More youngsters dying in road accidents

webfact

Kids on motorcycles! Drove back from shopping yesterday at school chucking out time. At other times of the day motorbikes are being driven slowly by adults around here. At school closing time one notices that the motorbikes are being ridden at least twice as fast by schoolkids. Helmets?  Don't make me laugh! Nearest police are twenty Ks away garnering tea money. Surprised that the death rate is so low!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is partly due to the idiotic religious belief many here have that you will die when it's your fate to die. So that driving pissed up with no helmet and texting will only kill you if you are meant to die, nothing to do with how dangerous your behaviour is.

Relatives bf recently wiped out by a lorry, 'not him fault' Found out he had no helmet, no lights on the bike and a good chance he was speeding and drunk. They need to start educating the kids, it's too late by the time they leave School.

Father in flip flops and shorts riding the bike, behind him a 1 1/2 year holding to his waist, behind him the mother with a 6 month old in her arm. No one wears a helmet. Every evening at 6:30 (main traffic) they go shopping. When I saws it first, I was shocked and felt the urge to talk to them very polite, they gave me a look that said: f#*k off! Every day I wait for the news: they won't come back anymore...

Btw- I rode more than 200.000 km on big bikes throughout Asia and had only 1 accident (knocked off the bike by a 19 year old in a Honda Jazz running a red light in Bangkok)

If Thai parents saw that caring for their children’s safety ( which includes wearing helmets, being a proper age with a “real” driver’s license, following proper driving rules) was a “good merit” gesture for Buddhism, maybe they would be more serious about this issue; for, making good merit seems to be a religious priority for them. 

(And forget the police... I never see them enforcing safety on the roads.)

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

The problem is partly due to the idiotic religious belief many here have that you will die when it's your fate to die. So that driving pissed up with no helmet and texting will only kill you if you are meant to die, nothing to do with how dangerous your behaviour is.

First intelligent post in this thread. All this righteous bluster about police insouciance, tell me... what kind of police state would it take to stop kids upcountry too bored of the online games from proving their fearlessness by racing up and down the local streets of every hamlet around Thailand? Ever occur to you grumpy knuckleheads how many cops you'd need in order to monitor *all* or even most of the country roads these kids kill themselves on? Cameras, you say? Kids will just cover up their plates.

Tragic as it is, there is no fixing this problem because teenage kids need some stimulation, they need a way to get the girls' attention. The only activities that check both those boxes are soccer and driving the motorbike mommy bought for them in a way that makes people notice them.

There will be hand-wringing in editorials and cursory measures taken by different levels of govt to maintain the charade of interest in the problem. Bet the mortgage these statistics won't change appreciably, ever. You can't force kids whose programming is predeterminism to suddenly take measures to protect and value their own lives more.

It's all about money or the lack of for the poorer members of their society. Those who can afford helmets but don't buy are those who don't care, unfortunately. It is a cultural/religious problem. ???? 

4 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I think the only way the Thai gov't is going to get serious about enforcing helmets is if some big shot's kid dies as result of not wearing one. But the rich don't ride around on scooters, so that's not going to happen. 

Actually the use of helmets has risen over the years. I started visiting here in 1998 in the good old days I would say to see a Thai wearing a helmet was worthy of a party. As the years passed more helmets appeared as well as more road blocks to bust them for not wearing a helmet. The helmets went from the basket to their heads, yes there still fools who refuse to wear a helmet but what can you do about stupid. The group that cracks me up are the tourist who rent a bike but then want to be like Thais and not wear a helmet and here I thought farangs were smarter than Thais.

Just off to the Police station to finalize our case of 'careless driving', kid on a bike driving down the wrong side of the road slammed into us when turning right. He had no helmet, flip flops and we found out later he's always drunk- our fault apparently. Tried to point out to one and all the connection between dangerous conduct on the roads like this and the appalling death rate of bike riders- blank looks all round including the Police. Is there any hope for these people?

One word - sickening.

Shame on this country and it's 'government' - always struggle to keep a striaght face when using that word to describe this bunch of feckless pocket-lining c***s.

If needlessly slaughtering their own future by a rate of nearly 50 a day isn't enough to wake up them up then what is? Shameful, it's just another reason why I'll soon be leaving (and taking my family with me) for more enlightened parts. ???? 

5 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I think the only way the Thai gov't is going to get serious about enforcing helmets is if some big shot's kid dies as result of not wearing one. But the rich don't ride around on scooters, so that's not going to happen. 

so why you write what you have written....

everyday u see parents kids  going to school.some have younger kids included.all with no helmets and for sure no license.older kids with the own scooter.police do nothing even let they own kids do the same with a scooter for them.no wonder they is high death rate amoung them.it will not change anyway you look at it.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Parents urged to insist on helmets or have kids take safe school buses

Helmet - Check

Knowledge of rules of the road - ?????

Awareness of respect for other drivers - ?????

