BANGKOK
webfact

More youngsters dying in road accidents

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

sorry, which safe buses?

Relative term, one hell of a lot safer than motorbikes.

34 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I find it incredible that an adult needs to be educated about basic road safety, like wearing a helmet. Are they retarded?

The issue I see here is that if I had grown up watching my father, mother and older siblings all drive like idiots, there is every chance that I would drive like an idiot. Monkey see, monkey do.

3 minutes ago, Ian Pickles said:

Relative term, one hell of a lot safer than motorbikes.

Statistically motorbikes are a lot safer than "buses", but the way statistics are presented to us these days kinda meaningless, based on the huge amount of journeys made by motorcycles.

That must be costing the hospitals a fortune, quick, make them pay for comprehensive insurance before they're allowed out of their homes!

9 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Not entirely their fault, the education system and those who implement it take the blame here. 

"Education system" or indoctrination period, they are taught over a long period to be as dumb as planks, working well, they stay subservient and are still viewed as little more than "serfs" by the "rulers" who have just guaranteed their future for the 100 hundred years! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

The other day I watched a neighbors kid getting ready to set off somewhere with his sister on a motorbike. He had a helmet but spent an age trying to work out how best to carry it. There was some stuff in the front basket so he was worried the helmet may fall out. Holding it on the handlebars seemed awkward. The one thing he never considered was wearing it.

Bet he asked his sister to hold it for him.

The primary reason for the horrendous death tolls on the road, is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (a very weak PM.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. When is the last time you saw the highway patrol here, pulling over a car for reckless driving? The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends a trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

• Thanks 2

Helmet Laws should be STRICTLY ENFORCED~!!

I cringe every time I see toddler or young kid standing up on the seat between Mom n Dad.

Need serious penalties for NO HELMET......make it sting

1 hour ago, hobz said:

I blame the cops and the government.

The cops are clearly incompetent and corrupt.

The government should clearly see this and fix it. But the government is also clearly incompetent and corrupt.

If one is negligent and this negligence results in death, this is Called wrongful death and the negligent party can be convicted of negligence resulting in wrongful death. I think this applies to the cops and the government.

Their inability to fix this is almost treason. They have tons of blood on their hands.

Self preservation is a natural instinct in most people. I never needed police or government to instill this in me. People need to wise up too, you can't have 1 cop for every driver and rider! Sadly or stupidly, people seem to have NO self respect.

7 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Perhaps if laws were enforced with fines escalating in price for each subsequent infraction, the situation would work itself out. Everyday we can see underage kids who obviously have no license and wearing no helmet ride by cops who seem to forget what their job is supposed to be.

So, my message to the Thai cops is to start doing their jobs and save some lives. 

You fail to recognize the main reason the Thai police\government doesn’t enforce road rules/laws is that this is the  the Thai  method of population control.

7 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

All hot air.

Thailand does not care about it's citizens on the roads.

The figure of around 25,000 dead every year and christ knows how many disabled for life. is the proof. 

You should be ashamed of yourselves. 

Whist i agree maybe it should read Thailand does not care for any of its citizens  (apart from the magic 1%) that is

• Like 2

6 hours ago, a977 said:

You mean masquerading as a Police force don't you.  Too busy counting the contents of brown envelopes to care about their children, bet if it was one of their kids killed it would be a different story. 

No, it is the government by not supplying the police with the equipement that is needed for them to get out and do their job instead of the police officer having to buy his own uniform, gun and motorbike. If the government supplied this equipement and a reasonable wage then they would not go collecting brown envelopes and they could then do their job properly. Just look at the western police forces and see who supplies them with their equipement. But when you have a government that squashed an attempt by the Land Transport Office to increase the fines for not having a license because it might upset the people just so the people would vote for this clown so he can stay in power.

The Police turn a blind eye to schoolgirls riding bikes, 3 up, aged probably about 13. No helmets, no tax, no licence !!

• Like 2