ride by cops who seem to forget what their job is supposed to be.

So, my message to the Thai cops is to start doing their jobs and save some lives. 

I quite agree. NEVER enough cops around in school holidays. Theres so much i could say but better not. NOBODY cares. More interested in shafting retirees

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Or stop paying the cops if they don't do their job.

Reminds me of a book that I read years ago. 'Reinventing government'.

It describes how failure is being rewarded in our society. The more crime there is for example, the more money will be invested in police resources. Should be the opposite, increase in crimes, less investment in something that yields no results.

Less crime, more investment into something that works....

Seems to me the problem isn't so much driving motorcycles, but the massive number of cars recently  introduced to roads that weren't designed for them. Also, untrained drivers, who have given up two wheels for four, are careening down the road in massive pick-up trucks as though they are still twisting the throttle. Helmet-less mothers and children are hardly to blame for the recent carnage. They are commuting to school as they have been for decades before the introduction of cars and trucks in large numbers. Maybe cars and trucks should be taxed at a higher rate to pay for the damage caused. 

This is the factory of death!  The government and the police have made an exception to allow kids to take motorbikes to school or parents to deliver or pick them up because they need to get to school. Thinking they are doing Thai a favor when they are doing is contributing to the problem. 

Solution for start!  Chan o Cha needs to declare Section 44 and give the fix to someone outside of being Thai with full authority to remove anyone who stands in the way of saving lives! It can be fixed but not by a Thai or Thailand!

• Like 1