Understanding that driving any motor vehicle is privilege; not a birthright - ?????

Obeying rules of the road - ?????

Broken body due to accident but because of wearing a helmet your still alive to create more havoc - Check

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!

6 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Perhaps if laws were enforced with fines escalating in price for each subsequent infraction, the situation would work itself out. Everyday we can see underage kids who obviously have no license and wearing no helmet ride by cops who seem to forget what their job is supposed to be.

So, my message to the Thai cops is to start doing their jobs and save some lives. 

inn between I agree with you 100%. I drive my car every day and I have to be very careful because these young kids getting out of middle school and high school get on their motorbikes with 2 and sometimes 3 other kids and drive like they are the only ones on the road and do not care about other people or even their own safety 

4 hours ago, a977 said:

You mean masquerading as a Police force don't you.  Too busy counting the contents of brown envelopes to care about their children, bet if it was one of their kids killed it would be a different story. 

I blame the cops and the government.

The cops are clearly incompetent and corrupt.

The government should clearly see this and fix it. But the government is also clearly incompetent and corrupt.

If one is negligent and this negligence results in death, this is Called wrongful death and the negligent party can be convicted of negligence resulting in wrongful death. I think this applies to the cops and the government.

Their inability to fix this is almost treason. They have tons of blood on their hands.

A photo I took. It isn't just kids on motorcycles. Here we have a perfect example of the school having no idea about safety, the driver having no idea about safety, and the kids being brought up to have no idea about safety. None of them has a clue, and if they pass by a policeman you know what will happen. Nothing. Nothing at all.

Road Safety 1.jpg

ROAD ACCIDENTS kill more than 17,000 children and teenagers in Thailand every year

“We need to educate parents about the risk of motorcycles

You cannot educate people who do not listen.. everyone is aware of the risks posed by riding helmet-less on Thai roads... Thais are just too plain lazy to bother to go buy one or change their ways.

It can be solved in one week from now.. as Prayut loves 7 day changes.

Article 44..

As from 1st June every person in Thailand driving or passenger on a motorcycle MUST WEAR A HELMET !

No helmet 1,000 baht per person.... yo will see a remarkable change in peoples attitude.

Job done !!!

7 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I find it incredible that an adult needs to be educated about basic road safety, like wearing a helmet. Are they retarded?

They have a very different mentality than people from "Western" countries.

In some areas they are IMHO higher level than westerners. Like avoiding conflict and controlling their emotions in certain types of situations. And in these situations they view us westerners as children...

But in other areas, such as basic safety thinking etc they are at kindergarten level compared to the west.

Second order thinking.. they seem to have an extremely tough time with this... 

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

You cannot educate people who do not listen.. everyone is aware of the risks posed by riding helmet-less on Thai roads... Thais are just too plain lazy to bother to go buy one or change their ways.

It can be solved in one week from now.. as Prayut loves 7 day changes.

Article 44..

As from 1st June every person in Thailand driving or passenger on a motorcycle MUST WEAR A HELMET !

No helmet 1,000 baht per person.... yo will see a remarkable change in peoples attitude.

Job done !!!

And who is going to enforce this? The cops? And when the cops take small bribes or too lazy to do anything? Who will go after the cops?

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A photo I took. It isn't just kids on motorcycles. Here we have a perfect example of the school having no idea about safety, the driver having no idea about safety, and the kids being brought up to have no idea about safety. None of them has a clue, and if they pass by a policeman you know what will happen. Nothing. Nothing at all.

Road Safety 1.jpg

They are aware. They tried to make a crackdown on this specific thing and the public backlash was huge. 

People said they don't have a choice. They can't afford other transport.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/government-puts-hold-banning-riding-pickup-truck-beds/

If Thai people want it, they shall have it.

I think the police should focus on reckless drivers that are putting other road users at risk

“These statistics also reveal that the number of road-accident victims aged between 10 and 19 years has been rising,”

Statistics can be skewed to provide evidence in either direction of any argument.

We already know that a substantial number of deaths are in the 17-19 drinking and driving age.  To include 10-16 helps to make the argument for the government about helmets, but isn't necessarily accurate.  I wish they published numbers by age ... but then again, they would be similar to the figures touted by the tourism authority. :)

Ever see one of those "safe", "school baht buses" .... 50 kids shoved in a pickup truck hanging on for dear life?  Yeah, that is much worse than riding with mom on a motorcycle -- as slow as mom drives.

9 minutes ago, hobz said:

They are aware. They tried to make a crackdown on this specific thing and the public backlash was huge. 

People said they don't have a choice. They can't afford other transport.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/government-puts-hold-banning-riding-pickup-truck-beds/

If Thai people want it, they shall have it.

I think the police should focus on reckless drivers that are putting other road users at risk

You are half-right. The crackdown was on people riding in the truck bed, not about transporting kids to and from school.

Archived