BANGKOK
webfact

More youngsters dying in road accidents

Posted (edited)

The problem is partly due to the idiotic religious belief many here have that you will die when it's your fate to die. So that driving pissed up with no helmet and texting will only kill you if you are meant to die, nothing to do with how dangerous your behaviour is.

Relatives bf recently wiped out by a lorry, 'not him fault' Found out he had no helmet, no lights on the bike and a good chance he was speeding and drunk. They need to start educating the kids, it's too late by the time they leave School.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

'has cautioned parents against buying motorcycles for their teenager' !!!

How many are not even in their teens never mind actually legally old enough to drive!!😡😡😡😡

Edited by DPKANKAN
Spelling

If Thai parents saw that caring for their children’s safety ( which includes wearing helmets, being a proper age with a “real” driver’s license, following proper driving rules) was a “good merit” gesture for Buddhism, maybe they would be more serious about this issue; for, making good merit seems to be a religious priority for them. 

(And forget the police... I never see them enforcing safety on the roads.)

It's all about money or the lack of for the poorer members of their society. Those who can afford helmets but don't buy are those who don't care, unfortunately. It is a cultural/religious problem. 🤔 

Check out the gaze on the mom in the foreground. Does she not look like she intends to mow somebody down?

acting out their fantasy of living out of their favourite video game:

'Lemmings' image.gif.f736b974c4fc66607dcaaf8320ac1562.gif that's why this will never end!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I think the only way the Thai gov't is going to get serious about enforcing helmets is if some big shot's kid dies as result of not wearing one. But the rich don't ride around on scooters, so that's not going to happen. 

Actually the use of helmets has risen over the years. I started visiting here in 1998 in the good old days I would say to see a Thai wearing a helmet was worthy of a party. As the years passed more helmets appeared as well as more road blocks to bust them for not wearing a helmet. The helmets went from the basket to their heads, yes there still fools who refuse to wear a helmet but what can you do about stupid. The group that cracks me up are the tourist who rent a bike but then want to be like Thais and not wear a helmet and here I thought farangs were smarter than Thais.

• Like 1

Just off to the Police station to finalize our case of 'careless driving', kid on a bike driving down the wrong side of the road slammed into us when turning right. He had no helmet, flip flops and we found out later he's always drunk- our fault apparently. Tried to point out to one and all the connection between dangerous conduct on the roads like this and the appalling death rate of bike riders- blank looks all round including the Police. Is there any hope for these people?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

One word - sickening.

Shame on this country and it's 'government' - always struggle to keep a striaght face when using that word to describe this bunch of feckless pocket-lining c***s.

If needlessly slaughtering their own future by a rate of nearly 50 a day isn't enough to wake up them up then what is? Shameful, it's just another reason why I'll soon be leaving (and taking my family with me) for more enlightened parts. 😞 

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 2

You have parents buying kids a bike knowing they are under age, I know of one right now so the daughter can get to school although I did see her with a helmet on

5 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I think the only way the Thai gov't is going to get serious about enforcing helmets is if some big shot's kid dies as result of not wearing one. But the rich don't ride around on scooters, so that's not going to happen. 

so why you write what you have written....

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

sorry, which safe buses?

Yes indeed. Many here in rural Issan would do better heading to a scrap yard rather than a school!

• Like 1